Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Short Dana Pt report, 12-18-15

Launched really late (8:30) to offshore winds and lots of sun. Started fishing the end of the jetty on the outside. After about 10min another kayaker thought it would be a good idea to setup a drift right where I'm casting I didn't say anything, but I was annoyed. He stayed right with me until I decided to head up to the point. Fished some boilers for 2 bites and 1 short calico. The NW wind kicked up early and blew pretty good. Made for a decent drift by the boilers I was working. Being short on time I started working my way in at 10:00 and fished some misc. hard spots for 1 more bite. On the ramp at 11:15.

All my fish came on a 5" Bad Shad Paddlerz on a silver 1/2oz Warbait head. My lucky Mr T jig didn't even get bit.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:26 AM   #2
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I have that happen to me on occasion at Dana Point -

A whole great big ocean to fish, one or two other kayakers show up later in my area and they want to fish right on top of me, and I got to my spot first.

I don't know why - it's almost like parking your car way out in left field in a parking lot all by it's lonesome, come back an hour later and someone is parked right next to you.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:39 AM   #3
Amish Ed

Yep. I like parking lot analogy. I just don't get it. I could almost get it if I was catching fish. But, I wasn't even doing that.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #4
Zed
BANNED

Innate perceived safety in numbers. There could be sabertooth cats around.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:10 AM   #5
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Innate perceived safety in numbers. There could be sabertooth cats around.
Or even scarier, Serial lalandi!
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #6
Amish Ed

Maybe he heard about the hammer heads?
Old 12-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Maybe he heard about the hammer heads?
could be he was just trying to learn something by watching another fisherman?I wish I had gone out yesterday. Today has just been cancelled, oh well, maybe next week.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #8
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
could be he was just trying to learn something by watching another fisherman?I wish I had gone out yesterday. Today has just been cancelled, oh well, maybe next week.
Perhaps, but if that's the case he should say something and still not paddle right where I'm casting.

Can you fish new years eve morning? Either Newport or Mission, depending on wether I have lots of time or little.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
taggermike

Nothing wrong with rollin by for a chat n "having any luck". But setting up right down drift of you, not so cool. Sadly I almost expect it from boaters, or big sporties in LJ, but not a kayak. Maybe just a newbie that couldn't find some one to go out with. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Perhaps, but if that's the case he should say something and still not paddle right where I'm casting.

Can you fish new years eve morning? Either Newport or Mission, depending on wether I have lots of time or little.
I'm with you, just let me know which you want to do.

I don't know what the guy was trying to do, I'm just trying to put a positive spin on what happened. I had that happen at Lake Skinner once, every time I moved an overloaded boat full moved right in on me. I got tire of it and tried to swamp their boat but the ranger caught me and told me since there was no body contact with the lake I wasn't allowed to drown idiots. Then he went over and told them to quit parking on top of me every time I caught a fish.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #11
Harry Hill

. Maybe just a newbie that couldn't find some one to go out with. Mike[/QUOTE]

That is what I was thinking. Of course you would think even a newbie would say hello and ask if you mind if he hangs around. The thing is working with these ME generation kids I'm finding out they don't know even the basics of common courtesy. Some learn it but many are so coddled growing up with their parents teaching them how entitled they are they just aren't learning some of the basics.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #12
Rufus

Back in the days before GPS, I had a paper chart on my skiff that I'd use to find rock cod on the nine. You had to limit the run time of the chart or you'd use too much paper. So I timed the run out from Mission Bay at a given speed, (without the chart running) then once I figured I was close, I'd turn on the chart and start looking for fish holding high spots.

When I found a spot I'd mark it using a 2# weight, a lot of 1/4" line, and an orange buoy.

More often than not some Adam Henry would start drifing my buoy right out there in the middle of the ocean!! My high spot that I had to work like a mofo to find. So I'd always pull my buoy and move, leaving the poacher butt ass nakid with no reference.

Sometimes the AH would even yell at me for pulling my own buoy!!

Funny thing tho, I would have let them work my buoy if they would have asked first and cooperated with me. There are enough fish in the sea for two boats or yaks. But in years of skiff fishing, nobody asked.

Fast forward to today with space age GPS that will put everybody on the same spot.

I'd encourage y'all to respect the guy who got there first, and ask him if you could cooperatively work the spot. Then cooperate with each other!

Let's not stoop to the level of the cattle boats who simply pull up to the spot you're fishing on, then they start throwing iron in your direction.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #13
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

people see you fishing... they assume there are fish there. so they'll fish your spot.

sometimes when people are staring at me... i'll purposely snag something and pretend to fight it for 2-5 minutes. then break off. have them flock to the spot while i go fish my usual spots. if i'm actually hooked up and someone is nearby. i dip my rod in the water and act like nothing is happening
Old 12-21-2015, 08:56 AM   #14
Amish Ed

That's the thing, I wasn't even getting bit, let alone catching. I'm just glad it doesn't happen to me often.