Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Rastajow
Junior

Thumbs up The new Guy

Hi everyone, I am very new to this forum and the sport itself. I just got a kayak two weeks ago (ocean prowler 15), never launched it from the beach yet, only the bay.

If anyone planning to fish la jolla anytime this week, PLZ INVITE ME.

Rastajow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
TCS

Welcome
Here is some good advice:
Hire a guide.
It will save a year or two of doing the wrong thing.
Josh or Kevin, which one just depends on personal style.
You'll be happy you did.

Some other advice: learn to predict wind and waves.
Stay safe.

Good luck.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
NEEFFF

Welcome!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

Sweet! welcome to the site Rasta! Lots of valuable information on this site.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
Mr Fishback

Welcome. Good hunting out there!
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Yakin

Welcome to the forum world of killer fishing
the season is about to blow up
If you have any questions just post it up and you will get more answers then you can bargen for
Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Rastajow
Junior

Thanks for the welcome everyone.
I am going to 305 Sea Ln, La Jolla, CA 92037 today to try out a new launching spot.
I tried la jolla shores yesterday but i couldn't do it alone, had to drop my kayak off and find a parking spot in another location.

does anyone have a fav location to launch if you are going solo??? (in la jolla)
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
RK

Yeah sure my favorite solo launch area is right next to the shores:

You can't miss it the second you arrive someone will ask you what you caught, where, what time, what bait, what color undies you've got on, is there squid,whats your blood type, "do you know The Kid", "do you know The Darkhorse","Have you met Scallywag", did you hear about the seabass [insert anyones name here] caught,blondes or brunettes, did you see anyone else catch anything?
(Questions may not necessarily be in that order).

If you still have a tough time finding it look for the guy in his car parked the wrong direction at the end of avenida de la playa with his binoculars focused at the point pretending to be whale watching.

If you have launched and landed and are still not sure if your in the right zone don't worry.......

Upon landing you will promptly be asked the following questions also not necessarily in the following order:

what did you catch, where did you catch it, what time, what bait, what color undies you've got on, is there squid, whats your blood type, "do you know The Kid", "do you know The Darkhorse", "Have you met Scallywag", did you hear about the seabass [insert anyones name here] caught,blondes or brunettes, Did you see anyone else catch anything?

Viva La Launch Lurkers

(end of avenida de la playa is your best bet)

In all seriousness Welcome Aboard.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
lbsurf2ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Yeah sure my favorite solo launch area is right next to the shores:

You can't miss it the second you arrive someone will ask you what you caught, where, what time, what bait, what color undies you've got on, is there squid,whats your blood type, "do you know The Kid", "do you know The Darkhorse","Have you met Scallywag", did you hear about the seabass [insert anyones name here] caught,blondes or brunettes, did you see anyone else catch anything?
(Questions may not necessarily be in that order).

If you still have a tough time finding it look for the guy in his car parked the wrong direction at the end of avenida de la playa with his binoculars focused at the point pretending to be whale watching.

If you have launched and landed and are still not sure if your in the right zone don't worry.......

Upon landing you will promptly be asked the following questions also not necessarily in the following order:

what did you catch, where did you catch it, what time, what bait, what color undies you've got on, is there squid, whats your blood type, "do you know The Kid", "do you know The Darkhorse", "Have you met Scallywag", did you hear about the seabass [insert anyones name here] caught,blondes or brunettes, Did you see anyone else catch anything?

Viva La Launch Lurkers

(end of avenida de la playa is your best bet)

In all seriousness Welcome Aboard.
Ryan don't be modest. They now ask do you know RK? Where does he halibut fish? I always see him dragging yellowtail underneath his kayak. Is he a guide? Haha
Old 04-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
RK

Dom......

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Yakin

wheres this Infamous RK guide dragging these YT
haha does he give free tours?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
RK

Oh that RK guy, sure he fishes out of a 10 foot white livingston skiff, and wears orange Grundey's..
Usually, especially in the dark he will be in one of the gunnels sleeping, just mosey on over knock on the side of the skiff and say hello, he most certainly has squid to give out, he loves people coming up to him at 2 in the morning, and loves to chat about gear and forum gossip at that hour.
Sometimes he goes by the name of Dan (I know weird huh)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
maui jim

Wow....Not one of you told him the rules......Shame on all of you......
NEW GUY BRINGS THE BEER!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
dorado50

Funny stuff right there RK! When folks come up and ask the question "what did u catch" I reply "a mermaid" they get a perplexed look on there face and mosey along! The strangest question ever asked to me "how long does it take u to clean up that kayak" I was perplexed! And moved along.....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Rastajow
Junior

So i went out today for the first time in la jolla shores. I found the launching spot... but i had to leave my dam kayak unattended for sometimes while i drove around like a freaking shoebie in New jersey..
anywho... my kayak was still there when i got back. Launched into the wave for the first time and it went great, got sea sick lol and Yacked all over my kayak.... it was pretty gross but i think it made some pretty good chum haha.

due to sea sickness
didnt catch anything on my first day out except the depression....
though i did see lots of fish and dolphins.

on the way back into shore i got raped, lost a pole. i was expecting to fuck up on my way in so i only took one pole (Shitty old one) and lost it.

over all, it was pretty good, woulda been better with a fish.
like this one...
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
Mobsan

Hey Rasta, Im heading out around 0530-0600 at the Shores tomorrow. I lost a ton of crap last year on my first return cause I didn't have my straps yet. Spend the money or rig up something cheap yourself and secure Everything. Even coming in on 18" surf you can roll sideways and dump. Anyhow, sorry bout your puking and good luck out there. I am still very green myself and have a lot to learn, but am super pumped about this season,
Mobsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastajow View Post
So i went out today for the first time in la jolla shores. I found the launching spot... but i had to leave my dam kayak unattended for sometimes while i drove around like a freaking shoebie in New jersey..
anywho... my kayak was still there when i got back. Launched into the wave for the first time and it went great, got sea sick lol and Yacked all over my kayak.... it was pretty gross but i think it made some pretty good chum haha.

due to sea sickness
didnt catch anything on my first day out except the depression....
though i did see lots of fish and dolphins.

on the way back into shore i got raped, lost a pole. i was expecting to fuck up on my way in so i only took one pole (Shitty old one) and lost it.

over all, it was pretty good, woulda been better with a fish.
like this one...
Get yourself some rod leashes they have you a lot of problems
and as for you sea sickness theres a pill out there I used for years when I know I'm going out on bad seas in a small boat
its called bonnien check them spelling
I can get you the correct name tomorrow take a pill the night before and the morning of you will be good all day the day you go out!!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
Rastajow
Junior

yea i have two leashes.. but forgot it in the car and didnt want to walk all the way back to Africa... It was so fucking far lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
Rastajow
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobsan View Post
Hey Rasta, Im heading out around 0530-0600 at the Shores tomorrow. I lost a ton of crap last year on my first return cause I didn't have my straps yet. Spend the money or rig up something cheap yourself and secure Everything. Even coming in on 18" surf you can roll sideways and dump. Anyhow, sorry bout your puking and good luck out there. I am still very green myself and have a lot to learn, but am super pumped about this season,
yea i would love to go tomorrow but i think i should rest up for one day, it was my second day in a row out and i am a newb. I will go buy some sea pills.
mr.adventure (luke) invited me to go with him on Saturday morning, i think i will do that. Would be very cool if you can join us. msg me and i can give ya my digit.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
taggermike

Take it easy, big fella. Not feeling comfortable solo, getting seasick, dumping rods, thats no way to start out having fun in this sport. It's difficult, not to mention frustating, expensive and occationally dangerous to push or hurry your learning curve. Do you have a history of seasickness? Get that straitend out. SS can mess up your equalibrium. Not good on a yak. Practice your launches and landings a bit befor you load on gear. Knowing how your kayak will respond in different conditions it a GREAT thing to know. Surprises suck in the surf zone. Others may disagree but I have a Prowler 15 and I have never found it to be a good surfing kayak. On top of that it has very small, and not many, scupper holes. 2 are under your butt and 2 are under your feet. When you take a wave in the lap the deck takes what feels like a long time to drain. While its draining the yak is half sunk and handle like a pig. I try to use the big strength that kayak does have. Its fast and I try to pick my time and just sprint paddle for all I'm worth both out and back in. Good luck and enjoy. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote