Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
lamb

inernet posting

These few recent comments inspired me to spin the thread on mechanics of posting... I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately. I’d be interested to see what other folks think on the subject.

Just like everything else on the internet, these fishing boards are constantly evolving. What these forums are today is nothing like what they used to be 4 or 5 years ago. There are no “policies and procedures” on internet posting. It kind of bothers me when I see people almost trying to create them. In my opinion, it is highly personal thing – post if wish, keep lurking if you don’t. Both is fine with all of us reading, I think.

The problem with public fishing internet forums is that you have a group of people that feel they are obligated to get other people’s intell... ?!? I personally believe that’s probably one of the biggest downers for these boards. It creates this negative vibe – one dark comment seems to have the same impact power like 10 positive ones.

There is no doubt there are numerous benefits of exchanging information on these forums. I’ll be the 1st one to admit that the information I soaked from the internet greatly reduced my learning curve in getting to know the ropes of South CA fishing. Anyone who tells you that they knew it all (and have made a daily routine to hang out on internet fishing boards), I think that’s BS.

Sure thing – nothing beats the time on the water. But having the place on the internet where you can exchange the info and reports with other people that are into the same game, get to know people and even strike some friendships – sounds great to me. This is especially true for kayak fishing. The sport is still pretty new, there are more and more folks getting into every day. There’s some dead serious information that they better soak on these boards before they venture in to the open ocean. I'm not even talking about fishing.

Judging whether someone is a sportsman based on whether they put up a report, “a timely report” (wow, deadline requirements), or don’t report at all, is rather... bold and silly, if you ask me.

In absence of free time to fish, I know that I, for one, dig and thoroughly enjoy other people reports. Good or bad days - it's all good.

It’s just fishing people. Reading these boards, it sometimes seems to me we’re getting way too serious about it.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
wavster

Amen brotha!

...I'd post more, but I've got to wait a couple of days until the secret bite is over. lol
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

This subject has already been beat to death. Crowds suck. Want to see a crowd? put a wfo advertisement on a couple kayak sites or BD, AC etc then try and say the internet doesn't affect the crowds. There will be a couple hundred kayaks/boaters within days. If there were more easy launch spots and more coastline easily accessible it probably wouldn't be so bad.

When wcw is over, I will no longer have a reason to post fish, if I ever catch one again. I'll continue to fish and enjoy time on the water.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 02-12-2008 at 06:10 AM. Reason: corrections
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
wavster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
When wcw is over, I will no longer have a reason to post fish, if I ever catch one again. I'll continue to fish and enjoy time on the water.
Is this the last year of the WCW?
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
Is this the last year of the WCW?

No no.

We're just not going to let Tyler play next year.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
esdees
The Good Clone

I'm with you Adi. Post if you like, but don't think it means that everyone else should. Personally, if I'm going to submit something to WCW, I do it within a few days of catching it. The sooner the better, but I don't always have the time at home to get all the pictures up, and I refuse to do that much fishing related stuff at work.

I like sharing information, but it starts to suck when you know the vast majority of the people you're sharing with are holding back. That makes you want to stop sharing, and then you become one of the ones holding back.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #7
madscientist

I don't really even read public reports anymore because I try to fish when I feel like fishing, which is often as much a function as having friends OTW as it is having specific intel on a bite. I've enjoyed the fact that WCW provides some goal and structure to my fishing and the extra motivation to get out of bed some mornings, but I've come to hate the element of feeling like I should care what somebody else catches. In fact, I've enjoyed this site much more since I figured out how to use the "ignore" list. If only it worked on the water.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
There is no doubt there are numerous benefits of exchanging information on these forums. I’ll be the 1st one to admit that the information I soaked from the internet greatly reduced my learning curve in getting to know the ropes of South CA fishing.
I have been fishing for almost two years now and I still feel like a total Noob, I am ever learning and will continue to learn from the posts and experiences of other kayak anglers. I learn from talking, watching, and asking questions, as well as "gleaning" from the boards. So far it has not helped me catch anything!
But, I do greatly appreciate those that openly share their knowledge and experience with those of us that are still learning. If it weren't for the "crowds", the industry would leave all of us without the gadgets, toys, mothership trips, comradeship, and great stores like OEX, AYS, etc.

To those that do not wish to share... Good for you, none of us should feel any pressure to do, or post anything we don't want to! Except Brad... He needs a handicap of some kind anyway!! We are all out there to enjoy, soak in the beauty, the atmosphere, and, oh ya, to fish!

Post if ya want to...
Don't post if ya don't want to...

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Posting of fish reports versus tips and tricks are different. I don't have a problem posting and sharing info about what knots are best, what brand or # of line, what lures work and so on. When I first started some very generous people helped me when I was a newbie and I am thankful for that. The boards are a great resource, and almost all questions have been answered already if you look through the archives.

As for my feelings on fish reports, I already commented on that.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 02-12-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: over it, go fish.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

I am considering posting all my reports here.......so nobody will see emlol

http://www.yakfishing.com/board/view...d0ae88d7f6b906
Old 02-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
dorf

Post if you have something to say or a question to ask.

I would love to post a report but I have been on such a dry spell this year I have nothing to report. I read other reports and that is enough to keep me going out in the hopes of catching “The Big One” to tell you all about.

I like to hear what people have to say and really like being able to help someone else out, if I can.

Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish between good natured ribbing and a total A-Hole but in general most people who respond mean well. We have a great group of people on the site and I look forward to sharing the water with you.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
sdtangler

I've gotten a lot of information on here over the past week, and I greatly appreciate the help. Everyone has been very generous with there knowledge. To me thats what these boards are for. If someone wants to give me more info then grate if not thats good to, with time on the water I will gain that knowledge. I love to be out on the water,Im at peace when Im fishing.Cant wait to meet some of you.
sdtangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #13
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I am considering posting all my reports here.......so nobody will see emlol

http://www.yakfishing.com/board/view...d0ae88d7f6b906

I miss Alan's old board. It was the original old school.................
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
cabojohn
PROBATION

what would be better for kayak fishing?
A scrambler or scupper pro?
What is a PFD and do I have to have one?

haha- flash backs to "old school" yakfishing dayz.
I feel old. Is that board still alive?

fwiw- I really enjoy other peoples reports good or bad...it helps getting through the day when I can't be on the water! I'm stoked for others that catch fish!!!
I enjoy "soul fishing" reports the most. Leave the location & details out, just wanna hear relaxing cool laid back stories.

** I look forward to Andy's before work bay report. That always gets me fired up.

I wish I had something positive or a good fishing story to report.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
Dennis

That site is still alive. I thought it would have died by now.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:07 AM   #16
Slay Rider

The first documented fishing reports were posted on the walls of caves. Some of the prophets were fisherman and reported about their catch in the Bible. The one thing that is for sure, when you boys stop posting this place will dry up and fade away just like yakfishing.com did.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #17
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay Rider View Post
The first documented fishing reports were posted on the walls of caves. Some of the prophets were fisherman and reported about their catch in the Bible. The one thing that is for sure, when you boys stop posting this place will dry up and fade away just like yakfishing.com did.
But the Cavemen didn't have WCW.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:56 AM   #18
mg2969

My 2 cents
I believe that you should post or not.
I harbor no ill will towards those that do not post at all, its their choice.
However, waiting weeks on posting seems kinda selfish.
In my opinion its like " I got mine, but I made sure you can't get yours".
A report to be worthwile should be relatively timely other than that its not a
report, its a brag sheet. Look at news reports what good would news report be
if the news was reported a week or 2 after an event occured, would anybody care.
What would I care about a stock market close 2 weeks ago when
I want to make a trade today,
I would care about what the market closed at yesterday and how the market is doing today.

The second part of the discussion is how BWE does business as forum.

I don't want anyone to think I am being negative towards BWE,
but really just an observation and comparasion.

I have heard the theme of yakkers and pb'ers trolling the reports yet not contributing.
If we look at other kayak website forums (e.g. kayaksportfishing, baytubers, etc...)
we notice that in order to view the forum, or at least the fishing reports,
you must be a MEMBER.
You cannot access the forums without credentials.
The second part is specific to baytubers which kills non-posting accounts after a period of time.

Just some thoughts to ponder and my 2 cent into the mix

MikeG
mg2969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #19
steveooo

I will continue to post. Probably not daily, maybe not every time I go out, but I will continue. Since my post yesterday I have already received a few p.m.'s from ass-hats that couldn't believe that I had the audacity to post a report like that on the public forum. "Do you know what the crowds will be like?" or "Thanks for spoiling it all"
The fact is, no one "discovered" kayak fishing. There are a few names we all know that have pioneered the sport, but I do not think that anyone here can claim that they discovered it. The same thing goes for la jolla. No one here discovered it or owns it. I started kayak fishing about five years go after a trip to Canada where all they had was kayaks. I got home, googled "kayak fishing" and a few sites came up, including this one. I have learned from this sit about tips, tricks, locations and a wealth of other information. I enjoy to read peoples reports when they post it. It allows me to escape from work momentarily and come back refreshed. I do not feel that people have any obligation to post, but I also think that it should be up to the individual whether or not to post. So, to the douche nozzles that have sent me a p.m. lolIf you do not like fishing reports, why were you so willing to read mine?!? Go to another site if you do not like fishing reports.
When I post, I hope someone can catch a fish from the info I put in the report. I hope that a noob learns something new that they did not know, and I hope that the old school guys enjoy reading someone elses report every now and then. Sorry, for such a long post. Just go out and fish instead.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #20
martuka
Junior

"AMEN"!
martuka is offline   Reply With Quote