Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2016, 05:12 PM   #1
HobieOneCanoebe

Night Fishing

Hey guys I want to start a thread to talk about night fishing off the kayak of

course. I haven't had the guts to paddle out at night yet and I think it would be

really interesting to hear how you guys who fish at night got over your fears,

where you went out, if you went with a group, good night fishing techniques etc.. Hopefully I get a couple

good responses and I can post about my own night fishing experience, thanks

guys lets go get some
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #2
taggermike

I've night fished in SD bay many times. Love it out there at night; quiet, cool, calm, no wind, hardly any boats. Corvina under lights. Fun stuff. Never thought it was a big deal, just keep a light on and pay attention.

As for fishing LJ; can't say I've gone night fishing but have fished in the dark before dawn and after sunset. Going thru the surf in the dark is interesting.

Fished at night in an estuary in Baja once. No moon, no lights any where. Just stars. Had a bit of trouble finding my way back to camp but it was great out there. Caught a snook too.

I think night's mostly a state of mind. There's really nothing bad out there at night thats not there in the day too. Go for it and share a report. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #3
EastLosYaker

There are plenty of threads on here about night fishing. Check some of them out.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Croaker Dave

Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Go with a partner .....

I got my first WSB by my self but there were a lot of free swimming squid kayakers and boats it was a wide open wsb bite off la jolla in July. I launched one time at 2am and paddle to only one light on the horizon, it was a guy anchored sleeping in a boat and would not get up, so with no buddy out there and no moon light to see I paddled into the kelp and tied off, it seemed forever till first light you really feel vulnerable by your self.Another time I went by my self in a red tide what a trip that was everything under you lights up I'm thinking that big object that swam under me all lit up was a seal could have been a shark who no's
If you need a partner to go with send me a message and we can plan a trip if there's wsb around I like to go on a full moon
Old 06-05-2016, 12:53 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
A good start to night fishing is

Go early before first light and paddle to scripts pier in the dark by your self to make bait if you see any lights in the water there scuba divers making a canyon night predawn...dive
Old 06-05-2016, 07:15 AM   #7
FullFlavorPike

I've gone night diving in La Jolla a few times, and that's much spookier till you get used to it.

Night fishing is awesome. There aren't a billion fools scaring the fishes.

When the dogs go crazy in the darkness I wonder if it's Mr. White chasing them around. My life will be complete if I get to see a 500 pound knothead pay his overdue taxes by the light of the moon. Also, I will probably be needing new waders. ja!
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
PescadorPete

Night fishing is no big deal. Until you try it, you'll see. Major peaceful on the big ocean. First off is you can't really see the surf at launch so that removes that angst. Punch through and away you go. It's amazing at how well you can see in the dark with the ambient light, even at a new moon. Occasional sea dogs flying by under your plastic craft to keep you on your toes. The only issue I've ever had was at a new moon and heavy fog so I couldn't get my bearings. I launched and got out past the breakers. But something didn't feel right. Once I fired up my GPS, I realized that a ripping parallel current was dragging me back to the Marine Room and wanting to plant my ass on the beach. Major peddling got me out of that predicament.

Of course, there are no fish in the night time, NOT!

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Go early before first light and paddle to scripts pier in the dark by your self to make bait if you see any lights in the water there scuba divers making a canyon night predawn...dive
Drop the sabiki on their heads and listen to the reel scream
Old 06-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #10
HobieOneCanoebe

night

Awesome wsb in the dark! Thanks for all the responses I'll definitely message a few of you guys to plan a trip. As for the wind and surf would I be ok going out in 2'-3' 14 second periods and 7 knots? I go out on some really rough days in the light but don't want to get dunked at night lol
Old 06-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #11
HobieOneCanoebe

ha

Croaker Dave you jerk that thing is haunting hahahah
Old 06-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #12
Murray

Highly recommend to buddy up with someone. SLOW is key at night. No quick movements etc that may cause a problem. Have everything in its right place....not good to be fiddling around trying to figure things out when you are in the dark. Take your time, do not rush, and have lots of fun enjoying the difference of a night run. Good luck and be extra safe.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
I launched one time at 2am and paddle to only one light on the horizon, it was a guy anchored sleeping in a boat and would not get up,
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #14
GregAndrew

IDK about that night time fishing stuff. I hear there are ghosts out there!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntb6KDqU0X8
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
IDK about that night time fishing stuff. I hear there are ghosts out there!
I ain't afraid of no ghost...
Old 06-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #16
HobieOneCanoebe

video

killer video man, so you guys paddle out aiming to get first light? Or do you guys sometimes just go out at night and fish through the dark? I need a tutorial on catching squid out there I have a few jigs I'm just lost as for where to go and all that looking forward to going out one of these nights as soon as the conditions all come together!