Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Jonesyak

Becoming discouraged.. need a mentor!

Hello fellow anglers,

I really need some advice -
I know I have been doing this all wrong, but I am not ready to quit.

I have quite a few questions - dilemmas - problems- short comings - and a whole lot more; anyone that is really willing to read and help I cannot even begin to express how much I sincerely appreciate it.

-First off, my situation; I simply love to fish. I have always been passionate about fishing, I started salt water fishing on the west coast from party boats several years ago. Like most people I cannot afford party boats every week.

-My interest in kayak fishing became an addiction before I knew what happened. I got my first yak in December of this year with the intent to get out on the water every weekend, (haha I wish now). This being said I am still very much an armature.

First off what I have:

-Hobie mirage classic with 2 rod holders
-Homemade bait tank and additional 2 rod holders (if I sacrifice my only dry storage)

-Tackle I bring currently = 7' w/ 2 speed and yoyo jig - - and a 8' w/ lead head and plastic grub.
(I could also bring an 8' troller with sabiki rig for making bit if I brought the bait tank)

- No electronics
(Save for a vhs radio I’m not very familiar with)

! SO HERE IS MY DELIEMA !

So far I have successfully launched and landed (without losing gear or dumping) from LJ several times now. I pedal/paddle all the way to what I think the fishing grounds are. I assume this because I see other people with yaks fishing.

Methods I have tried thus far are:
1) Trolling my lead head and 4'' grub about 30 feet behind me (on which I have cought mackerel, kelp, and jelly slime)
2) I also sink it to the bottom at completely random spots for nothing obviously.
3) Lastly, in any random spot that I am still within sight of other kayak anglers fishing I toss my yoyo jig... sometimes just in completely random spots all together.

~QUESTIONS~

Considering I am fishing with no electronics’, and currently no live bait, and I completely wasting my time randomly casting for the long lost yellowtail? Are yoyo and surface irons non-effective when the fish have not been located?

Where exactly are the fishing grounds? I don’t have gps so I cannot tell how far out I am. MLPA laws keep changing so I do my best to stay near other anglers.

Are there any rock fishing spots in LJ? Can they be found without a FF?

-LASTLY-

Basically I LOVE being on the water, every time a go out it is a new adventure. However, I WOULD LIKE TO CATCH A FISH!

If I could afford the time and money to have a master like thedarkhorse teach me I would in a heartbeat. (Someday)

However, if anyone at all has and advice at all on how I may make my trips more successful I would love to talk about it.

ALSO I AM PALNNING TO LAUNCH FROM LA JOLLA SATURDAY MORING - ANYONE WANT TO SHOW ME THE ROPES -PLEASE- ?

Aaron Jones
Jonesa@coyote.csusb.edu

Last edited by Jonesyak; 07-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Jonesyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
RK

Aaron do yourself a favor cut your learning curve hire josh or Kevin (darkhorse or the kid) either one will teach you a ton.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
echo1er

just make a yak party and go with someone in LJ. Don't just go out by yourself. Invite or get invited.
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

or stalk them on the water.

the "grounds" are usually good for making bait and why alot of people congregate there but lately when i've been out i see boats and yaks hooking up outside the bait grounds.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
dc1983

I spent almost the entire first year not catching anything at all. And i fished every weekend Then one day I caught a halibut when I released it because it was short I looked at what I was doing and continued to catch fish. All my fish have mainly been on live bait. Last weekend I went on the black pearl kayak trip and actually caught more fish on plastics in the two days there then I have since I started kayak fishing. Just keep trying one day it will all come together. I would definitely get a FF though.
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Mongo Johnson

Are they out LJ, how do ya reach 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post
Aaron do yourself a favor cut your learning curve hire josh or Kevin (darkhorse or the kid) either one will teach you a ton.
I know two super noobs who scored boats at the recent Malibu blowout (thanks OEX) who'd be up for a session or two.

They're way noobier than Mr. A. Jones.

Is the preference you show rigged with his level of experience and ready to learn spots and technique; or will they accommodate noobs with supplied reel/pole/bait rigs - a getting started for the rooks session?

Cost?

For me, I'll like go Aaron's route and get up a rig and flop around on my own, listening to the forum, reading, getting a little wet.

My noob friends might belly up some cash for a getting started tour.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
tunaseeker
TB Metal Art

HIRE KEVIN OR JOSH! Period. fficeffice" />>>
You will spend more time and money trying to figure it out, I did. Those guys are amazing fishermen. They know the grounds and will put you on fish! I spent 2 years trying to figure it out and they taught me more in a half day than I was able to figure out in my entire time at LJ. >>
Kevin http://www.seasamurai.com/>>
Josh http://inshorekayak.com/ >>
I have a much better feel for the tackle required, technique, locations... Trust me on this one.....Just go to the website and give them a call, I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YT2.6.1.2012.jpg (54.8 KB, 511 views)
File Type: jpg yellow.7.2012.jpg (62.4 KB, 514 views)
tunaseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

^^^^
Not to mention getting one badass pic to boot!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Sounds like me, 14 years ago. I caught my first 2 WSB trolling a big Fish Trap plastic. Also caught YT and WSB on plastic and throwing iron in my first 2 Summers kayak fishing. When I started using live bait things got more consistent, I just used a Plano bucket and dunked it once in a while, I won a portable F/F and that too was a game changer in just wondering around. Simple fly lining a greenback and looking for "fishy" areas
Old 07-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Here my tip:

put a tracking device on Josh kayak and follow him around....

AL kidding aside....

Time on water, knowing where the fish travel to and from too... knowing how strong and where the current is moving too...

and being in the right place at the right time.... will get your a fish, took me awhile to get my first WSB.

I have gone out to La JOlla and no action!! nothing.... sometimes your there and you see them skimming over the surface of the water... sometimes you don't.... i don't know when they will feel like passing through... but they do...

you just have to be there...

Now Josh.... he knows la jolla like you know your own backyard....

he knows where the fish like to pass through... he know how to bring them in.... he is the Webster dictionary on La jolla....
just saying...

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 07-27-2012 at 07:33 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
roadx

hire Josh or Kevin, it will re spark that passion again by landing a avatar worthy fish and getting some confidence back in knowing your in the right place doing the right thing.

Kevin http://www.seasamurai.com/
Josh http://inshorekayak.com/

if you go out with either of the pro's? i have a fish finder you can barrow as long as you take care of it.
a livewell/bait tank is a must have item.
your welcome to fish with me but your results probably will be the same as usual

Last edited by roadx; 07-27-2012 at 07:45 AM.
roadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
roadx

PM me
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #13
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Buy wades PA, not only is it a badass boat but it comes with a guide service if I remember correctly.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Definition of insanity trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results...hire josh or kevin asap - quit wasting time...Be realistic now and YES DEFINATELY > you will need to buy a bait tank and fish finder -
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
mtnbykr2

INSANITY!!!...
Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesyak View Post
... No electronics in any random spot.....I toss my yoyo jig...completely random spots all together..... no electronics...... no live bait..... randomly casting.........don’t have gps ......can not tell how far out I am....

if anyone at all has and advice at all on how I may make my trips more successful I would love to talk about it.

Dude!!! Get a fish finder and GPS!

Until then I will leave you with a ancient proverb.

"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes, but his chances improve dramatically if he's pulling a live mackerel."
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
taggermike

Don't beat your self up. LJ is a big place, you know there are big fish there all year long, but catching them requires a learning curve. Randomly stopping and throwing plastics and iron is not really going to get it done though. A few things I would kick out. Hire a guide if you can. Get your BAIT TANK working. One of the strongest advantages to fishing a yak is that you are going the perfect speed to troll a live bait. So do it. In the summer keep your head moving and your eyes scanning for any sign of fish, birds, or bait. Some times surface activity is obvious, other times just seeing one tern or gull circling and looking down can show you where the fish are. The birds aren't out there for fun, they're pros and on the job of finding food. Tune in to them. I don't have electronics either. I'm broke and thats a fact, but I still catch fish. You can to. It's not the same as fishing LJ but if you haven't spent some time in SD or Mission Bay you should. It's fun, you get lots of bites, and it will boost your confidence. Keep at it and keep asking questions. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #18
mtnbykr2

Very well put....
Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
JNAST13ST
Living Da Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaseeker View Post
HIRE KEVIN OR JOSH! Period. fficeffice" />>>
You will spend more time and money trying to figure it out, I did. Those guys are amazing fishermen. They know the grounds and will put you on fish! I spent 2 years trying to figure it out and they taught me more in a half day than I was able to figure out in my entire time at LJ. >>
Kevin http://www.seasamurai.com/>>
Josh http://inshorekayak.com/ >>
I have a much better feel for the tackle required, technique, locations... Trust me on this one.....Just go to the website and give them a call, I did.
I agree man just got my first yellow after about 5 months of trying all types of techniques and spots spent a lot of wasted time hire the white donkey man he's a beast lol jk josh if your looking lol
Old 07-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #20
Jonesyak

Thank you everyone for your encouragement!!

Believe me, as soon as I can I will hire one of the two.

However, I am launching LJ tomorrow morning (7ish) with the bait tank for the first time.

Do you guys usally just troll your baits with no weight? And how far from the yak?