Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
Mahigeer

Some good news to share with my BWE family here.

On Monday, I will be picking up my new 2017 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium in Nautical blue color.

I will have the minimum four requirements for traveling to Baja, or other off-road destinations.

4X4 drive,
Roof rack for roof carrier container,
Rear backup camera; to see my kayak that will be sticking out from the cargo area. No more kayak on the roof.
Tow package.

Lots of other bells and whistles that are not needed for Baja, but are nice to have.

Added to new gear is Spot Gen3 Satellite GPS messenger unit (on sale from Cabela's at 1/2 price),
Additional tow cable,
Hi-lift jack,
12V jack and impact wrench kit,
Harbor Freight truck bed extender to support the kayak with addition of rear lights.

And I am getting ready for Baja.
Not bragging, just sharing my good news with the family here.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
blazian

How are you going to haul the yak? With the lift gate open? Doesn't exhaust fumes go into the truck? I must be missing something
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
vanduzerwilliam
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
How are you going to haul the yak? With the lift gate open? Doesn't exhaust fumes go into the truck? I must be missing something
I put my 14 in the back of my wife 4Runner it fits awesome only sticks out a tab and haven't had any issues with exhaust coming back in just crack the front windows and it's like a wind tunnel
vanduzerwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
Mahigeer

Good question. Thanks.

I plan to build a platform over the kayak for cargo. Also areas on both sides of kayak should have room for some stuff. Roof carrier is another place for light stuff, like sleeping bag, etc.

Then the plan is to build a removable "wall" inside of rear lift door if you will.
That way only the kayak will be sticking out. The wall will be cut out to the silhouette of the kayak.

The wall will provide security and keep the fumes out.
The backup camera will eliminate the need to see from the back window, however with the lift door strapped to the kayak, I wonder how the camera angle will be. How will it affect the view?

Lots of experimentations to get it right.

With my Sentri card, towing a kayak trailer is out of question. Unless the rules change.

As you can tell by the posting of this reply, it is late, yet I am too excited to go to sleep!

Lots to think about. Once done, I will post pictures of the progress.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Mahigeer

I got woken up last night by the sound of helicopters looking for someone.
After that I could not go back to sleep, so I was reading the fine print in my contract with the dealer.

In it I read that I need their written permission to take the SUV outside of US or Canada! I guess that means Mexico. Technically as long as I owe them payments, they own the SUV.

The first think that I told the salesman and the sales manager, was that "I am looking for a 4Runner to take to Baja for fishing", and that had to have; A, B, C, etc.

I will have to talk to them on Monday when I go to pickup the SUV. I need to notify the CBP as to the vehicle change on my Sentri Pass.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
Baja_Traveler

Well, that takes care of the transportation problem.

Now you can start working up a plan to take care of the rooster problem!
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
Dave Legacy

Not that it's any of my business, but I'm not crazy about the idea of you driving down to Baja and back with the kayak inside your truck. If you get an aftermarket roof rack you can potentially run a cargo pod and the kayak side by side on the roof. An alternative is longer load bars or a skinny cargo pod + j-racks on the factory load bars.

You're starting to gravitate towards overland expedition style of thinking and if that's the case you should really check out the Expedition Portal forums. Lots of parallel thinking going on over there.

Are you familiar with the Tiger Moth Trailer? https://taxaoutdoors.com/ultra-light...amper-trailer/

If I was adventuring solo, or with just my wife, I'd probably invest in one. Load bars on the roof to accommodate a kayak or two as well. I'm just remembering no trailers for the SENTRI lane?

Congrats on your new rig!
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
FullFlavorPike

That's a sweet rig. Congrats, man!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #9
blazian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Good question. Thanks.

I plan to build a platform over the kayak for cargo. Also areas on both sides of kayak should have room for some stuff. Roof carrier is another place for light stuff, like sleeping bag, etc.

Then the plan is to build a removable "wall" inside of rear lift door if you will.
That way only the kayak will be sticking out. The wall will be cut out to the silhouette of the kayak.

The wall will provide security and keep the fumes out.
The backup camera will eliminate the need to see from the back window, however with the lift door strapped to the kayak, I wonder how the camera angle will be. How will it affect the view?

Lots of experimentations to get it right.

With my Sentri card, towing a kayak trailer is out of question. Unless the rules change.

As you can tell by the posting of this reply, it is late, yet I am too excited to go to sleep!

Lots to think about. Once done, I will post pictures of the progress.
That makes a lot more sense, I remember the exhaust fumes were bad when i tried that once. Cracking the front window helps but I wouldnt want to do that on a long Baja trek. Sounds like a nice setup
Old 04-22-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
skrilla

Lift gate open and strapped? I would double check local laws especially concerning the third brake light. Premature wear and tear on the lift gate shocks, strapped is not locked after all. Annoying door open light always illuminated would bug me to death. Rear camera is a good idea but, knock on wood, if you get pulled over I would assume an LEO would want full visual of the cabin. Not to rain on your parade but I would hate to hear you get busted for it.

Congrats on the new ride though. I'd get one in a heartbeat but our 3rd gen 4Runner keeps on ticking.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #11
Mahigeer

Thank you for all the comments about my plans. It helps me through the road that I have not traveled yet and your experience is needed and welcomed.

Trailer of any kind is out of question due to the use of Sentri card.
Putting the kayak on my existing 4Runner has been a pain, even with the lighter than XFactor, Outback.
My roof rack has been bent and there is paint chipped that I had to touchup before rust set in.
The new 4Runner looks even taller, and it will be harder to get my kayak on. I am getting on in years, and not as fit as I used to be. This whole project started as a challenge to resolve various issues with me enjoying the Baja trips and not having to work so hard for a chance to get fish.

I think I can build a plywood wall, so the fumes would not get in, and it would provide safety for the cargo. It will also be so that I can load and unload the gear.
There is 120V outlet in the cargo area. A long fan maybe a useful item to blow the exhaust away.

Dome light can be turned off.

As to the rooster, “I make the owner an offer he can’t refuse”. A howling coyote sound track.

There will be 2” pipe insulation with the thickest wall available under the lift gate, and gate strapped in. Will shall see.

The extender will have LED lights at left and right side of the “T” to duplicate the vehicle lights.

None of the matters if dealer does not issue a written permission letter, allowing me to take the vehicle to Mexico as long as I have payments to make. I will resolve that on Monday.

Got to go now, but keep comments and suggestions coming.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
Dave Legacy

I'll be eager to see your build; I'm sure it'll work well for you. One more go round since I just can't help myself... have you considered investing in a Thule Hullavator?
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #13
blazian

As for the "Rooster" there is are a couple easy fixes. I use a Rooster Collar to bring down the volume by at least 75% enough where my neighbors don't notice. (It's basically a 1"-1 1/4" wide velcro from home depot that you trim to neck size). or like me you could always bring earplugs on any trips that involve a bunch of guys snoring!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
EastLosYaker

Not an issue to get "permission" to take your truck into Mexico. I remember sending/receiving a fax in the past. Might be as simple as an email that you print out now. Nothing to worry about. Very easy process.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #15
Raskal311

Just curious if you considered a Toyota Tacoma and if so why u went with a 4Runner.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #16
MrPukaShell

Good for you, Baja bound
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #17
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
That is GREAT news Arkadash. If anyone can figure it out it is you. Tight Lines and we will see you soon amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #18
wwkf

Baja

Do you go ? Often enough to makos place ,about buying a used kayak and
Park it at makobobs place .
He wouldn't mind will he?
wwkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #19
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
As for the "Rooster" there is are a couple easy fixes. I use a Rooster Collar to bring down the volume by at least 75% enough where my neighbors don't notice. (It's basically a 1"-1 1/4" wide velcro from home depot that you trim to neck size). or like me you could always bring earplugs on any trips that involve a bunch of guys snoring!

It is neighbors rooster, and I cannot touch it. As to ear plugs, it is a good idea and I have used it before. I sleep in my tent away from the guys, to be far from their snoring, and my snoring to bother them.

Thanks for the tip though.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #20
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastLosYaker View Post
Not an issue to get "permission" to take your truck into Mexico. I remember sending/receiving a fax in the past. Might be as simple as an email that you print out now. Nothing to worry about. Very easy process.
Thanks, there is always a way. I could get a credit from B of A as I originally intended, but it did not happen.

Then pay Toyota financial. Not sure if B of A has the same requirement.