Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #21
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Since my post yesterday I have already received a few p.m.'s from ass-hats that couldn't believe that I had the audacity to post a report like that on the public forum. "Do you know what the crowds will be like?" or "Thanks for spoiling it all"
How "F"ed up is that!
I read your report Steveoo and was stoked. Reading reports, like yours, motivates me to get out more often so that I, too, will have an epic story to share.

As for those no talent ass clowns who don't want "The secret to get out" . -
"If you don't like you can lump it, take it down the road and dump it!"
- Archie Bunker
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #22
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Good points. The problem here is that not everyone is looking from the same perspective.

The "every once in a while La Jolla trip"er:
You make it out once in a while. Sometimes site on scene and sometimes when you see good reports on the board. For one reason or another your schedule doesn't permit the weekly trip. You get irritated when you missed a good bite because you either didn't get a call, didn't get a PM, or haven't seen a good report. Otherwise, what do you care if it's a late report. You don't care about hearing someones delayed story. You read it as bragging.

Then you've got the "atleast once a week"er:
They by the nature of odds, happen to be out during a bite. Generally they also have friends that get out either with them or when they're not out. They are the most productive for many reasons. La Jolla knowledge and experience and from getting the call or PM. They have the most to lose by the word getting out. I'm not saying they're wrong. Generally they've put in the time and look at the every once in a while guys who get irritated by not seeing a timely report as getting the worm but not being the early bird finding it. You enjoy reading the story, not the report. I'll also add that when the word gets out you find ski boats and those that seem commons sense is beyond them. That is bad for everyone.

Then there are the few, like me, who's trip vary. Sometimes I get out every weekend and sometimes I'm out of commision for a few weeks. Lately it's been the last few months but that's not the issue. I don't fish or "info-share" with other guys but in turn I don't get the PM when the bite is hot. I, by chance, met the bite head on this weekend. But I missed the January bite. When I'm not actively getting out and miss the bite, I envy the guys who get out a lot and/or get the PM. But like now, I understand why the "regulars" like the delayed reports. I enjoy the story but also get frustrated because a lot of times, it's not me.

One thing I must say is that this site is not going to die because of the lack of timely report. It's WCW, tournaments, Plasticman (formerly Ironman), the wealth of searchable information, and the photo album that keep a lot of us here. There is only one enemy we face which is a whole discussion in of itself. I find even the delayed reports are cool. It's putting names, personalities, and stories to faces that I find enjoyable. BWE is still relatively small and almost every trip I meet a member by chance. It's kinda the "small world" scenario that helps keep me around. Just something to think about...

Last edited by nmbrinkman; 02-20-2008 at 09:38 AM.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #23
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
I will continue to post. Probably not daily, maybe not every time I go out, but I will continue. Since my post yesterday I have already received a few p.m.'s from ass-hats that couldn't believe that I had the audacity to post a report like that on the public forum. "Do you know what the crowds will be like?" or "Thanks for spoiling it all"
The fact is, no one "discovered" kayak fishing. There are a few names we all know that have pioneered the sport, but I do not think that anyone here can claim that they discovered it. The same thing goes for la jolla. No one here discovered it or owns it. I started kayak fishing about five years go after a trip to Canada where all they had was kayaks. I got home, googled "kayak fishing" and a few sites came up, including this one. I have learned from this sit about tips, tricks, locations and a wealth of other information. I enjoy to read peoples reports when they post it. It allows me to escape from work momentarily and come back refreshed. I do not feel that people have any obligation to post, but I also think that it should be up to the individual whether or not to post. So, to the douche nozzles that have sent me a p.m. lolIf you do not like fishing reports, why were you so willing to read mine?!? Go to another site if you do not like fishing reports.
When I post, I hope someone can catch a fish from the info I put in the report. I hope that a noob learns something new that they did not know, and I hope that the old school guys enjoy reading someone elses report every now and then. Sorry, for such a long post. Just go out and fish instead.
Well put, Steveooo. I never get pm's like that. But, you'd be damn sure I'd post it up on it's own thread... For all to see. lol What's next vehicle vandalism at the launch, and fights on the beach. It's not the lack of reports that will kill this site. It's sh*& like this. I used to pride myself for being a part of the kayakfishing community. Everyone helped each other out, or at least they used to. You don't need the internet for information on a "hot bite". Kayakers call kayakers... kayakers call boaters.. boaters call other boaters... boaters call there mom.. etc. Then LJ is crowded.
DAMN, ITS JUST FISHING PEOPLE!!!

Last edited by Dennis; 02-20-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #24
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

2-20-08

Fishing sucked for me this morning.

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #25
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
2-20-08

Fishing sucked for me this morning.

chris

Apparently that's what everybody wants and needs Chris...
Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #26
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

The WCW "competitors," especially those at the top all share info with some of the others they are supposed to be competing with. Keeping reports private has nothing to do with keeping other WCW competitors in the dark for the most part. More information on these boards goes out, than comes in.

It's funny, all those that like to live through others reports and think everything should be publicly available, are the ones that have the least to offer. Maybe we should just bump reports from years ago to keep them entertained and enable them to live through others. lol I fish for my own amusement, not to amuse others.

Anyone notice that BD inshore reports have pretty much died off too? We've all seen those guys out there cashing in on the January run too. Reports attract not just crowds to the water but negativity and bickering on the internet. Anyone ever look at spearboard.com? Many of those guys are very protective of their spots becuase they know increased crowds put more pressure on fish, and often decrease their own chances.

Many of us got into kayak fishing to fish on our own terms and get away from a crowd. If I wanted to tangle with a bunch of other people I'd jump on a cattle boat.

I think the internet has given people in general a growing sense of entitlement to information, not just fishing either. People seem less willing to work for information, and think it should be readily available. In cases like fishing, some spend many hours for said information, and don't think others should freeload.

It's ironic that people complain about the crowds and tangling in posts, and yet still put it up, is that becuase you know you aren't coming back in the next couple days?

Just something to think about for anyone that fishes...
If you stumble on a wfo bite, and plan on fishing it the next 3 days, do you advertise it on the internet knowing what will happen crowd wise, and that all the extra lines in the water often spook fish, that people will be trolling all over each others lines including yours? Or do you instead share the info with a couple of your closest fishing buddies instead so you can fish it the way you want. If you aren't going to fish it the next couple days, do you post it and spoil it for those that also stumbled on it?

People are never going to agree on this issue and it won't go away. Just some of my thoughts. Plus I wanted to throw some more fuel on the fire. I'll sit back and watch it burn now. It's not like this topic hasn't been beaten to death already.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

Last edited by tylerdurden; 02-20-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling errors
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #27
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I will say that a winter bite doesn't seem to be affected by crowds and idiots as much as surface bite.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
madscientist

Spend a few days in Baja and none of this shit matters. Bring on the MLPA!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #29
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Here ya go, found everything anyone would need to know about posting on the internet...

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #30
dorf

Quote:
Here ya go, found everything anyone would need to know about posting on the internet...

That was great!
Thanks for posting it.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #31
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Thats good!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #32
madscientist

Quote:

Better email that link to Froman.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #33
Corey

lol. Good link Chris.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #34
Siebler

I like Tylers Idea of bumping old reports to give people something to look at

Like he said, the reason no reports are posted on time is that for most people it is not their bite, thats defiantly why Nate and I have not posted reports right away. Ive been told of hot bites and im going to respect that I did not discover the bite and its not mine to post about. Of course there is something to do with how I can fish every morning these days

I just want to know when the Threshers move in, still looking for a kayak First, im always out of town when it happens. Last year I was having a great trip at the river. Then austin called and said Troutman got one, kinda made my stripers and smallies look weenie

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #35
lamb

This thread is finally catching on some fire...

What's wrong with the ski boats Nate!?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #36
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
What's wrong with the ski boats Nate!?
You're just the type I'm talking about ..

It's the guys that spend most their time at elsinore and get wind of a good report and start trolling over lines and motor through kelp...

Old 02-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #37
esdees
The Good Clone

Or when they haul ass through a small area surrounded by anchored boats and kayaks with dive flags out... that's a good way to kill someone.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote