Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
tptrench

newell 338,trinidad 40, or torium 20

Which one would you use for throwing surface iron? Thanks
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

they all work

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
taggermike

Those 3 reels would all work. The trini 40 is maybe bigger than you'd need. The 16 or 20 size might be better. If you are on a tighter budget go with the Newell. I have an ancient Newell 338 that works well enough but it's drags and cranking power are not comparable to the trinin or the tori. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
CalicoCody

All three reels would do the trick, but personally, I would lean towards the Shimanos. I throw iron with a Torium 30.

The Trinidad 40 has a 4.9:1 gear ratio, so you will have to crank a bit faster for the retrieve, but your shoulder will thank you for the extra torque when you hook a bruiser yellow. All Torium reels have a 6.2:1 ratio, which translates to a faster retrieve, but more of an ass kicking with a big fish.

Price-wise, you can get a Torium 20 for 189, and the 30 for 199. Trinidads will run you several hundred new. The Newell 338 retails for 159 on charkbait and comes with a 5:1 gear ratio or for 5 bucks more, a lower, 3.6:1 ratio.

Hope this helps

Cody
CalicoCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
THE DARKHORSE

What's cooler than cool?

"newell 338,trinidad 40, or torium 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tptrench View Post
Which one would you use for throwing surface iron? Thanks

Whew...thank goodness for the change in weather because my arms couldn't take much more. Being that it's my first day off work in a while, I'll bite .

Unless these are reels you already own...I'd suggest keeping your options open.

#1 The Newell 338: This reel has outstanding free-spool and is the go to reel for most deckhands on the West Coast. So if you're trying to fit in wearing your folded down Extra Tuff boots---go for it! Besides the great free-spool and looking cool aspect, I think most guys still use this reel for the easy service associated with it. It's easy to breakdown, easy to put a couple of drops of speed X on the bearings and most sportboats carry extra parts for these reels, too. Personally, not my favorite reel but obviously capable of doing the job. In my professional opinion, this is not a wise choice unless you are already casting at an expert level.

#2 Shimano Trinidad 40: This would be my go-to, straight 50 lb mono, yo-yo iron reel for sixty pound Cedros Island Yellowtail over heavy structure with forty guys standing shoulder to shoulder. It's too big and heavy, in my opinion, for a local surface-iron reel. It's an awesome reel, but the last one I'd pick out your reels you listed. I feel the same about the Torium 30; it's too big and heavy. Not to mention, the spool on Torium 30 is a little too wide. I know this because I used to have a Torium 30 on one of my Uluas, but eventually switched to the Torium 20.

#3 Shimano Torium 20 : It's a fact, you can cast farther with a Torium 20 due to the perfect height and width of the spool. Which is really what you should be considering when you purchase a reel, specifically for casting iron with a long rod. A few other reels that have this same perfect height and width of the spool are the Newell 338, Daiwa Saltist 40, Daiwa Sealine 40...to name a few. Enough of that, back to the Torium 20: this is the reel I used to love on my jig-sticks. Those days are over, though, and I'll tell you why. For one, I've broke the anti-reverse bearing on the Torium 20 over thirty times (a.k.a. The Knuckle Buster!). I've not only got the scars to prove it, but I'm pretty sure I fractured a finger in the process, too. It was swollen and hurt for five months, but I only go to the doctor when I can't stop the bleeding or can't breathe .

Not only that, but you need to be an engineer to service this reel yourself. For the guys that can do it, or are stubborn enough to do it...good for you. I'd rather go fishing myself. When you open this reel, it's a cute little mechanical bomb. And be prepared for springs and $h!^ to go flying everywhere. This is when I pack all the little parts, I can find, into a brown bag and send it in for service by a professional. If you insist on buying this reel, at least, put in a double-dog anti reverse and save your fingers!

If you're buying a conventional reel to cast surface-iron, for the kayak...I'd suggest picking up one of two reels. The first is a Daiwa Sealine 40. It's free-spool is just as good as a Newell 338. I can cast this reel just as far as any deckhand with a Newell (so can you with practice). It's durable as hell and takes abuse and keeps on ticking. It's got the perfect height and width as mentioned above. It's $109 at Squid Co. and I bet Charkbait has it on the cheap, too. It's easy to service and I've never had bloody knuckles from fishing with locked-down drags on bruiser Yellowtail with it. I'm man enough to admit that if the color scheme matched my four jig-sticks a little better...I'd have it on my jig-sticks, too. Unfortunately, black and gold would clash with any of my beautiful girls so it's not an option for me. The annoying clicking sound when you wind kind of bugs me, too (same for the Newell).

I use the Daiwa Saltist 40 on all my jig-sticks today. I've caught hundreds of Yellowtail on these reels and never broke the anti-reverse. Not once. Having bloody knuckles is a choice, apparently, so I'll leave that up to you. While this reel doesn't quite have the free-spool of the Sealine (I'm talking a tiny fraction of loss in free spool here). This reel is made to pull hard and is built a little better in my opinion. It's easy to service, doesn't make that annoying clicking sound and is priced below the Torium 20. They look like a tight mini-skirt on my beautiful girls, too. Which is important to me because I fondle them daily.

If you want to spend a little more and know that you're going to be distance challenged, I'll add another option. The Avet JX with Magic Cast. This reel is bullet proof, made for fishing heavy drag, easy to service and from what I've heard casts well. The only downside to this reel is you'll have to service it a bit more frequently than either of the Daiwa reels I mentioned. Not an issue since it's easy to do it yourself, though. The Avet LX would be the same as a Torium 30; too wide for efficient, repetitive casting and winding.

If you know you're never going to be able to cast, long distance with control...don't rule out the coffee-grinders with spectra. Looking cool is an option; one we all face as the individual we choose to be. Remember, above all, catching Yellowtail on the surface-iron is much, much cooler, than simply looking cool.
In the words of Andre 3,000: " What's cooler than cool? Ice cold!"
Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
yaknewb

Thanks for the much needed info DARKHOARSE.
yaknewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
theluckypig

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
"newell 338,trinidad 40, or torium 20
If you're buying a conventional reel to cast surface-iron, for the kayak...I'd suggest picking up one of two reels. The first is a Daiwa Sealine 40. It's free-spool is just as good as a Newell 338. I can cast this reel just as far as any deckhand with a Newell (so can you with practice). It's durable as hell and takes abuse and keeps on ticking.
thanks DARKHORSE!

so proud of myself for getting my Daiwa Sealine 40's... now off to practice!
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

100% agree after all i see Darkhorse's reels all to often hahaha
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckypig View Post
so proud of myself for getting my Daiwa Sealine 40's... now off to practice!
x2

I've been practicing a lot lately, hitting the local empty playgrounds, the harbor, and OTW (unfortunately not throwing at anything in particular, just that imaginary YT ....

It's fun counting the reel turns and having them increase with fine tuning of my cast, a few tips here and there, and watching others.

And yes, I've experienced some nasty backlash while practicing. I've heard ...... if your still building up your skills, and your'e not backlashing occasionaly ........ your not pushing yourself
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
YlwFin
Junior

Rods

What rods are you guys matching these reels on for fishing on your kayaks?
YlwFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

its all personal preference i fish 10' rods others fish all sorts of lengths it all depends.

1. What kind of irons are you throwing?
2. What length suits you best?

You might end up with a quiver of rods after you find what suits you, so heres a surer way of finding the right surface iron rod for you: go to your local tackle store that sells blanks and rods and pull on every single one of them 'til you find the one you like best.

Here's my favorites: For me I like Seeker

Salas 7X (though I hardly throw these, however they have their place)-
SS Ulua 93H cut with the usual 6" off the tip and 3" off the butt
Tady 45- SJ100
Tady C- LB100 cut 6" off the tip

One really quick thing is all these Seeker rods are custom the SJ100 and LB100 do not come factory wrapped.

A great starter in my opinion is the Calstar 90J its got a thin blank easy to handle when casting got a nice parabolic action (some may or may not like this style of action) and its fairly versatile with iron brands.
Good fishing!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
robmandel

Quote:
#3 Shimano Torium 20 :...this is the reel I used to love on my jig-sticks. Those days are over, though, and I'll tell you why. For one, I've broke the anti-reverse bearing on the Torium 20 over thirty times (a.k.a. The Knuckle Buster!). I've not only got the scars to prove it, but I'm pretty sure I fractured a finger in the process, too. It was swollen and hurt for five months, but I only go to the doctor when I can't stop the bleeding or can't breathe .

Not only that, but you need to be an engineer to service this reel yourself.

If you're buying a conventional reel to cast surface-iron, for the kayak...I'd suggest picking up one of two reels. The first is a Daiwa Sealine 40. It's free-spool is just as good as a Newell 338. I can cast this reel just as far as any deckhand with a Newell (so can you with practice). It's durable as hell and takes abuse and keeps on ticking. It's got the perfect height and width as mentioned above. It's $109 at Squid Co. and I bet Charkbait has it on the cheap, too. It's easy to service and I've never had bloody knuckles from fishing with locked-down drags on bruiser Yellowtail with it.

I use the Daiwa Saltist 40 on all my jig-sticks today.
some reels are made for fishermen, others are made for fishing. :bigg rinjester:

(disclaimer: I own 10 sealines, all upgraded with greased carbon fiber drags.)
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #13
h2ofishfo

torium16 for me really dont need that much line on the kayak for the 20 ill take the smaller feel of the reel in my hand and the 16 has a more narrow spool for easier tracking of line have it on the 9'ft terramar fast action love it cause its a light set up and gets the job done
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
tptrench

Thumbs up Thanks Josh!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to give us the advice. I own all 3 of the reels plus a sealine 50. Tough decisions now. Used an Avet JX last May for a #51.9 ghost, but had to have it serviced because it took a bit of a douche. Not cheap, even at Squdco. Also, Josh, enjoyed your seminar at Fastlane. With all the trophies that you've landed, it seems that you would be a little "jaded" and not want to share your knowledge. It's really refreshing that you are as cool as you are. Thanks again!
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
THE DARKHORSE

My pleasure...

Being that you already own those reels, I'd suggest practicing with the Shimano Torium 20 (that's if, the free-spool is in perfect working order?). At least the Shimano has a spool tension dial on the reel to aid in your learning curve. Once your casting in the 60-80 yard range, consistently without back-lashing, I'd switch to the Newell for those additional 20 yards.

Like I said, I wouldn't suggest the Newell unless you're already casting at an expert level; as there's no spool tension knob. It's the way it should be; incredible free-spool with no breaks. The Newell is hard to beat (free-spool wise), unless you're catching big Yellowtail on the surface-iron with heavy drag...all the time. Or, plan to fish the surface-iron with spectra (this reel isn't made for that kind of stuff). If you're doing either of those things--- the drags just go out when the entire ocean erupts in front of you. Which isn't a big deal either if you have two jig-sticks on board, like me .

Since you have a Daiwa Sealine 50 already (which has great free-spool as well), that's just another option for you. For me, even though the Daiwa Sealine 50 has great free-spool, it's a little too wide (same width as the Torium 30). Remember, each cast will be a direct result of how well you wound the line on. It's just more challenging to wind the line on perfectly with a wider spool. It's also more challenging to wind your line on perfectly with a reel that has a low gear ratio---if, you're trying to wind fast. Which is common on a lot of jigs to make them swim properly. For that reason, I prefer not only the perfect height and width of the spool, but a 6 to 1 gear ratio.

In my opinion, the ultimate goal should be training your thumb to adjust to each swing. While spool tension and Magic Cast will help in the early stages of learning to cast---eventually, you should be casting with no breaks on the reel at all.

Above all, like I said in my previous post---it's about one thing: catching more fish. And the surface-iron is a great tool to achieve that goal. While I have all conventional reels, without breaks or magnets used on any of them, my eyes are forever open when it comes to catching more fish; the sky's the limit!

I still like to think, I improve every-time I'm on the water. And if a twenty-foot, hot pink, upside down coffee grinder with spectra can cast 200 yards---you might see me swinging one before it's all said and done.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #16
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

To join in on the Newell discussion, the tensioners are on the side plates on both the right and left side. However, you must adjust these with a large flat head screwdriver so on the water adjustment pretty much a pain in the ass.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
THE DARKHORSE

No doubt, The kid is an expert when it comes to reels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
To join in on the Newell discussion, the tensioners are on the side plates on both the right and left side. However, you must adjust these with a large flat head screwdriver so on the water adjustment pretty much a pain in the ass.

Being the expert you are on reels...I had hoped you'd chime in on twenty-foot, hot pink, upside down coffee grinders with spectra. If you buy one I will, too. Enough of this Ulua crap you and I have bought into (the jig-stick obsession)---it's time for a change. Instead of hot pink, I was thinking of a twenty-foot candy cane striped blank, with $400 worth of titanium guides!

Can you imagine the ridiculous bendo-shots we could get with a wide angle lens on those things?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #18
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

hahahaha oh man you and I know it would be so freaking awesome!!! I would piss myself laughing with joy as that entire rod is bent in the water. The wafting of the immense rod by the simple lapping of the swell upon your yak, the lifting and crisp crack of the rod like the gauchos whip driving broncos into the corral, and the bend in the rod taken pleasure only by those whose have had so courageously sacrificed their arms to a creature swimming in a realm only we as humans can tap into with the median known simply as "line". You can count on me getting that set up within the next 2 months. Now to just find the right rod. Reel= Shimano XXXXXXX 10000. Rod= Bamboo chute.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
Billy V

Your reel tutorial was spot on. The Sealine X 40, and the Saltist 40 are my favorite reels.
--------------------------------------------------

Daiwa has a couple of spinners made for spectra I'd like to try. I might have to dig out my old 12' Surf Rods.

The Saltist spinner - retrieves 53" of line per crank, and 33 lbs of drag. Not bad for $200. I might bring one of these home. This would be nice on one of those new jigging rods w/ a knife jig.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/images/r...tist-spin1.jpg

Then there is the Dog Fight spinner - retrieves 50" per crank and 66 lbs of drag. Made for cow tuna. $1099.95
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/images/r...-Dog-Fight.jpg
Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #20
Siebler

Quote:
Being the expert you are on reels...I had hoped you'd chime in on twenty-foot, hot pink, upside down coffee grinders with spectra. If you buy one I will, too. Enough of this Ulua crap you and I have bought into (the jig-stick obsession)---it's time for a change. Instead of hot pink, I was thinking of a twenty-foot candy cane striped blank, with $400 worth of titanium guides!

Can you imagine the ridiculous bendo-shots we could get with a wide angle lens on those things?
I just got a new power wrapper, Im in to help build these things

I love My Ulua and 338, by far my favorite jig stick I own or have ever owned. Actually thinking about wrapping a 10' Ulua next just cause.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote