Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Dirty Curti

Carlsbad Surf & Turf

got to the beach at about 6:30 to see one of my fellow NCC members unloading his kayak and was enthusiastic to hit the water. I wasn't so sure as there were some breakers rolling in from the swell the last couple of days. We see an occasional open window where we think we could charge it. So off to the beach we go.

Waiting for the appropriate time to go took a few minutes. Building courage to charge as the window opens and off I go. I hit the first swell just as it was ready to break I had the speed to bust through. I get a nice warm shower to keep me cool as the sun breaks the horizon and it's warm. Water temp 77+ degrees I make it out to see bait breaking everywhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

My partners never make it out. But he's got a good story to tell. I'll leave that for him to tell if he wants too.

I get no love from all of the bait boils so I move on to make bait for my day ahead. Lot's of Spanish macs all over. I take a few just in case. The green backs are hard to find again. Eventually I get one large and one small about the size of a sardine. It will have to do.

I get out to the grounds where I've been getting the good ones to bite this month. Trolled around for a good hour with the large mac in tow. I notice that the line has gone slack so I reel in and my 30 lb. leader is bit in half with some jagged edges. Some how I get bit off without my clicker ever going off. That was interesting. I pin on a large spanish and tow that one around for a good hour for nothing. I decided to start working my way in to the kelp line as it looked real fishy in the morning. All of a sudden I hear some hooting going on outside from a couple in a boat raft. I turn it around and head back to my spot and immediately get picked up.

One on board.

[IMG][/IMG]

I pin on the small greenie while I tend to the yellow on board. Within minutes the reel screems again. It's a good fight, feels like another yellow when all of a sudden color shows a big bonito. That was a toad, fought admirably. I let it go. I've never been a real fan of Bonito meat but after reading some posts here I might try it again.

I decided to head in dreading the landing that lies in my future. Approached the landing zone letting the set roll through and then paddle like the wind. Make the landing with no problem catching the white water all the way in.

Loaded up and make it home before 1:00 pm and made a nice dinner.

[IMG][/IMG]

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
onetriphudson

Way to go NCC team member, thanks for the logo! That's some killer looking sushi you made. Was that Sunday?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Cbad Mike

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There's no fish in Carlsbad.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Dennis

Old 08-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
GBCbad

Another fine catch Curtis and nice work on braving the surf. Thanks again for the putting the logo together.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
Way to go NCC team member, thanks for the logo! That's some killer looking sushi you made. Was that Sunday?
Yep, Sunday.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
surfisher

Congrats again Curtis, had me second guessing my choice to hit LJ yesterday ... talk about a joke! haha

Was out on my friends boat today, we got blown out offshore so trolled C'bad for a while. We got doubles on those toad bonito! It was wide open after that on the surface iron but the YT didn't wanna play. Bucc pipe had the YT for us though
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
BigTunaL

I am the fellow NCC mmeber with a not so "good" story

Basically, I talked Dirty Curty into launching as I was so pumped and ready to bring dinner home. in a nut shell I lost over $500 in gear. Although I am still pissed off about it, but I learned my lesson pretty good, I would like to share with you what I've learned:

1. Don't get too cocky and think you can make it in 3-4' swells each and every time without flipping. I did have all my gear tied down, but I was stupid enough to leave my rods up (not stowed inside the kayak). I ended up breaking my shimano rod, and loosing my Daiwa big game reel and rod.

2. Don't go kayaking with expensive sunglasses even if you have them strapped to your head. You never know what can happen.

3. If you make a GoPro stick and spend hours getting ready, make sure to actually put the camera in the waterproof case. Jack ass here (me) forgot the gopro at home.

Cheers

Last edited by BigTunaL; 08-31-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: signature did not appear
BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #9
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Good work and a great write up!!!

Tasty looking hamachi too!

Sounded like a fun day in the water!

Geno
Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
iethinker

Sushi

AHHHHH....fresh jalapeno and wasabi...way to go!
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 PM   #11
Rav3n805

Solid catch! Thanks for uniting the NC Clan!
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
Cbad Mike

No.Co. might need its own sticky on here!
I like it!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
No.Co. might need its own sticky on here!
I like it!
You know Cbad, If it wasn't for you I would have never known about this site. Soooo, Without stepping on any toes, We could make you an "Honorary Member" of TNCC and that way you could still keep your allegiance with team Lollipop but have an affiliation with the North County Crew. I mean, this is your home and all.

Just throwing that out there.

Last edited by Dirty Curti; 09-01-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #14
SmokinBass

Chad mike

Cbad Mike I Just wanted to say thank you as well, I went to the sports authority in oceanside with my mind made up that I was going to buy a kayak to start fishing the kelp for some calicos. You saved me from buying a POS kayak, and turned me onto this sight. If it weren't for u and Cptn Wade I don't know how long it would have taken me to get on some yellows.

Thanks Cbad Mike and Cptn Wade!
Aaron
SmokinBass is offline   Reply With Quote