Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Heading out to sea for the first time. HELP!!?

Hey everybody, i have an ocean kayak prowler 13 that ive got for a couple months now. Ive used it twice and i think i got the hand of paddling and getting back on if i flip. I havnt mastered my drift yet but i think ill get used to it after a few more trips. So now i want to launch from the surf for my first time but i had a couple questions first. When you say the wave "sets" that come in what do you mean? Also how much of a swell should i becareful of when going out? How far out should i travel? I have no gps with me so any thing you guys reccomend to get back? Im actually looking to buddy yak with someone if you guys could show me the ropes, im free this saturday, sunday, monday, tuesday, friday, and saturday.im looking to yak as far as la jolla all the way to ventura but prime places would be from newport to ventura. I have this new spot i think would be good to fish but im not experienced in fishing since i dont head out alot but it would be cool to give it a shot. Btw, who has the number for the guide darkhorse? Thanks all tips and info appreciated. Pm me if you want to buddy yak.
Biggameaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
tacmik

Wave sets are a series of waves that come in one after the other anywhere form 6 or 7 waves to 10 or so. followed by a short lull and then repeated. the object is to wade out about knee deep, watch the waves (sets) figure out when the lulls come. when the last wave in the set comes in, hop in kayak and paddle like heck. You will get wet. As far as swells go. It is whatever you are comfortable with. Iv'e been out in smaller swells but due to wind and currents, was more uncomfortable than with four ft. gently rolling swells. The same goes for how far out to go. Just remember, it takes longer to paddle back and you are more tired. Also it depends on weather conditions, wind, fog. Hope this helps. I sometimes have a hard time explaining what I know. (or don't know).
Old 09-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Wait, so you have very little fishing experience and no kayak experience? What about small watercraft ?

I'd recommend a lot of bay trips and venture to open water from there. Do some empty surf launches and landings. Watch some videos of guys landing fish and practice some "dry" runs of using your gaff with a rod in your hand.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
taggermike

I gotta lean with lowprofile on this one. What is a "set" is a question I have ever heard on this board befor. Tide, onshore/offshore winds, long shore transfer, wave periods. You might need Oceanography 101 befor you start with fishing and kayaking related questions. Some kayak surf practice is always a good place to start. You'll learn about sets and also what size of waves you're comfortable handling. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Kailolo

Contact a guide. I went with Jim Sammons over a decade ago, and thankful I did. Not only will he educate you to ocean fishing techniques and sites, but will ensure you have the right equipment (including safety stuff) and skills (like kayak surfing).
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Cbad Mike

Maybe you can get a little more comfortable by launching in a harbor and paddling out into the open water. This way you can get familiar with swells and the action of the water. Plus if you find yourself getting a little sea sick you won't be far away from the calm water of the harbor.
Just my 2 cents.... Good luck.

Mike
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
finyak

Good advice from all the above.I've had my kayak for 2 months now and I'am still not ready for LJ.I'am going to take my time and get real comfortable with my yak before going out.I'am also getting some less expensive gear together e.g.Jigmaster 500,Diawa Sealine30,Torium 30 in case of rollover.Leashes are a must.Meanwhile I'am practicing throwing plastics in the bay and lakes while I"am getting ready.

Good luck.
finyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
Mongo Johnson

Surfline will tell ya how fierce the waves are on any given day. Bigger surf will bounce ya that much more. A flat day, means an easier in and out and less boncing.

Regardless of the wave height, and the tides, wave sets are an IMPORANT underlying thing to take time to figure out. You can lessening you hassle by using the lulls between the sets. Often, it's a patience folks don't have and it gets 'em pounded.

Waves come in on a recurring cycle of "sets" . . . like clockwork . . . big waves come in followed by a lull, and then another "set" of the bigger waves followed by a lull. This varies based on tides and wind. But, sets is sets.

You have to sit on the beach, higher up is better, and just watch to find the pattern of the sets on any given day or time of day. Or, sit outside the surf zone and gauge the feel as you come in.

Just watching a bit can save you some grief of a tumble, or a big tumble vs a small one.

You're looking for the mellowest gap in the cycle.

If you stand on the beach and happen to be in a lull, you may think to dash in. If you happen to be at the "end" of that lull, then you meet the big waves as you go out.

Were you to wait for the end of a lull AND the completion of bigger part of the set, you'd be going in at the beginning of the lull and have more time to get out in less sloppy water or genuine waves.

Google beach diving tips. Lots of stuff on beach diving and safe entry that's directly relevant to yak entry.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo Johnson View Post
Surfline will tell ya how fierce the waves are on any given day. Bigger surf will bounce ya that much more. A flat day, means an easier in and out and less boncing.

Regardless of the wave height, and the tides, wave sets are an IMPORANT underlying thing to take time to figure out. You can lessening you hassle by using the lulls between the sets. Often, it's a patience folks don't have and it gets 'em pounded.

Waves come in on a recurring cycle of "sets" . . . like clockwork . . . big waves come in followed by a lull, and then another "set" of the bigger waves followed by a lull. This varies based on tides and wind. But, sets is sets.

You have to sit on the beach, higher up is better, and just watch to find the pattern of the sets on any given day or time of day. Or, sit outside the surf zone and gauge the feel as you come in.

Just watching a bit can save you some grief of a tumble, or a big tumble vs a small one.

You're looking for the mellowest gap in the cycle.

If you stand on the beach and happen to be in a lull, you may think to dash in. If you happen to be at the "end" of that lull, then you meet the big waves as you go out.

Were you to wait for the end of a lull AND the completion of bigger part of the set, you'd be going in at the beginning of the lull and have more time to get out in less sloppy water or genuine waves.

Google beach diving tips. Lots of stuff on beach diving and safe entry that's directly relevant to yak entry.
Very descriptive. Thanks alot.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Mongo Johnson

... keep perpendicular to the waves and paddle like hell even on a flat day.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbad Mike View Post
Maybe you can get a little more comfortable by launching in a harbor and paddling out into the open water. This way you can get familiar with swells and the action of the water. Plus if you find yourself getting a little sea sick you won't be far away from the calm water of the harbor.
Just my 2 cents.... Good luck.

Mike
All good advice. This is the most important thing. Get used to your kayak. Understand how to change direction in your yak. Prowlers track pretty well and are made for surf launches.

Watch all of the You-tube videos on launching and landing. There are very helpful ones.

If you don't have a GPS, just don't lose sight of shore. So don't go out on foggy days. Also get a compass in case and learn to read it.

The only way to learn is to get out on the water. The only thing that matters is to be safe.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
echo1er

crawl...walk...run!

harbor...baby beach...surf!
echo1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
bellcon

Some good advice
But lets not make harbors sound like a no danger zone...

Some crazy chit can and will happen to you in a harbor if your not careful;
Wind, small boats, sail boats, wind surfers and large ships are just some of the dangers

Keep your head on a swivel and be safe out there
Old 09-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Some good advice
But lets not make harbors sound like a no danger zone...

Some crazy chit can and will happen to you in a harbor if your not careful;
Wind, small boats, sail boats, wind surfers and large ships are just some of the dangers

Keep your head on a swivel and be safe out there
True that!
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
PE.rider

...What everyone has said so far plus...

Make sure your vessel is fitted with proper safety gear like VHF Marine radio, safety and signalling tools, rod leashes, tie-downs or bungee hatches, anchors, first-aid kits, H20, etc. These are all must haves!
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Ya everyone gave some good advice. Reading back on my post, i kinda made it sound like im a complete noob. Im not that unexperienced as i made it sound in the post. Im okay in fishing like i know the rigs and techniques used but ive never put them to use. And i appreciate all the help and tips everyone of you guys gave. When you guys say a vhf radio, is that like the marine cb radios or just a regular walkie talkie?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Anyone want to hitup cabrillo harbor this week?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #18
Mongo Johnson

VHF radio suggestions from recent thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
When you guys say a vhf radio, is that like the marine cb radios or just a regular walkie talkie?
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=radio