Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
wade

LA JOLLA RESERVE REMINDER!!!!!

Hello NEW La Jolla Kayak Fisherman:

Yesterday, I saw quite a few of you, completely geared and decked out fishing inside the LJ reserve?....
LJ is a great place to fish, but there are more than the basic ground rules to obey now.. I let a few know as you guys were trolling almost all the way back to the shores. Besides it being illegal, an already extremely touchy subject + it makes us all look bad. All California Anglers need to be completely aware of all the CA regulations, MPA's ect before ever baiting your hook please.. There is NO excuse for not knowing where the boundary markers are now. There are FREE mobile apps for Android, Blackberrys, iPhone ect...This place BWE is also a treasure trove of all things fishing related, just use the search functions..

Go To:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/index.asp

Thanks, carry on ....

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
FISH11

Thanks for bringing it up Wade. Seems I see people fishing inside the zone almost every time I go there. Most assume the buoys mark the area but when they changed the boundaries over a year ago they never moved the buoys, stupid isn't it. Get the proper APP and save a ticket and fine. Fish Alerts is a good APP check it out, it's free.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

The newer navioncs chip has the mlpa's built in. Dotted lines mark them on my charts when I bring them up. Nice feature.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
The newer navioncs chip has the mlpa's built in. Dotted lines mark them on my charts when I bring them up. Nice feature.
MY DragonFly has them .... its really easy to see where you can and cannot fish.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

I use the Bridge Club for my reference, low rectangular building
Old 09-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
FISH11

Here is a picture from a previous post. This is the boundary. All west of this is OK, all east (closer to the shores) is inside the MPA, Bad. Check it out. Line up the Flag pole , the North corner of the Building and the Tall Palm Tree behind the Bungalow.
[/QUOTE]
Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #7
monstahfish

Thanks for posting this. I saw the coasties out there on sunday and after they left I saw a bunch of guys behind the bouys but didn't want a fight. If we follow the regs nobody can start trouble for us. If a bunch of guys get caught, they'll mess it up for everyone else. Cheers and tight lines.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
svendawg

Marker Buoys are off

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
The newer navionics chip has the mlpa's built in. Dotted lines mark them on my charts when I bring them up. Nice feature.
I know it's been said before, so this is a heads up for those that don't have a GPS or a chip in their GPS that shows the boundary.
I noticed yesterday the boundary marker buoys are not on the MPLA boundary. You need to be about another 100 yards further out or west to be legal.
I'd hate to see someone get a ticket thinking they were fishing legally outside the boundary but were still inside the MLPA beause they relied on the marker bouys. For those that fish inside the marker buoys you deserve what you get and you give our sport a black eye.

You would think if the MPLA was such a big deal to the establishment they would move the marker buoys to the correct location.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendawg View Post

You would think if the MPLA was such a big deal to the establishment they would move the marker buoys to the correct location.

Too much money was spent on "research" so they cant afford to move the markers......

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
pbb

If you've got a GPS/Chartplotter that doesn't have maps that show the boundaries, the coordinates for the corners are here: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/scmpas_list.asp

You can enter them as waypoints, or possibly create a route that outlines them.
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Too much money was spent on "research" so they cant afford to move the markers......
This made me lol at my desk, good one!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #12
skrilla

Keep paddling til the red water turns light blue.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Are you talking about the research that showed how fishermen destroyed the coral reefs?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Are you talking about the research that showed how fishermen destroyed the coral reefs?
That's it. The word is that the closest coral reef; approximately 1000 miles away is already seeing a major come back because of California' MLPA. Another 300 years and it should be back to normal.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote