Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
dorf

Wind Blown Bay 6-7-08

After 2 weeks of nursing a bad back I was feeling well enough to take my boys out. My buddy Alex brought along his boy and we hit up a few spots Alex thought would be "Hot Spots".

We launched out of SI. The wind was kicking hard enough to put out a couple of white caps. We watched for a few minutes and it died down enough for us to launch. We headed straight for a couple of dock areas for a couple of reasons:
1. We though would yield some good fish.
2. We thought it would protect us from the wind.
Wind and current kept us pretty busy but on my first cast I get a hook up but can't land it. Good sign. I had my 2 boys (7&8) on my yak each got hit pretty good early on but it died out pretty quick. Alex and his boy have similar results.
The boys are getting bored and wet and want to hit the beach. I set them at the shore to play and I head out for a few more minutes for nada. We hung out on the beach while the boys make sand castles.

No fish to speak of but it was a nice day on the water with the kids.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Right on....

I am taking my son (11) next weekend on the SCI mother ship trip.

Hopefully I'll have an epic report.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadog View Post
Right on....

I am taking my son (11) next weekend on the SCI mother ship trip.

Hopefully I'll have an epic report.
I look forward to hearing about that.
I worked on SCI for 3 years and would take my family out for weekends. We would fish from the pier and pull in 5-7 pound Sheepsheads. We also had SCI Angler's Club boats to take out in Wilson Cove. Great fishing. I am more interested on how the younger ones handle the trip.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
MVC

My son and I fished SI yesterday too. The wind was blowing hard right down the bay. We paddled to the bait barge and it took us over 2 hours. I thought that the wind would die down but it only got worse. My son caught the biggest sand bass that I had ever seen near the barge.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Big Vic
Junior

Cool

I fished bay with my dad. What a way to introduce him to kayak fishing. Wind was blowing, white caps splashing and I'm the only one who caught any fish. Just two sandies and one greedy mackarel. Hope the wind dies down soon.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
Sherm

I was down on Point Loma that morning looking at the wind and thinking it was a good decision not to fish the bay that morning. At least you were on the water. thanks for the report.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote