Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #1
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

PA 12 or 14

Just sold my outback and am Leary of moving up to the PA as its gonna be heavy to lug around and not sure of landing that beast. For those of you that move up to the PA- good? Or wish you had your outback or Revo still?
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
danjor

I love my PA14 as long as it's in the water and not sticking out 8 feet past my tailgate(shortbed tacoma), or having to bring it up stairs(just experienced that this week) or trying to put the wheels back in after landing, or dragging it threw sand, or just anything other than it being in the water. But I still love it lol

Last edited by danjor; 03-30-2015 at 10:12 AM.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Haha
That's what I was thinking!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

I just moved up from a 14' Malibu x-factor to a 2014 14' PA.

The added weight just makes it more of a hassle loading, unloading, storing etc..., but I forget all of that when I'm fishing and enjoying the additional stability. Once you get in the groove of handling and dealing with it out of the water, it's not so tough. The trade-off is worth it.
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
Dannowar

Or get a paddle kayak, lose 60 pounds in mass, and launch it from spots that reduce your paddle time from an hour to ten minutes.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
tsugg
LOWSPARK

PA

Most of the heavy hassels associated with moving the PA around on land can be reduced by buying the Wheeleze kayak cart with medium sized wheels. With a few simple mods you can make it fit the PA so you can literally move it around with one finger. The wheeleze doesn't use the scupper holes and that allows you to located the cart so that the PA is perfectly balanced and moves effortlessly. The best thing I've purchased for mine so far!
Be sure and buy or build the optional rails.
A wise PA fisherman on this site helped me set it up and the ease of moving it around is crazy easy now.
GET THE 14
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
YakDout
Brandon

From what I've heard, the 14 is faster and tracks better. Makes sense with the longer hull. I know I'm glad I chose the 14
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 AM   #8
5-20

I keep on drooling over the 2015 PA14s. Just not really sure yet if I want to get in one for what I could put into a boat.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
I keep on drooling over the 2015 PA14s. Just not really sure yet if I want to get in one for what I could put into a boat.

I thought the exact same thing....*maybe I should just get a used 17ft center console Hmmmmm ??* Then about 2 months ago, I pulled the trigger on a 2014 PA. I still can't believe I spent $3K....but its a great boat and a ton of fun.

...and I will never have engine repairs or boat licensing fees
Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
Fish Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
Most of the heavy hassels associated with moving the PA around on land can be reduced by buying the Wheeleze kayak cart with medium sized wheels. With a few simple mods you can make it fit the PA so you can literally move it around with one finger. The wheeleze doesn't use the scupper holes and that allows you to located the cart so that the PA is perfectly balanced and moves effortlessly. The best thing I've purchased for mine so far!
Be sure and buy or build the optional rails.
A wise PA fisherman on this site helped me set it up and the ease of moving it around is crazy easy now.
GET THE 14
FWIW... some guys who use PAs in my old kayak club in New York (KFA-NY) highly recommended this modified Wheeleze Kayak Cart with a C Tug Cart... (Mullet Miller Cart)

Jon Shein of KayakFishingStore.com sells them, and I believe sells conversion kits as well. Looks like the best of both worlds if you ask me... and better be, cause I just ordered one a few days ago!

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead View Post
I thought the exact same thing....*maybe I should just get a used 17ft center console Hmmmmm ??* Then about 2 months ago, I pulled the trigger on a 2014 PA. I still can't believe I spent $3K....but its a great boat and a ton of fun.

...and I will never have engine repairs or boat licensing fees

Or storage fees, or fuel fees for a boat, etc, etc, etc....
Old 03-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Wheeleze

I don't know how much those modified versions are but the only option you need are the rails. I relocated the rails in 3/4" on each side to match the hull ribs on the PA14 and its like magic, you lift the nose up swing it over the wheel eze and it self centers itsself. Those optional rails were I think $20 or you can build them yourself.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

Thanks for all of the replies.

I pulled the trigger on a new 2015 PA 14. I tried the Revo and it was fast but tight. Then "Spoiler Alert" once you get in the PA14 its all over. Pick it up today!

Thanks
Todd
Old 04-01-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
ashmoz

congrats on the new boat. I might pick up my new PA 12 today too. Have you figured out what to do with the HDS-5 transducer (if you are going the HDS route) and the "lowerance ready" thing? I hear the transducer doesn't fit in the slot... Would be nice to not have to glue to the bottom if possible.
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #15
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmoz View Post
congrats on the new boat. I might pick up my new PA 12 today too. Have you figured out what to do with the HDS-5 transducer (if you are going the HDS route) and the "lowerance ready" thing? I hear the transducer doesn't fit in the slot... Would be nice to not have to glue to the bottom if possible.
Seems like this topic gets beat to oblivion. Don't know how there can be so much confusion. My 50/200 HDS transducer fit in lowrance ready with no mods. I think you might be the 45th person I have told.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:33 PM   #16
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

On my 2014 PA, Fastlane here in SD installed the larger transducer from my Lowrance FF. They had to modify it a bit to get it to fit. I slipped them $20 extra. No biggie and it works great.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #17
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

It seems to be a large cavity? I have a diff FF.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:14 PM   #18
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Seems like this topic gets beat to oblivion. Don't know how there can be so much confusion. My 50/200 HDS transducer fit in lowrance ready with no mods. I think you might be the 45th person I have told.
x2. Mine fit like a glove! Or at least that what the people who installed it said. Lol
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote