Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Dark_Knight_9C1

Surf landing question

Has anyone tried using a small anchor tied to one end to keep the kayak straight while landing in the surf? Seems like it would help but might get the wave to wash over the anchor end.

Strange question but had to ask.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Dingokevin

Bad idea, learn to do it right not finding ways around it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingokevin View Post
Bad idea, learn to do it right not finding ways around it.
X2 What he said.

FYI and in the future, you should have posted this under the General Discussion...some people get upside when non-fishing reports are posted in this section.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
h2ofishfo

???? Seems like your nose would dig in the wave ...then. Game over only good thing is you wouldn't have to worry about your kayak going anywhere when you have your yard sale
Old 08-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

You actually don't want your kayak to stay straight (perpendicular to the waves) in the surf zone on a landing. Launching you do though. After you catch a wave in, you want to go right away to one side or the other then brace to that side. Then you ride the one small wave in, sideslipping to avoid digging the rail. The anchor might just hold you in the impact zone, just long enough for that set wave to find you. Catch the smallest wave you can and brace. If that wave passes you, you need to sprint in to avoid lingering in the impact zone.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
HobieOneCanoebe

Or you could turn around face the wave head on take a few paddles and let it push you in. I do this on big days you just go over a few of those insiders head on and you'll be on shore in no time. I even paddle backwards sometimes lol I go out on big days.
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
onetriphudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_9C1 View Post
Has anyone tried using a small anchor tied to one end to keep the kayak straight while landing in the surf? Seems like it would help but might get the wave to wash over the anchor end.

What kind of kayak do you have and what beach are you trying to land on?
Old 08-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I paddle in backwards to

It's fun to play in the waves and get pushed backwards just stay straight purpendicler to the surf
Old 08-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
radastaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
You actually don't want your kayak to stay straight (perpendicular to the waves) in the surf zone on a landing. Launching you do though. After you catch a wave in, you want to go right away to one side or the other then brace to that side. Then you ride the one small wave in, sideslipping to avoid digging the rail. The anchor might just hold you in the impact zone, just long enough for that set wave to find you. Catch the smallest wave you can and brace. If that wave passes you, you need to sprint in to avoid lingering in the impact zone.
When all goes well,
with some swell,

wait for the lull perpendicular to shore,
power in straight just behind a small wave,
being careful not to pearl over it
and hop out at waist/knee deep.

Don't forget to grab yak handle

Too many things can go wrong riding in
but its funner for sure.

Haven't tried the backwards thing yet.
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
Mr_Fixit

Quote:

After my first couple times, I had the same idea. However after gaining some experience, I learned to time my landing. I wait for the last wave of a set to pass then I haul ass and follow it in. Typically a small wave catches me, but by that time, I have good speed and it presents no problem. I am soon on the beach dragging my yak onto the sand.

I suggest you sit back and watch the sets. Get used to the timing of them and the distance between the last wave of the previous set and the first wave of the next. Once you nail that down, you are ready to go.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:

I say try it and let us know how it goes. I find there is a time and plac for all of the methods described here but it depends on what you are paddling /peddling and the conditions on that day. I remember when coming in backwards was groundbreaking.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
Croaker Dave

What the other guys said, plus, "no" to any lines out in the surf zone. Getting part of your body tangled in a line with the force of a wave-driven kayak behind it is not a place anyone should go
Croaker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #13
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker Dave View Post
What the other guys said, plus, "no" to any lines out in the surf zone. Getting part of your body tangled in a line with the force of a wave-driven kayak behind it is not a place anyone should go
This is precisely the image that popped into my head as I was considering this option. I also thought of a sea anchor kind of a deal, which would provide more directional flexibility, but same fundamental problem.

Yeah, anchor line wrapped around your neck with your kayak pulling hard... way ugly indeed!
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
goletaslim
Junior

I usually just stand up and surf my kayak in. Try that.
goletaslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
HobieOneCanoebe

https://youtu.be/R_HANDqKu2Q

This video is what I watched to get better at landing in surf. Skip to 1:30 if you don't want to hear the first part of it.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
HobieOneCanoebe

https://youtu.be/R_HANDqKu2Q

Heres a video of me launching and landing
Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #17
Dark_Knight_9C1

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I paddle a 13 foot two person kayak (I think it was bought at Costco years ago). I sit in the back for better control.
I have never tried to land in the surf and happened to start thinking about it when I landed in Newport by the Coast Guard station and there was little ankle slappers on the beach. I lost my land legs and when I get out of the kayak stumble miserably for a few seconds and then grabbed for my kayak. It is already turned sideways parallel to the waves and washing back and forth as the waves lap up. I couldn't even imagine trying to do this in 2 or 3 foot waves.

I am an engineer so I started thinking of what would simplify the process. Something to keep the kayak straight so it doesn't tip over and in one place while I get my land legs was first on my mind.

I will definitely need to just go to the beach and practice in order to get the confidence to take my yak full of gear out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Dark_Knight_9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #18
radastaff

stretch before you attempt landing
I always do
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I paddle a 13 foot two person kayak (I think it was bought at Costco years ago). I sit in the back for better control.
I have never tried to land in the surf and happened to start thinking about it when I landed in Newport by the Coast Guard station and there was little ankle slappers on the beach. I lost my land legs and when I get out of the kayak stumble miserably for a few seconds and then grabbed for my kayak. It is already turned sideways parallel to the waves and washing back and forth as the waves lap up. I couldn't even imagine trying to do this in 2 or 3 foot waves.

I am an engineer so I started thinking of what would simplify the process. Something to keep the kayak straight so it doesn't tip over and in one place while I get my land legs was first on my mind.

I will definitely need to just go to the beach and practice in order to get the confidence to take my yak full of gear out.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
you sound like me, I had both my knees replaced in the last couple of years and it takes me awhile to get my feet under me. I have the same problem at the coast guard beach but it is getting better. It's what keeps me away from La Jolla
Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #20
taggermike

Surf launching and landing is like most other skills; time n practice equal skill. Spend some time in the surf with no Fishing gear getting the feel for what your yak will do. Practice the bracing in Jim Sammons video. Crashing or wiping out isn't the end of the world so go for it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote