Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
WahooUSMA

Western Pride

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/in...gay-pride.html

I don't know if this link will open up...BD closed it after 34 posts. The original post is "Western Gay Pride". I wonder why? Maybe Davies locker pay's for advertisement on their (BD) site. Anyway, be careful out there. I know Roeboat and Premo personally, and they are my good friends, so I know they are not B S'ing about the scenario. Anyone going out on Thursday???? I am stuck in Boston until then.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
Zurc
Junior

Is this something that happens allot out on the water or is it fluke?
Zurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Gino

They will lock threads or delete post that take away from there buisness. This forum does the same thing Roger.

bloodydecks is a buisness. And boat owners are the majority. So your not going to get an kudos of sympathy for posting anything there. they have a kayak forum that is largely inconsistant

Ive had the Daveys/newport boats buzz by me pretty close many times. even one or two close calls. I just flip them off I stay out of the boaters way and fish during the week, newport is a zoo summmer and on weekends.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurc View Post
Is this something that happens allot out on the water or is it fluke?
In La Jolla we get buzzed by The Dolphin and New Seaforth.

Just ask Rick - Baja709.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

Sportboats are threatened by the popularity of kayaking, as it takes away from their ridership and bottom line. Imagine if he had swamped the yakker, or the kayak had rolled. All His riders would of laughed and they would be that less likely to try kayaking.

I have a friend with connections to SAC the Sportboat lobby. He once overheard one of the lead guys talking about MLPAs and Kayaks and the fact the kayakers were going to get hit worse than anyone. The Sportboat lobbyist said F-em, if they can't fish thier kayaks they will have to climb back on our boats.

As to BD, WON, etc... Those organizations need sportboat advertising or sponsor money to survive, so there will always be bias when it comes to these things. Ultimately it's always about the money.

Sad but true.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
-scallywag-
Banned

another intersesting note about BD.com.....

with the past 3months of insane inshore fishing you would expect to see alot more reports on the "bite" that have been poping off up and down the coast...about a week ago I saw one of those posts pop up during a hot WSB bite in LJ and it instantly disapeared...I pm'd the author, an obviously stoked newbie, asking why he deleted the post so quikly. He told me that he didn't pull it and that he had got a PM stating that the post was pulled because he was indorsing products, and also that making info like that public would not be good for anyone.... which "I" agree with, but then again I'm kinda bias .

I'm not saying I disaggree with what BD did, or does....I just thought it was interesting considering they also run fishdope, which is probably something like the "old BD" where info flows freely between anglers....u just gotta pay for it!!!! why would you give that info away when you can sell it?
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
j mo

haha^
They didnt take down this one though-

"I've been hearing over and over people saying fishing sucks. I found out today that they were not lying. FISHING SUCKS.

I've fished this coast for over 50 years and have never seen anything ever close to this! 50 years! I could safely say that all the other nine bad years combined would get close to this year.

With that out of my hair I'll give you my fish report for today.

1) begin of fishing report:

2) End of fishing report

Thats all I can say about today. Read it over carefully, I spent a long time trying to arrange my thoughts into this report.

BTW: Forgot the weather part of this fish report was kind of nice. The
weather was kind of nice with minor wind that only picked up slightly to 15mph after noonish. The water leaving Mission Bay was a chilly 62 degrees at the entrance, with only 2-3ft height, no white caps. Water was a little greenish.

At La Jolla the water temp outside the kelp varied from just over 67 degrees to
69.3 at the north end. Kelp was all wrong, pointing due north, and mostly pushed down by the strong current."

Worst season ever?Really? Then I cant wait till it turns on....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
PAL

Quote:
I have a friend with connections to SAC the Sportboat lobby. He once overheard one of the lead guys talking about MLPAs and Kayaks and the fact the kayakers were going to get hit worse than anyone. The Sportboat lobbyist said F-em, if they can't fish thier kayaks they will have to climb back on our boats.
That tune quickly changed once the MLPA process got going. Kayak anglers can take much or even most of the credit for keeping La Jolla open - that's something the sportboats benefit from too. Also keep in mind many of us climb onto sportfishers to get a tuna fix or go long range.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
That tune quickly changed once the MLPA process got going. Kayak anglers can take much or even most of the credit for keeping La Jolla open - that's something the sportboats benefit from too. Also keep in mind many of us climb onto sportfishers to get a tuna fix or go long range.
Pal is right. There was times at meetings the guys wearing the BD shirts, and sport boat shirts leaving early... Santa Ana being a perfect example of it. Kayakfisherman carried the fight against the mlpa when it came to representation, and being modest about fish they take.

Personally I'm one of those guys who used to fish out of Dana Wharf every weekend. I almost became a deckhand for the Dana Pride. Then i saw kayakfishing. got into it and havent been on a party boat since. I see the level of Service the long range boats produce. And you get what you pay for. But local sporties... they are a waste of time and money for me. They are cool to take a kid, or a non kayakfisherman out on. Hell the crew could do everything right, and the fellow passengers could screw up a whole trip for others.

Im pretty sure if you are hit or flipped over by a boat, and you werent in a direct shipping lane, The boat's owners are responsible for your loss in equipment and damages. But im not sure the grey area on that.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
another intersesting note about BD.com.....

with the past 3months of insane inshore fishing you would expect to see alot more reports on the "bite" that have been poping off up and down the coast...about a week ago I saw one of those posts pop up during a hot WSB bite in LJ and it instantly disapeared...I pm'd the author, an obviously stoked newbie, asking why he deleted the post so quikly. He told me that he didn't pull it and that he had got a PM stating that the post was pulled because he was indorsing products, and also that making info like that public would not be good for anyone.... which "I" agree with, but then again I'm kinda bias .

I'm not saying I disaggree with what BD did, or does....I just thought it was interesting considering they also run fishdope, which is probably something like the "old BD" where info flows freely between anglers....u just gotta pay for it!!!! why would you give that info away when you can sell it?

Just like Gino said, Bloodydecks is a business and so is Fishdope.com. I spend more time on BWE now but I'm still a member of Bloodydecks with about 1500+ post and counting. One thing to keep in mind is that if private boaters post where the hot bites are Fishdope will lose members and BD may loose a sponsor. I've seen post on BD when boaters post info about a recent trip but they will not give details about the location. The minute that someone ask the who, what & where they will tell you to sign up with Fishdope for more details. Like I said, its a business that feeds a business.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Gigafish

Have your video camera ready. If you have it on video tape you can get the Coast guard involved or take it up with the owner.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigafish View Post
Have your video camera ready. If you have it on video tape you can get the Coast guard involved or take it up with the owner.
Pics and vids don't lie.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #13
-scallywag-
Banned

I was just reporting what I recently found out about the connection between BD and FD that was sparked when I read Jim's "Ultimately it's always about the money." quote. Like I said... I like BD's censoring posts!!! and while we are "following the money"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
Ultimately it's always about the money.
X2 - Couldn't be more true...and as far as I know LJ is still on the chopping block.

Just because the enviro-nazi's (aka: MONEY) have us placated with our little "victory" dumping Don.....and just because LJ proper isn't on any of the current maps infront of the DFG commission doesn't mean that it won't happen...they are just trying to stay under the radar until the last minute "swoop" has been carefully choreographed and PAYED for....this has been the SOP for many offroad closures over the past two decades, including closures enforced on private lands...so don't think this will be any different.

EXCEPT.....if we take action.....IMHO if we loose one sq.ft of ocean we have all lost, big time. Compromise should not be an option with the "science" they have brought to the table, and more importantly who funded the "science"....keep a close eye on the N.coast mlpa closeures and the native american tribes up there...they have been showing up to meetings in a little more "forceful" manner, and lets see if the board makes a special "exception" for the native americans, if they do, we follow suit....
Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
Gino

Scallywag i dunno why you like the fact BD cencors post...half the BD guys have a BWE acount and check the reports here...
Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
-scallywag-
Banned

hahahaha.....a LJ post on BD will have 10k hits in a day, posts on here may get 300?? also BWE members have, for the most part, learned to sensor themselfs..... doesn't matter anyway, I get all my hot bite info from the baytubers site!!!.

As for the real topic of this post, I think the kayak cam is a must....how else are you going to document that big fish that got away at color, big GWS sighting....or duchenossle captains. I usually keep a cheep camera that does video on a string around my neck to document all the offshore action, whatever it may be. And as far as the sporties are concerned I just try to stay out of their way, if they are coming twards me I just reel everything up and prepair for evasive manuvers, they still will come annoyingly close but whatever.....I always see a buncha yaks fishing all up in their chumline so I guess it makes the captains feel better when they get a chance to throw a little (huge) wake in our direction.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #16
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Scallywag i dunno why you like the fact BD cencors post...half the BD guys have a BWE acount and check the reports here...

100% true. At least for me it is. I can't remember the last time I checked BD for a kayak fishing report. I have nothing against BD, its just that don't see many post about kayaking. When I owned a boat I was on BD all the time, now that I'm fishing from a kayak I use BWE.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #17
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post
duchenossle
Haha. That is sweet, I am going to have to use that one.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
-scallywag-
Banned

hahaha....I stole D-nossle from fishinado....

ohhh yeah....and this am I found one more use for the video cam......