Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
we are to these junk-science, global warming tree hugging mfck'n scientist. Collect as much of these revenues yearly and create a PAC to buy the fishing grounds back.
Be careful what you ask for. I just returned from Hong Kong where there were no junk-science, global warming tree hugging mfck'n scientist for many years and now they have zero sport fishing. They lost all their grouper, sharks, and rays. An "East Coast Whopper" there is less than an ounce. Now they are begging for the junk-science, global warming tree hugging mfck'n scientist to bail them out. I agree with you mostly Art, but I don't think the answer is at either of the extremes.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Be careful what you ask for. I just returned from Hong Kong where there were no junk-science, global warming tree hugging mfck'n scientist for many years and now they have zero sport fishing. They lost all their grouper, sharks, and rays. An "East Coast Whopper" there is less than an ounce. Now they are begging for the junk-science, global warming tree hugging mfck'n scientist to bail them out. I agree with you mostly Art, but I don't think the answer is at either of the extremes.
True that. I'm all for changing the take limits, slot limits and no fish periods for breeding impacts. If you give the California liberal a fucking inch, they'll take your arm, pickup and incandescent bulb in one bite.

I'd love to set an resident inshore limit to two fish, but we(fisherman) need to set those parameters - not Peter PETA.

So if we create a PAC to funnel the DFG's $66million into. We'd only have to give up fishing for a few years. Take up golf. We can cripple their budget and department. Then we need to put someone into office that will look after our interests. Then instead of buyging $20 worth of useless tackle every month, we get the one million anglers to donate that money to the PAC and keep on fishing. Look at the unions - they know what side the bread is buttered.

Imagine the impact we could have on CA if we gave it up for two years. The sportfishing industry, tackle shops and related businesses would suffer, but if they want long term growth, they need a short time sacrifice.

Let's get it together and get a booth at the Fred Hall. We can start the campaign for no licenses for '09, '10.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
FISHIONADO

Count me in. If they close La Jolla I have no use for a license anyway.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
aguachico

That's what I'm talking about.

What about posting a poll on the major fishing boards in CA and get a consensus of how many people wopuld be for or against this idea.

We could shape the way the reserves and regualtions are designed. This could be a mini version of the "equal rights movement" in the 21st century.

We could have bad ass bumper stickers all over the state.

"hands off my $100 million" for the low-key version
"Will fish for $100 million"
"FUCK OFF Schwarzenegger" is the going on my truck.

I'm going to do some research on the private funding, just to have ammo on who to blame.

stand-by
Old 12-14-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Count me in. If they close La Jolla I have no use for a license anyway.
Ditto that for me too!!

If they do close La Jolla, I will have to get that damn Mokai, to get to where I can fish!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Jim Sammons LJKF

The tree hugging PETA types have deep pockets and I think they would be more than happy to have you hang up your fishing licenses. I think they would be celebrating in the streets if this was our form of protest.
There must be a better way to fight it than that.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
jscott

In comparison to the entire CA fishing population relative to us kayakers who fish LJ--- we are a spec of sand. The DFG will not feel the financial sting if we (SD Kayakers) all stonewall and hold back buying licenses. Most people (other fisherfolk) will just shift their areas. I don't feel it is productive, and neither will it put any emphasis on our position or make us more likely to be heard. Has to be another way...
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
psudocromis

I think the word Slot Limit is a foreign word to them. its eather open or closed to finfish no exceptions. talk about crapy research.
psudocromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
aguachico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
The tree hugging PETA types have deep pockets and I think they would be more than happy to have you hang up your fishing licenses. I think they would be celebrating in the streets if this was our form of protest.
There must be a better way to fight it than that.
Jim;

I'm having trouble finding out how much and by whom the MPA's were privately funded. The fish lovers have deep pockets - yes, but we have deeper. Fisherman spend thousands if not more per year to fish. The problem is that we are segregated between inshore/offshore, yak/boat and fresh/salt.

We need to consolidate our buying power and put it use. The state of Californnia is in financial trouble. We need to make this happen for fy'09.

These are questions I could used answered to contine this project:

1. How are the sportfishing licensing fees distributed?
2. What private organization funded the reopening of the MPA's?
3. How much was used from private funding and public to reopn the MPA's?
4. How much additional monies are needed by the DFG to implement the MPA's.
5. Over the past 10 years, what is the break down on levied fines to fisherman? Commercial, recreational - poaching, licensing.

The 4th point is a big one. If we can prove that the DFG has acted in their own best interest by embracing the MPA's - then they will have lost any argument that they are here for the fishermen. I feel the DFG has embraced the MPA's to increase their patrolling duties. The increase in duties allows them to ask for more funding(job security).

We need to take it to these fuckers and hit them hard. As I start to gather more information I can then start small polling projects to see if this is actually feasible. I can't do this alone and will need help from all that are interested.

We are 1 million strong and need to be heard.

Fuck the DFG. Let's remove their power by removing their money

Yes Jim. the PETA would love the for us to not buy licenses. But the PETA types are not making the laws. I believe the State would not want us to stop buying licenses and would have to recognize our buying power. So even if you have to buy a license, like yourself and your customers - creating and funding the PAC would get this train moving.

Creating and funding a PAC is not enough. We just become another special interest group. By removing funding from the state, then we are recognized and powerful.

We have to remember someone has to pay for these MPA's to be implemented. What keeps the state from increasing you licenses fees to $200-$300 per year over the next couple of years?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #10
lamb

Art,

I can see how cutting DFG funding through boycotting license could work in theory, I think it’s a big Utopia in the real world.

It would be impossible to organize and recruit enough people to actually make an impact.

Realistically - even if you’d hear or read from enough folks claiming they would support the idea and stick to it, I'll bet you it wouldn’t happen.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
wbrewski

Has anyone though of bring a class action law suit against the these people for infringing on our constutional rights ( life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness ).
wbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #12
Zee
Junior

Any updates on the progress?

I was living in NorCal when the MLPA's came through and they pretty much arbitratily closed sections of the coast. Thanks to the tireless efforts of an few kayak fishermen and organizations some spots were saved. But it took a hell of a lot of effort. I'd hate to see good spots closed down there as well so if you can, get down to the hearings and be heard. If you can't make it support someone who is going to talk or an organization that will.

In Washington the MLPA's are coming as well and we're doing the best we can to be prepared to preserve what we've got.

Z
Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #13
AndSan
Rookie, not wookie

this is really tough to swallow, so i go on a deployment, to fight for "freedom" just to come home and be told, "by the way, you cant fish here." what a joke, can somebody pm me with what all is going on, and what i can do to help? there are tons of guys in my company that im sure have not heard of this that would fight for it aswell.
thanks
-drew
AndSan is offline   Reply With Quote