Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
yaky yak

Noisy tyrino reel.

I bought a Shimano Tyrnos 8 reel on craigslist. It looks brand new, and the guy who sold it say's it was never used on the water. I like the reel. I filled it with 50lb braid. The only problem I have with it is the gears are loud. It sounds about the same reeling in line with the clicker on as with it not. I was doing some yo yoing with it with my Favorite iron and I felt like everyone with in a 150 yards could hear it.
Is this just a thing with 2 speed reels or the tyrnos reels? Or is something maybe wrong with this reel. Think it needs a little grease on the gears? Anyway Tyrno owners do your reels make a lot of noise while winding? Or just mine? Thanks
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
JeffB

No, its just a loud reel. There are many other reels loud like it. the main difference from when the clicker is engaged is that it makes a fast wind sound and click when you pull out line, versus not engaged it makes a slow wind sound when reeling it in and no noise when the line is pulled out.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
CheapPelican

Both single and II speeds sound like a winch. This weekend my buddy commented on how noisy it was from about 10yds away. Said I should sell it. I engaged the clicker and kept reeling.
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
skrilla

IIRC they've got a double dog anti reverse that's spring actuated. The noise is just the pawls clicking into place as the anti reverse gear rotates.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
IIRC they've got a double dog anti reverse that's spring actuated. The noise is just the pawls clicking into place as the anti reverse gear rotates.
Absolutely!!! Tiagras are loud as well. The Tyrnos is built like a tiny big game reel, that clicking is the sound of a indestructible anti-reverse. If you don't like it I'll take it.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
oneyedeer

you can take it apart and lube the paws it will soften it down a bit
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Badtaste2k

It is a loud reel, but it's bad ass!

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
yaky yak

Thanks for the info. I love the little noisy reel. I just won't be using it for yo yoing any more if I can help it. I have a daiwa sealine I normally use for jigging anyway. Nice and quit.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
wbrewski

If you really don't like the noisy reel take the reel to Shimano repair center in Irvine Ca. I take all my reels there once every othe year and for a couple of bucke the make them like new. Some times they don't even charge you.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
TheBentRod

I have two, but only will be using one on the yak. I use it for a bait stick. I have it spooled with 65lb braid and flourish top shot. Reels in the most powerful fish with ease. Definitely not a jig or yo-yo reel due to the noise.

Overall a great reel.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote