Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-15-2009, 01:04 AM   #1
lamb

Malibu Stealth 14 and Stealth 12 out for a test ride?

Hell yeah.

Brent calls me all stoked… Malibu Stealth 12 and Stealth 14 prototypes arrived in the shop. He has them all rigged up, bait tanks wired up and all.

Gameplan: take them out for a ride in the Big Bay and fish for halibut. We were going to try Rick Da Masta Goose’s bounce ball rigs (more on that later), fire up the live wells, check out how they do, go to the bait barge and load up on some live bait. Look for the flat kind and see how the new yaks feel.

Beautiful calm day in San Diego Bay.

We got to sniff around Stealth 12 and Stealth 14 on the beach, checking out all the features.

Stealth 14 seems like XFactor hull with radically redesigned deck, especially the space right in front of you.

Stealth 12 is very similar - Stealth 14 minus the back hatch and 2 ft shorter.

Both kayaks have the new bait tank / livewell built right in the hull, in the space front of the seat. It’s great to see fishing kayak manufacturers designing their boats with live bait on their mind.

OEX guys did great job plumbing it; they threw in water intake control valve. Killer, it lets you adjust how much water flows in. You can adjust the flow for different bait and different load.

The new deck layout on both boats has got to get your attention…

Left hatch opens up to give you access under the hood, to your live-well pump and all the plumbing.

The hull is designed with recessed area for bait pump installation, so the surface of the pump is flush with the bottom of the kayak. That reduces the drag and protects the pump. There's a screen on the pump that ought to keep the kelp and eelgrass out.

Right hatch is a tackle box – pretty cool and handy. I stored my pliers, hooks, line and picked out a bunch of lures to play with.

Another nice touch – both seat scupper holes now have the drain plugs, giving you option to keep them open or close them completely. I can see that being handy for fishing in different type waters.

Two very pretty kayaks, no doubt.

Gator hatch, rod holders, cup holder, the standard stuff...

Bow and stern are similar to xFactor, at least it seemed to me. Keep in mind, I’m an eXtreme guy.

Brent brought to my attention that lower end of the back hatch has been raised up a bit, to keep it above the water level for bigger bodies on board.

Not surprisingly, both Stealth 12 and Stealth 14 felt very stable.

They paddled easily through the glassy bay.

Comfortable fishing platforms.

I started dragging Rick’s bounce ball rig with 1lbs ball. 5 mins into it, a little halibut hangs himself on a hootchie:

Stoked!

Not that Masta DaGoose’s halibut rigs needed any proof that they work, what we were not sure was whether they could be fished with from a kayak. Rick has got halibut rigs figured out, and he recently started www.bestofbiggame.com where he makes his rigs available. We’re happy that OEX & www.kayakfishingsupplies.com will be carrying Rick’s bounce ball rigs in stock as well! They are slightly modified specifically for kayak fishermen. For all of you that may not know him - Rick DaGoose is one of the best SoCal halibut fisherman and awesome guy. His rigs are the first class quality craftsmanship, and the best part – THEY WORK! If you’re serious about halibut fishing, give these bounce ball rigs a try.

We made it to the barge and loaded up on some sardines.

They seemed pretty happy.

Bait tank hatch was easy to open and close. The seal worked pretty good. The water was draining smoothly right down the scupper holes. Adjustable intake valve was pretty handy to control the level of water flowing in.

A clear 6” screw-on round hatch in the middle makes it easy to keep an eye on the bait. It enables you to reach for the bait without popping the whole main big hatch open:

All in all, I think I liked the built in tank!

Dropped a healthy sardine down to the bottom while I was taking the pictures of the tank.

The tip of my rod soon starts bouncing…

Keeper (or almost a keeper?) halibut sings in.

Let her go in exchange for a promise that she will find me fishing at La Jolla in WCW season 2029, and make whatever I offer that day her last meal.

Picked up another short halibut on a bounce ball on my way back; it shook off the hook before I got to take a pic.

Fun day on the water trying out some new yaks from the Malibu house.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
dorf

Very nice!
Question:
How do the hatches (Left andf right) work out that are under your legs?
Based on the pictures you attached the tackel box on the right might not be in the best location.
Other than that they look great.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
j mo

Bait tank

you said "all in all" i liked the bait tank. can you give a comparison vs. the kayatank and traditional 5 gal model?

thx
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Can't wait to try one, those things look bad ass!!!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
landwhale

Really looking forward to paddling one of the these also.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
anjcomp

Look good, How about pricing????
anjcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #7
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
Very nice!
Question:
How do the hatches (Left andf right) work out that are under your legs?
Based on the pictures you attached the tackel box on the right might not be in the best location.
Other than that they look great.
Thanks for sharing.
I didn't notice any difficulties. Those side hatches are small and pop open on the side - I don't think I even had to throw my legs over the sides to reach in... I probably just did it to take a cleaner picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
you said "all in all" i liked the bait tank. can you give a comparison vs. the kayatank and traditional 5 gal model?

thx
I really dig the fact we're starting to see fishing kayaks with built in live-well. Personally, I like any tank that will keep my bait alive and healthy - this one passed that test. It seems well made, it's part of the hull - obvious advantage is you can never loose it or forget it (been there). If you're not using it, it doubles as a nice easily accessible extra storage. Even without plumbing/pump, you unscrew the drain plug and it will fill up with water up until 1/2 way, to the water level. I think guys on the East Coast will like that.

Disadvantage compared to KayakTank - I'd say this one is likely smaller (capacity wise). It is likely heavier too.

But hey, I'm a KayaTank guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcomp View Post
Look good, How about pricing????
Not sure about the S-12 - I see S-14 "pre-listed" on Kayak Fishing Supplies:

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...-dsh-14/Detail

I'd say give your local OEX a call.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

Very thorough Adi and looks like you took Brent's money that morning

I heard $999 on the Stealth 12..........but don't quote me on that.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
OEX
Administrator

Thanks for the report Adi.

Prices on the new Stealths are:

Stealth 12

999.00 Including Plumbing/ pump kit for live well. With installation and wiring.

Stealth 14

1299.00 Including Plumbing/ pump kit for live well. With installation and wiring.

OEX Point Loma currently has each model. Feel free to come down and take a look.

OEX Point Loma
1453 Rosecrans St
San Diego 92106
619-758-9531
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
Flyfisher70

I was just about to purchase the X-13 and now I'm just going to have to hold off and get the Stealth-14. Looks like an awesome kayak. Malibu Kayaks has really done good with the Stealths. Thanks for sharing all the great information.
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

Hmmm...

If I ever go back to the darkside (paddling a kayak), I'm getting a Stealth 14.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
lambadmin
Spam Sanitation Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
If I ever go back to the darkside (paddling a kayak), I'm getting a Stealth 14.
LOL...

I was wondering... With your style of fishing, lots of looking out and flunking iron, xFactor hull must have felt really comfy. Do you feel you had to trade any of that stability for the pedal power you got with Hobie?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #13
Corey

Thanks for the review, Adi. I can't wait until my Stealth 14 comes in!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambadmin View Post
LOL...

I was wondering... With your style of fishing, lots of looking out and flunking iron, xFactor hull must have felt really comfy. Do you feel you had to trade any of that stability for the pedal power you got with Hobie?
With my opportunity to use whatever Hobie craft I want, I'm able to get the best of both worlds. For the straight up sight-fishing on my knees, looking for fish that aren't even making a ripple on the surface...the stealth 14 or X-factor are perfect (so is a Hobie Outback). You don't need to paddle fast in these situations, the fish are moving less than 1 mph, and stability is priority number one...being comfortable on your knees and the ability to cast a 9'+ jig-stick as hard as you can without worrying about swimming with your cell phone . I've landed many Yellowtail on the X-factor, while not only casting on my knees, but fighting and landing them while still on my knees (more stability than you know what to do with). You will have this same type of stability with a Hobie Outback (more stability than you know what to do with). Obviously with stability you have to trade speed, and that speed is addictive when chasing fish during surface bites that don't require being on your knees (birds and visible boils)...addictive because without a doubt you will catch more of these fish if you can take advantage of quick "up and down" opportunities. The opportunity to start moving in another direction at full speed, after I just made a long cast in the wrong direction to some fish that just sank out , something that would be hard for me to give up now. A good cast with the long rod is going to be over 80 turns of the handle using a Torium 20, and even winding as fast as you can before you can put your rod in the holder, pick up that paddle, turn around and sprint to that school foaming 200 yards behind you takes precious time...and this is a game of seconds.

I'm in no way saying the pedal is the only way to go, different strokes for different folks . For someone that is interested in sight fishing the Stealth 14 is going to be hard to beat. Again, if I wasn't already addicted to the speed of the Mirage Drive, this would be my next kayak.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
DESTROYER

Nice write up Adi! I love it when kayak manufactures keep pushing each other to create better products. Looks like a nice yak. The storage compartments are my favorite part. Can't wait to see the Malibu crew on their 14's camoed out.

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
steamroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher70 View Post
I was just about to purchase the X-13 and now I'm just going to have to hold off and get the Stealth-14. Looks like an awesome kayak. Malibu Kayaks has really done good with the Stealths. Thanks for sharing all the great information.
If you like the X-13, you should check out the Stealth 12 instead. The 12 is sleeker and closer to the X-13. The 14's hull is identical the X-factor.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #17
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

When I get another kayak... That will be hard pressed to be knocked off the top of my list...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
MKNOTT

I stopped by the shop and checked them out last week and cant wait to try one. I was wondering from Andy's post with pics a few weeks ago about the underside of the stowage areas and rod stowage. You can still stow your rods for big surf days with the compartments. The open too the hull side obviously works and the sealed compartment side gives you enough bottom clearance room to slide the tips back. While I was sitting in the boat on the lawn like a little kid waiting for a stranger to put a quarter in the horsey ride in front of Kmart I also realized how much easier it is to open the hinged compartments. No more undoing hatch covers, moving them out of the way and then reseating them and reclamping. That is worth alot right there.

MKNOTT

Soo uhhh,,, can I borow one.

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea, <O
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
MKNOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
ElectroMike

Dady Like!
ElectroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #20
Slay Rider

The evolution continues. Nicely done.

Tags
malibu stealth 12, malibu stealth 14, malibu stealth-12, malibu stealth-14, review