Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Dunegoat

WTB Kayak

I think I've narrowed the field down to either an OK Prowler 13 or 15, or WS Tarpon 14 or 16.

I've been looking on craigslist in OC, LA and SD and plan on visiting a couple shops this weekend but thought I'd check to see if anyone on here had one that they were looking to sell.

Let me know. Thanks,

Randy
Dunegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
robertkim425
Junior

Just out of curiosity, why not a Malibu? I'm new to kayaking and i'm considering a Malibu Xfactor. ( I've only tried the cobra FnD and X-Factor so far. )
robertkim425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkim425 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why not a Malibu? I'm new to kayaking and i'm considering a Malibu Xfactor. ( I've only tried the cobra FnD and X-Factor so far. )
I guess because the Malibu's, to me, don't seem like a yak that I'll be happy with for years. I bought a nice FnD a couple weeks ago and went out on it 4 times (and had a great time fishing from it) but it wasn't "the one" for me so I sold it a couple days ago. The Malibu's seem fine, but for reasons I can't explain, I just see the Malibu's as another entry level yak that I'll want to upgrade out of in a season or less. I just want to skip to one that I'll be happy with for at least a couple-few seasons.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
ChefT

Get a hobie.... well worth it...
ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #5
zubifish
zubifish

Kayak

I have a Hobie for sale in the San Fernando Valley if interested!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...441304340.html
zubifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubifish View Post

saw this add and it seems like a fair deal considering that it is only a few months old.
may in inquire why you decided to sell?
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefT View Post
Get a hobie.... well worth it...
I dunno. First, they're expensive. Second, they seem like they're kinda heavy on land and with the mirage drive, I loose a lot of deck space. Also, I really enjoy the paddling. I like the exercise and my legs are strong enough from running daily. I might end up changing my mind one day but for now, I'm leaning toward the Tarpon or Prowler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubifish View Post

That's a bit out of my price range. But good lookin' out. Sorry about the knee's. That sucks. GLWTS though
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagyak View Post
saw this add and it seems like a fair deal considering that it is only a few months old.
may in inquire why you decided to sell?
The CL add says
Quote:
I've used it twice in fresh water bad knees forces the sale!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunegoat View Post
I dunno. First, they're expensive. Second, they seem like they're kinda heavy on land and with the mirage drive, I loose a lot of deck space. Also, I really enjoy the paddling. I like the exercise and my legs are strong enough from running daily. I might end up changing my mind one day but for now, I'm leaning toward the Tarpon or Prowler.

That's a bit out of my price range. But good lookin' out. Sorry about the knee's. That sucks. GLWTS though
Wish I could afford it . Very fair price considering the price of a new one...+tax
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
pchen911

A P15 got listed on CL today.

About as good of a deal as I have ever seen.

Prowler 15, two flush mount rod holders, one adjustable rod holder, garmin ff(connection prob, but wrks), battery,anchor, paddle, paddle leash, $400 obo

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/2444972111.html
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
Dunegoat

Thanks man. But I found a deal on a Tarpon 16 that I'm pretty sure I'm picking up today. I just have to take my truck into the shop this afternoon and pray that the cause of my oil leak isn't my rear main seal isn't going out. If it's anything other than that, I'll have no problem swinging the coin to pick it up. Crossing my fingers that by this time tomorrow I'll be in Dana Pt launching from Baby Beach in it.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
Dunegoat

Just got home with my new-to-me Tarpon 16. Taking it out of Dana tomorrow morning to break her in. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions and referrals guys.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
Dunegoat

I do have a question though. I'm going to need some sort of carrying system for this kayak. It sticks out of the bed of my Sierra about 7 feet. What types of system/rack are guys using on pickups?

Thanks,

Randy
Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
pchen911

I use a regular ladder rack... I don't like it though, because it adds a couple hundred pounds of steel to my truck. Am also looking for a better system.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunegoat View Post
Just got home with my new-to-me Tarpon 16. Taking it out of Dana tomorrow morning to break her in. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions and referrals guys.
Good luck with your "new" T16.
I just picked up my "new" Pro Explorer a couple days ago (can't wait to take her out for her maiden voyage!
Trying to schedule some time to take surf launch/landing lessons from somebody so I can try to minimize the amount of yard sales I hold.

Since I live just "over the hill" from Ventura/Oxnard I just may get some practice out @ Malibu when I see a window of opportunity.

FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
dick fabulous

Thanks Dunegoat, a white sea bass will finish breaking that yak in ! Consult Andy at OEX Sunset for racking solutions. Really cool guy and great prices. Don't stop short - you got a Fabulous boat.
dick fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #17
dick fabulous

Oh yeah, post some fishing pics. Enjoy !
Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
Dunegoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick fabulous View Post
Thanks Dunegoat, a white sea bass will finish breaking that yak in ! Consult Andy at OEX Sunset for racking solutions. Really cool guy and great prices. Don't stop short - you got a Fabulous boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick fabulous View Post
Oh yeah, post some fishing pics. Enjoy !

No WSB for me today. We caught some lizard fish and mackerel and used them for bait but did't get any flatties. We each caught a few cuda and half a dozen or so calico's and a couple sand bass. No trophies but I couldn't have had a much better time. After 8 hours on the water on that kayak today I can honestly say I couldn't be happier. You took great care of it and I appreciate that almost as much as I appreciate the deal you gave me. I just washed it down and I'm going to wire up the bait tank this evening. My buddy had the camera but we only took a couple pics. When he emails them to me I'll post em in a thread.

I'll give Andy a call and see what he's got. What I did today was get a 15' long 2x6 and lay the kayak on that to prevent any unnecessary stress on the hull and strapped it down and it worked ok. But I need to get a real rack or bed extender or something.

Thanks again Wade.

Randy
Old 06-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
dick fabulous

Really cool Dunegoat ! Can't wait to see the pics. More murdered out stuff gettin ready to drop on the market soon ! Thanks again and go break it in at LJ w/sum vids !