Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
YakMedic

Western Sierra Fishing

Im going up to the central valley next week to see family. Then Im cutting up the hills to a campground at Lake Huntington. Looks like a pretty cool lake but the more I read into it, its an awesome sailing lake due to constant strong winds.

On that note, Shaver lake is about 20miles away and seems friendlier as a kayak lake. Anyone ever fish Shaver? It holds land locked salmon which I would love to target but havent the slightest clue.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
danjor

I have fished shaver a couple times and I never had any luck but there are salmon. Only prob with targeting salmon is you need a downrigger to get down to them. I have had more luck with the creeks around those lakes. Im probably going to be going to fish dinky creek which is in that area this week only downside to the creeks is there too small for a kayak but fun fishing if u do a lil hiking. Going on a trip and stopping by there.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
I have fished shaver a couple times and I never had any luck but there are salmon. Only prob with targeting salmon is you need a downrigger to get down to them. I have had more luck with the creeks around those lakes. Im probably going to be going to fish dinky creek which is in that area this week only downside to the creeks is there too small for a kayak but fun fishing if u do a lil hiking. Going on a trip and stopping by there.
Thanks Danjor, I wasn't sure how deep the salmon held at, but I can always dream. I'll bring some small gear for hitting up the creeks. Still bringing the yaks for me and the wife to do a little touring.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
PescadorPete

Here is my Huntington lake report from a few weeks ago:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11126

We stayed at Kinnikinnick. The wind didn't blow all day long. It comes up from the west in the afternoon so I would fish east to west and then let the wind help me back. There was plenty of time during the day with no wind, especially in the mornings. Once you are up at Huntington, it so nice, its hard to make that drive all the way down the hill to Shaver.
PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadorPete View Post
Here is my Huntington lake report from a few weeks ago:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=11126

We stayed at Kinnikinnick. The wind didn't blow all day long. It comes up from the west in the afternoon so I would fish east to west and then let the wind help me back. There was plenty of time during the day with no wind, especially in the mornings. Once you are up at Huntington, it so nice, its hard to make that drive all the way down the hill to Shaver.
Thanks Pete,
I remember reading this report too... I didn't know where huntington lake was until I booked my camp last week.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
danjor

Im attempting to try something new this time for trout. My ultralight is spooled up with 4lbs test green spectra and im going to try to use very light florocarbon leaders. I tryed useing straight 4lbs spectra in my local mountians and trout didn't seem to mind. But I definitely love this light spectra. Keeps more line on reel than mono so it keeps my ultralight from getting spooled as easy when I get something big.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote