Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
PESCAHOLIC
Junior

NFILJ

The fish must have gone on vacation . Besides the thick layer of fog it was a nice day to be on the water . Launched at 6 with 2 rods and my little box of irons. Threw the b/w all day between 75-150 ft for nuthin . Saw good marks around 125ft but who knows . I got lost in the fog on my way in and ended up on top of some rocky boilers in 6 ft of water with waves around me . I was almost a mile south of the launch ...not used to the whole fog thing. Maybe next time...
PESCAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Just about the same story for me... Launched at 5ish to try for some squid... Por nada. Saw good marks most of the day between 100-150 feet, but I have seen more action in the middle of a desert! The fog was really heavy and never did burn off. I saw a few kayaks losing their way in the fog. More than a few people coming in were far to the south of the launch.

The water was really cluttered with broken up kelp and lots of Jelly fish. I noticed a lot of bio-luminescence in the water early as well. Some kind of "red tide"? The water just glowed when anything moved, beautiful.

Anyways, another 6 hours logged with no fishies. I am thinking of going out tomorrow for a game of Marco Polo... the fog is supposed to be even heavier. anyone want to join?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
ratdog

I also launched this morning about 5:45ish. Worked 80ft to 120 ft saw allot of what I think were schools of squid between 40ft to 80 ft. Tossed the B/W 6x jr and the scrambled egg 6x jr all for nothing. I always take a hand held GPS, I had no problem getting back.
I also liked the foggy conditions because I couldn't see anyone else even though I know people were close, I didn't feel like I was getting squeezzed or squeezzing anyone else. JMHO
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I wanted to get out this morning seeing as it was my birthday today... Went out to run my errands last night and forget to look and see what wire connectors I needed for my FF wiring. By the time I got back home it was too dark and too late. It has been tough getting out for me the last 6 months. Promotions at work have been slow (in reverse actually with all the layoffs) and things like getting a reel in the shop or buying terminal gear or fixing the wiring on my kayak have taken a back seat to making ends-meat and interviewing/testing. It's actually sad... 2 YT in '07 and a goose egg so far in '08. I feel ashamed to even be lurking anymore. Glad to see all I missed was time OTW. The last month has been torture for me.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Jimm H

Technical Advances

COMPASS and GPS. One has been around several centuries. The other is really good at finding the beach in a thick fog.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Dennis

Get both in case one craps out. I was losing my satellite reception in that fog. I ran into a boater who was in 20 ft of water. He asked me if I was facing NW. I told him that I was facing East, then he hits his compass and says, "You're right". I gave him a general idea where he was, then he asked which direction was Windansea? I told him, and he was off. Thick fog. I took a picture before I landed at 1100. This is 30yrds from the Marine Room, in 12 ft of water.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
frugalfisher

I drove to the launch.

Saw the fog. Drove home to come back after 3 for a few hours of paddling, hooking macs, snagging sardines on the iron, seeing big jellyfish, listening to the whales blow, and watching the sunset. Nice.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
fishdude

Same thing with wondering were the hell you where on the water. GPS is great in moments like that, but still a bit weird out there. On a somewhat positive note, ran into a bait ball the size of a football field. Sardines by the millions it seemed and lots of mackeral to boot. Made easy bait and went out to honey holes with low and high for nothing. Back to launch by 11:30.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
Matt
Support your local pangas

FOG

Funny thing, I only saw about 5 maybe 6 dudes I had no idea that half of you guys were out there!!!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #10
wavster

There were others out there?
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote