Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
DPevin

Dana point Sunday 9/11

Lagged a bit this morning getting underway but we were on the water by 7. Tide was peaking at the high tide around 7:06. Water seems to have cooled off a bit. We headed out of the harbor and fished in front of doheny and capo beach, but out past the red bouy.

I launched first and as I waited for my two buddies I threw a fluke at a bouy just off baby beach and got a spotty first cast.

Made a nice sized mack right off the bat. Not too big. Set myself up on a drift and had the mack on bottom with a dropper loop. Was working the plastics on the bait caster for calicos with no luck. All the sudden rod in the holder has a nice steady bend, turns the kayak 90 degrees and even pulls me a few feet. I was stoked, knew it was something pretty big right away. Fought pretty good until I got it off bottom then went pretty dead weight. Started to hope and dream it was a Halibut, then it went on a nice run as I got it closer to the yak. Then I didn't know what to think it was. 2 more runs and I finally got a glimpse of it. Was surprised to see a Leopard shark. I was a little disappointed as the wife has be giving me a hard time for not bringing home anything to eat lately hah. But it was still cool as I have never caught one bigger than a foot before.

Another drift this time with squid on the dropper loop landed me probably my personal best calico. Had me stuck on something good for almost a minute but kept a steady bend on it and it came off bottom finally.

Hit a small kelp paddy on the way back to the harbor mouth and nabbed another calico on the drop with a fluke.

What started off as a slow day ended up pretty eventful. Was a good time as always. Hope everyone else else got some this weekend.
Attached Images

DPevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:09 AM   #2
Ro12

Nice job
Was gonna go out this morn outta Dana
But work popped up
Oh well
Bills before fishin thrills
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
DPevin

Tell me about it. I have 6 month old twins. I'm lucky to be getting out the once a week like I have lately. Been working days off and everything hah.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

That's about average size for a Leopard around Dana I'd say. I hear they're good eating too, but I don't keep them. They sure are pretty fish.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
DPevin

Yeah I agree, they look too cool. I don't think I'd ever keep one. It was a fun experience appreciating how strong it was, snapping a few pictures and letting it go.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
dpricenator

Dang! A keeper leopard is on my list. 36 inches and I'm taking it home.

Was surfing with my daughter last year right next to the jetty at Doheney. I saw something move underneath us. and tried to get the glare off the water. I got up on my knees so I could lookdown and there it was again. Then again and again. We had happened on a small bait ball that had 4 or 5 keeper leopards eating off it. I told my daughter to keep her hands and toes out of the water. I didn't want a finger being mistaken for a minnow. We watched them darting under us for about 10 minutes until they moved on. Ever since then I've wanted one.

Nice day of fishing you had, congrats
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
straightrod

I have read conflicting reports about the taste of Leopard Sharks. Has anyone eaten one and how was the taste?
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
Vikingj

Thanks for report and nice job in picking up some good fighting fish.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote