Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
taggermike

bay fishing braid question

Hey Guys, I just spooled up some reels with braided line for spottie fishing in the south bay. The line I have is 20lb in the moss green color. It's not as obvious as the white Power Pro I use for backing in LJ but it's more visable than I'd like. What's your opinions on using mono or fluoro leader Vs. just straite tieing the braid to the hook? Thanks, Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
JoeBeck

I like to use a leader myself. I too use 20lb moss green on my bay setups. The leader gives you a bit of stretch also nice when getting a fish next to the boat to be able to grab the leader instead of the braid. I mostly target halibut and bass in the bay.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Gino

I Tried used 20lb spiderwire for Spotted bay bass. Id tie it right to the lure, and I had only caught 1 bass with it.

I went back to the 4+ foot 10lb mono leader and caught more spotted bay bass than i could count.

These are my results for night fishing. I was suprised it made a huge differance when it came to using a leader or not.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

I only like to tie straight to it for spinner baits in daylight. Night fishing I like it for plastics.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
chefchatten

IMHO You def need a leader when bass fishing...braided line looks like rope to the fish. Mono or fluoro

I have always had a hard time casting braided line on a bait caster but love it on a spinning reel.
chefchatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
robmandel

I don't recommend spectra for bass fishing like that. I do alot of fishing in newport and there's really no need for spectra like kelp. also, alot of the fishing you need the stretch (swimmies, crank baits, spinners, etc) of mono and I think it casts better in casting reels. it does this for no other reason than most small baitcasters don't have a synched levelwind and the spectra will end up getting crossed up and over itself, and will end up in a na-a-a-a-asty birds nest.

I fish straight spectra with a short top shot on in the kelp with the jig baits, and other slow plastics like zoom flukes. but alot of the strikes come on the sink and you're in free spool and can give a few feet of line to run off before you set the hook. and there I need the spectra as I toss it literally right into the middle of the kelp and let it work down. also use it on topwater suff like slugs and weedless jig rigged swimbaits (pour my own jigs and use heavy weedguard) which I skip across the top.

not everyone will agree with my sentiment on spectra here. but if you do go with it, use a softer, slower action rod. (by the way, i used to, that's used to, use spectra on my offshore swimbait rod until I kept missing hooksets) i'd basically say as a rule spectra for two things: a) kelp w/short topshot and b) backing with 50yds topshot.
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I don't do a lot of bay fishing but I prefer lightweight spectra on my small spool reels because it does not have the memory that mono does. Maybe I have just been using the wrong brand of mono but whenever I have tried it on small reels, the line comes off all curled up in ringlets making casting very difficult. I agree that a leader is important but if you plan to cast, it cannot be too long.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote