Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #321
Baja_Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPatrick View Post
Please show the whale pump installation. I'm very interested in that.
Here's a few pics of the whale pump install. Its a Whale Urchin from West Marine with 3/4" flex hose from the same source. A piece of 3/4" pvc pipe goes through the scupper hole to a 3/4" street elbow from Home Depot. The pump is easy to reach from the seat and pumps quite a bit of water with each stroke, so 3-4 pumps every 10-15 minutes should keep bait nice and healthy.

Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #322
fongman

Mirage Drive Splash Dam

When a Hobie is cruising above 4 mph, the power produced by the turbo fins forces an excessive amount of water up through the Mirage drive opening. To minimize this, I cut a piece of 1/4" rubber to fit snugly at the end of the drive opening. 2 screws holds it securely to the drive unit. The last picture shows the amount of water in the kayak with the dam in place and peddling about 4.5 mph.

fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #323
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongman View Post
When a Hobie is cruising above 4 mph, the power produced by the turbo fins forces an excessive amount of water up through the Mirage drive opening. To minimize this, I cut a piece of 1/4" rubber to fit snugly at the end of the drive opening. 2 screws holds it securely to the drive unit. The last picture shows the amount of water in the kayak with the dam in place and peddling about 4.5 mph.

I'll have to assume you're not aware of this but hobie already makes that part for the drives

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #324
fongman

Externally Mounted Transducer

When I picked up a Lowrance FF, the shape of the transducer convinced me to try an externally mounted, articulating transducer arm. I used plastic bimini top parts for the pivot points (end caps) and the base (deck hinge). It took a few adjustments to get the correct arm lengths and the proper angle entering the water. The first trials were unsuccessful because at higher speeds, air bubbles would form and cause vertical lines in the display (dropouts).

I'm still not sold on this method because it is more maintenance than a below deck mount. However, it may help give someone ideas for making a portable transducer arm.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #325
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I'll have to assume you're not aware of this but hobie already makes that part for the drives
You're right, I didn't know it. I haven't been in a Hobie store in quite a while and when I made it, I don't think there was one available. So..........never mind!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #326
StinkyMatt

Check out Mad Frog Liberaror. basically what you have there.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #327
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Check out Mad Frog Liberaror. basically what you have there.
I like the smaller tubes they used, but I wasn't about to spend $40.00 for one! Mine cost under $10.00. One of the reason for posting is to show some of the newbies alternatives to buying pre-made products. I remember a while back there were some discussions on how to make something like this.

Last edited by fongman; 01-26-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: *
Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #328
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

It was another dark and stormy night, not unlike the one about three years ago when I submitted my first contribution to the "Share Your Innovations" thread. After reading the most recent posts in this tread, I noticed that the number of views had just clicked over 100,000. Wow, that seems like a lot to me.

Just for fun, I started at the beginning and reviewed all the posts in this thread. There is a lot of good stuff in there. I counted at least a dozen great ideas that I have borrowed and personally used.

Thanks to all who have contributed over the years and also to BWE for making this milestone possible.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #329
Chuck D

Hobie Baitank Drain location modification

We'll after a series of events I decided to try adding a bait tank modification to my Hobie Bait tank. I purchased a scupper hole mount for my new fish finder so I could get some accurate reads. Then my Hobie bait tank was missing its drain hole. The water would almost fill up the back of my Outback making it a heavier and sloppy ride. So heres what I did. I figured that if I want to switch back I can always cap the hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-01-27 17.25.58.jpg (52.0 KB, 1541 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-27 16.40.02.jpg (50.6 KB, 1534 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-27 16.41.00.jpg (52.1 KB, 1532 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-27 17.25.07.jpg (52.5 KB, 1538 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-01-27 17.35.04.jpg (58.6 KB, 1537 views)
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #330
TheBentRod

ChuckD. Very interesting. I am not ready to modify the Bait tank just yet, but this is a good idea. Do you notice a drastic improvement on the FF? I am sure the temp reading is helpful.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #331
Chuck D

Stan,
Whats up bro! I have to say the readings are spot on now. It is a slight improvment in quality of finder since my hummingbird, but I believe having the ducer in the water sure is nice. Perfect temps and spot on readings. I had a seal buzzing my yak the other night for about an hour which gave me some time to test the accuracy, it worked great. Found some great structure too, landed me a nice fat bug! Hope all is well man, cant wait till the big trip.
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #332
inbx3

Yakima J Cradle Fix

So I was getting tired of having my cradles rotate everytime I hit with my kayak. The Yakima bars are round and no matter how much I tighten them the alwys end up like this.

So I figured there has to be a way to keep them straight so over to Home Depot I went and $8 later here's the finished solution.

I took a couple of 3/4" electrical conduit, cut it to the correct size, drilled a couple of holes in each end to line them up with the J cradles, flattened out the ends a bit and now they don't rotate.

inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #333
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Wet transducer scupper mount.

So I'm considering a hobie bait tank, but having the the toro sprinkled head holding my transducer in place no water can get out.
so it was time for a change. I came across a guy that made a custom mount for his here,

http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...son-kayak-cuda

After looking it over as well as the Lowrance one I decided it cant be that hard to make one that allows water to
flow out if I do decide to get a Hobie bait tank. The Lowrance uses a plastic piece of all thread as well as a "doughnut" to hold the transducer in place which to me seems like a design flaw.
So I got some 1/16 thick aluminum, a 1/4 dia x 1 inch long stainless nut, bolt and lock washers,
a 3/8 by 3 inch long all thread and the nut to go with it. last a 4 square inch 3/16 thick piece of ABS plastic. After all the measuring this is what I came up with.
I plugged the open scupper filled my current bait tank to the brim and let it drain into the well area as the hose was running keeping the tank level for about 20 mins, it didn't flood and looks like this might be a viable option but
without being on the water I'm not 100% sure that it will drain. So some OTW testing will be needed before I commit to the Hobie.

alum stock.jpg

top plug.jpg

unit.jpg

unit and trans.jpg

001.jpg

bottom close up.jpg

bottom front.jpg

bottom side 1.jpg

front to back.jpg

top view.jpg

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #334
captnblood34

I wanted so bad to have a wet scupper mount application for the deucer but, because of its unnatural bulge, and having to be constantly concious of not dragging it on whatever surface I launch from or my tailgate I decided against it. This is an alternitive that I found works quite well. DUCT SEAL. Its practically play-dough. Except for the fact it can get wet, not harden, holds its shape, causes no permananet damage, isn't messy, etc... Here is how I applied it. I made a little pool around the transdeucer with it and just splash some water in it to help in the temp reading. Even used a little on the bottom of my battery box to hold it wedged in place. This stuff rocks. A 16oz package cost under 3 bones at lowes. Best part is my FF is still in practically new/unused condition. Its just nice to keep nice stuff nice. Hope this is exactly what somebody was looking for!

And the same boys that drag my rig up on the beach after I'm done fishing, helped install the FF! If you got 'em, put 'em to work!

YAK.jpg

YAKK.jpg

YAKKK.jpg

YAKKKK.jpg

YAKKKKK.jpg
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #335
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

The prob I see with the duct seal is that its not strong enough to hold if you put something inside the hatch that can dislodge it, say the wheels off of your cart or a big fish. I also keep a kill bag with ice packs in the hatch which would throw off the temp readings. I have had my transducer thru the scupper since I got the kayak. I transport it in the back of my truck and surf launch and land on a regular basis. You just got to be mindful of it. As you can see its pretty scratched up but it works like the day I got it.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #336
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
So I'm considering a hobie bait tank, but having the the toro sprinkled head holding my transducer in place no water can get out.
so it was time for a change. I came across a guy that made a custom mount for his here,

http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...son-kayak-cuda

After looking it over as well as the Lowrance one I decided it cant be that hard to make one that allows water to
flow out if I do decide to get a Hobie bait tank. The Lowrance uses a plastic piece of all thread as well as a "doughnut" to hold the transducer in place which to me seems like a design flaw.
So I got some 1/16 thick aluminum, a 1/4 dia x 1 inch long stainless nut, bolt and lock washers,
a 3/8 by 3 inch long all thread and the nut to go with it. last a 4 square inch 3/16 thick piece of ABS plastic. After all the measuring this is what I came up with.
I plugged the open scupper filled my current bait tank to the brim and let it drain into the well area as the hose was running keeping the tank level for about 20 mins, it didn't flood and looks like this might be a viable option but
without being on the water I'm not 100% sure that it will drain. So some OTW testing will be needed before I commit to the Hobie.
WOW...I really like this.
Let me know how it works out Bus.
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #337
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
WOW...I really like this.
Let me know how it works out Bus.
I will post up some OTW video asap slated to work the next 16 days straight

Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #338
BrokeLoser

Quote:
I will post up some OTW video asap slated to work the next 16 days straight
Cool, I'll look for your post.
Sounds like we're on the same schedule...
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #339
Jimmyz123

Quote:
The prob I see with the duct seal is that its not strong enough to hold if you put something inside the hatch that can dislodge it, say the wheels off of your cart or a big fish. I also keep a kill bag with ice packs in the hatch which would throw off the temp readings. I have had my transducer thru the scupper since I got the kayak. I transport it in the back of my truck and surf launch and land on a regular basis. You just got to be mindful of it. As you can see its pretty scratched up but it works like the day I got it.
I have had my ducer installed with Duct seal and dropped the Kayak off the roof of my SUV 2 times and it never came loose. I have stored extra paddles, waders, and other junk inside and it's never come loose. I have mine installed using a sponge frame so maybe that helps keep it in place. I do like your install and have my wheels turning about installing that way on mine as well. Thanks for making think man, it's too early in the morning for that.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #340
SoCalCJ

PA External Bow Storage Bungee

PA12 External bow hatch storage. Quick and easy option to stash some stuff during launch or throughout the day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (70.3 KB, 1154 views)
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas