Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Clickityclack
Junior

I like big butts!

Not a yaker, but I am always putt-putting out there with you guys, so I thought I'd share.

Last weekend...fficeffice" />>>
So last weekend I decided to head out of LJ super early and try for the elusive WSB. Got up at 3AM, launch around 3:40. No go on any bait, even with the fluorescent sabiki I bought on Amazon. It's a nice, calm night, so I head out to 100' just in front of the condo and decide to drift some squid. I put one down to the bottom using a dropper loop with an 8oz weight, and a fluorescent 4oz egg straight to the hook on the other. Things got nice and lively pretty soon with a mixed bag of barracuda, sand and calico bass, bat ray and what I know was a very large BSB, who swallowed my florescent AHI lure as I Yo Yo near the bottom. Luckily, after a 10 min tug of war, I ripped the hook out of it's mouth - that VW of a fish was not going anywhere, we've all been there, right? Things died down after sunrise, no real quality catch, but still lots of fun.>>
>>
This weekend...>>
I kind of enjoyed the night session last weekend, so I thought I'd try again this Sunday. Same drill, launch around 3:30, don't even try for the bait and go straight to drifting squid from 90 to 140' between the big and small condo. Unlike last weekend the wind really picked up at night and it was pretty cold. No bites, dead, windy, cold. That is until first grey to sun-riseish time. Wind died down considerably, and as I am drifting in 100' of water - BAM!, the dropper loop on the bottom gets hit with a very nice sized sand bass. I'll take it since until now I thought I was going home empty handed. Spirits are up. I went ahead and re-bait my second pole (the one with the fuoro egg straight to hook) with 2 squid and down they go. As soon as they hit the bottom WHAM! Super excited, because this fish has some weight to it and what's more - headshakes!! Could it be?? I try not to get too excited, as I have pulled out my fair share of sharks from the bottom, but as I keep working it up I am hopeful. Visibility is real good and as I bring the fish to color ... I see the beautiful, flat brown color ... and all I keep thinking is - must keep pressure on! Fish was much larger then what I anticipated, as it surprisingly did not fight very much on the way up. I grab the gaf and first chance I get, I nail it! Crappy gaf shot in the lower half, but I want this fish on board ASAP. As soon as I gaf it, it goes berserk, soaking me from head to toe, but I don't care one bit. Super stoked, I let out a big Whoo!!, to no one in sight. I kept fishing for another hour or so, and had what I anticipate by the fast, screaming reel to be a yellowtail bite, but he spit it out by the time I got to it. Saw a guy land a nice yellow on my way back (post just before this one - congrats!).>>
>>
My scale was broken, but I would guess around 35lbs+ on the flatty.

>Name:  Halibut 2.JPG
Views: 1506
Size:  102.3 KB

Name:  Halibut.JPG
Views: 1471
Size:  92.0 KB
>

>>
Tight lines!>>
Clickityclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Nice fish
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
JeffB

Very nice butt indeed
Old 11-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
FISH11

Congrats, nice Butt on the RIB.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
tim506
Junior

way to go ,I'm so jealous
tim506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:48 AM   #6
TJones

pig

nice timely report. thanks for sharing.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:09 AM   #7
OG OUTCAST

Big butt

Nice big butt!
OG OUTCAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
YTHunter
Carlisle

Great report. Nice Halibut!
Old 12-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
steveooo

That is a nice one!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Great fish, congrats!
Old 12-02-2015, 03:09 PM   #11
Starsky

Nice Fish and report! Thanks for sharing!
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
yutbalko
Junior

it's a great fish. good luck
yutbalko is offline   Reply With Quote