Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
MotoHero

Where do you Park?

Good Morning All,

Don't need to share your fishing spots, but does Anyone care to share their parking info?

Some spots have more difficult access and I would appreciate any info to ease the parking;if its private do you ask someone to use it? Public is public. Are you walking onto a small beach or off a dock?

Shelter Island: parking lot works.
San Diego Bay/Coronado Bridge: any ideas?
San Diego Other spots: name it
Mission Bay: Davies parking lot works.
La Jolla Kelp: Info needed
Newport Bay: Could use some specific help on this one...
Corona Del Mar Kelp: Same
Dana Point: parking anywhere use the baby beach access.
Long Beach Oil Islands: Cherry Beach parking area
Any other LB spots?

So that's about it, if you feel like easing the parking concerns please share some info. I fish so infrequently I am sure your fish will be safe.

Dwayne
MotoHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
jbaker

San Diego bay / Coronado bridge, you launch and park at tidelands park, or you can launch at glorietta bay boat ramp. There's a fresh water spigot for wash down at glorietta bay, just have to bring a hose. I'm launching at tidelands in about an hour for a little float and fish. Another option is the Coronado ferry landing. Puts you right about perfect to fish the pipe
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
MrM

Great thread!

Park at the Coast Guard Station for Newport. Its public parking between 6am-10pm. There are 8 or 9 spots right in front, but they fill up quick. Also, you don't have to drag your yak thru the sand for 100 yards if you follow the walkway between the CG buildings. Maybe 10 yards of soft sand that way.

There are showers and bathrooms on site, and a short paddle to the bait barge, Crystal Cove, etc.

Google Maps this address:

Bayside Drive Beach Newport Beach, 1939 Bayside Drive, Corona Del Mar, CA 92625
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
taggermike

I don't know much about several of the places you named but I can help you a bit with some. SD Bay; Shelter Island, Spanish Landing, Jst, 24th st, and the places jbaker mentioned. Mission has a bunch of launch ramps and open beaches. Just dependes where you wnat to fish and if you want to buy bait. Dana; if you have a pass or can tollerate paying launching out of Doheny can work well. LJ; the shore (of course), Marine St, wind 'n Sea, maybe Tourmaline St. The LJ launches besides the shores are very surf dependent and are popular surf spot. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
jorluivil

The coast guard station parking at newport bay is cool but the sh*t that those trees drop on your cars really sucks!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
The coast guard station parking at newport bay is cool but the sh*t that those trees drop on your cars really sucks!!
^Word. At least its not sap! I try to wash my car every weekend anyway, needs to look good for corporate world Monday-Friday.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Caffeind

Found this to be a good reference for OC and North when I first started
http://www.ckf.org/putins/putin_list.asp
Caffeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Dana Pt. - You can also park at the boat launch for $10 (cash only/exact change). Much closer to the harbor mouth and bait barge, and free wash-down (bring your hose). But it is a concrete ramp, not sand.

Long Beach/Oil Islands
Cherry beach costs .25 per 15 minutes, so bring your quarters to feed the meter.
Claremont St. Catamaran Launch Has the same quarter parking plus free street parking if you get there early enough or are lucky. Concrete walk to within 100 feet or so of the water. Fresh water spigot at the sidewalk near the restrooms for washdown (bring hose).
Queen Mary boat ramp - $12 / day (I believe cash or credit card). Free washdown (bring hose).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
Found this to be a good reference for OC and North when I first started
http://www.ckf.org/putins/putin_list.asp
Nice, just went into my favorites
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Mongo Johnson

I don't park. I surf launch.

Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
mtnbykr2

I was gonna say that this thread is getting to be pretty good...but that is awesome....
Old 07-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
I don't park. I surf launch.

hahahahaha. best way to launch. EVER.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Mongo Johnson

More LB info

Facing the sea/oil islands: 5101 East Ocean Boulevard, Long Beach, CA near Bayshore, there are metered parking lots and a ramp across the sand toward the bay - where catamarans sometimes launch for less of a sandy wheel drag.

It is south of the LB Pier, a bit, near "Ripples,” and will get you to the Oil islands or out south toward Seal Beach Pier. Faces Island Chaffee. And nearer where the bay and San Gabriel River meet the ocean. See Greg's note above it this thread.

For Alamitos Bay cruising'/or a longer hump out to the bay:

5750 Boathouse Lane, Long Beach, CA Pete Archer Rowing Center, nice low dock for launching, and lots of parking, though some skullers may get all "surf punk" on you. (Well, it happened just once out of 10 launches. I act like a very humble guest there even though it appears to be a public dock. Strongly suggest if a rowing event is on, chill. They should get full dibs. So far, not rowing assn. membership for yakkaloppers. Haven't seen a rec' yakker yet.)

Also a Harbor Patrol office and boat there on weekends.

5437 East Ocean Boulevard, Long Beach, CA near Gondola Getaway and sort of across from the above Ocean Bl. spot, A mellow beach launch with hose and rack for boat hosing. Some free and some metered parking.

A yak around Alamitos Bay is 3 mi. About a mile from the inner bay launch points to where the bay and San Gabriel River meet the ocean. Alway see guys fishing off the jetty. Legs.

Last edited by Mongo Johnson; 07-10-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Removing errant charactes.
Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote