Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
Mahigeer

Catalina Mole 12/19/2016. Long w/pic. How else?

It was time to wet a line in Catalina again. Having spent nearly $100.00 to go on a Sportfishing boat to the island for about (give or take) three hours of fishing, I had to make up for it.
When I take the Catalina Express, I can spend about 11 hours of fishing for less cost.

I chose weekday to avoid the crowds, even though due to weather and season, I did not expect many anglers on the weekend.

Monday, December 19, 2016

1-The sun was rising as we were crossing the smooth channel on the Catalina Express Catamaran departing from Long Beach Terminal at 6:00 AM.

By 8:00 AM having my “camp” setup at the north corner, I was casting into the clear blue, yet somewhat choppy Pacific Ocean.

2-I setup one rod with the improved Cast-A-Bubble rig and started casting. The turbo rattler is sealed to keep water out and as it turns during the retrieve causing the BBs to make noise. Unfortunately I lost two of them during this trip.

As soon as the rig hit the water after my first cast and the retrieve began making the bubble splash, I had a chase (boil) after the feather dressed hook.
The lure was hit and missed about four times consequently, making my heart skip some beats. Eventually I had to retrieve the rig from the water and cast again.

Later during the day I noticed that the bonito hits the feather in right angle rather than chase it.
Thus, frequent misses the first time. Either the same fish turns, or another one in the school behind it will hit the feather.

3-The second cast was rewarded by an almost immediate hookup of a nice bonito.

Notice the more than usual vertical black lines. Any idea what causes that?

4-The small craft wind advisory flag was up from the previous days, and as it is seen here the wind sock indicates some wind which made the casting a bit difficult.

I setup a 3’ rod with a rig consisted of one hook and a sinker. Bait was cut, raw market shrimp.

5-My first catch with bait was a halfmoon which is also known as Catalina blue perch (incorrectly I would say).

The first item on my agenda once I arrive on the Mole is to patrol the area and collect trash. There are also discarded lines and misc. fishing tackle left by inconsiderate anglers/visitors, and even locals.

6-Here is a small sample:

7-For the most part, I had the pier to myself. Some locals and visitors would come to fish, but would not stay very long.

8-Sea lion/s would be hanging around pier for the entire trip.

9-Another bonito that was landed after a speed race with a sea lion.

10-The City of Avalon was decorated for Xmas with lots of lights.

As it got dark, I checked in to the Hermosa Hotel and rested for about three hours before heading out for some hoop netting for lobster. No bugs this time.

I hit the bed at around 1:30 AM.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

11-After a somewhat good sleep overnight, I had breakfast at my favorite place which has interesting décor.

After Checking out of the hotel, I headed to the Mole where I stayed until departure at 7:30 PM that night.

12-The Catalina Island Museum looked ready to accept visitors.

It is located right next door to the Hermosa Hotel.

13-They are also building some very nice play areas for the kids.

Once at the Mole, again I setup the same setups as the day before. Bait fishing with dropper loop and single hook and improved Cast-A-Bubble rig.

14-The first cast of the day with the improved Cast-A-Bubble enticed a bonito which was landed. What fun.

15-A @#$$%^&**&$ sea lion.

After hooking a bonito and fighting it for a while and gaining line, there was a sudden stop to my reeling. I knew I had a sea lion on the other end. As the reel drag was screaming in agony, I could see the thief in the distance with a fish in its mouth.
For a fleeing moment it felt like the sea lion had dropped the fish and I was able to reel back. However, it did not last long and the line started to peel again. The !!@#$%^^##%^&* sea lion eventually spooled me and I had to cut my line. About $40.00 worth of braid line and rig gone.
May it chock on it.

16-Some other fish that were caught as well as some blacksmiths and short sheepheads.

Garibaldi and calico bass were not photographed to insure quick release.

17-The warning flag was replaced with the usual flags and the old wind sock was also replaced.

18-There were not too many boats at the island moored this time. Looking at the distance on the hills, you will see a clock tower and to the left of that is a flat roof house.

Side note: There is a local story which I may have posted before, but here it is again.

19-A close up of the said buildings.

The house belonged to the famous western novel writer and an avid angler Zane Gray. He and Mr. Wrigley of the chewing gum fame would have parties all the time. Mrs. Wrigley to annoy her husband and his host, commissions the building of a clock tower not far from the “frat” house.
Thus, every 15 minutes or so the loud clacking of the clock bell would disrupt the peace of occupants of the Gray house.
Sound proofing not being what is today, I am sure it was a loud notice to Mr. Wriggly to come home!

20-Zane Gray also was instrumental in establishing the Tuna Club on Avalon.

21-After I finished packing and it got dark, I kept fishing using shrimp as bait and was catching fish.

22-The weather was so clear that the lights from the mainland could be seen on the island.

23-This is usually a sad sight for me. The Catalina Express boat to take me home to reality. Yack

I was home by 10:30 PM and in bed falling sleep thinking about the outing.
It was fun for the most part.

The End.

P.S. The pictures on this report were loaded through patience and generosity of Mr. ecastro, by letting me use his photo posting website. Much appreciated.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Saba Slayer

Nice quiet trip

It looks like you had a nice quiet trip.
As usual another great write up.
Thanks

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
taggermike

Looks like a geat trip. And the cash spent to time spent fishing is a value. That feather n bubble bonito fishing is fun stuff. Kinda surprised the bonies didn't attack the turbo spinners. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
MrPukaShell

Great report might just have to try this trip some day. It has been a long time since I made the trip to Catalina. Thanks for taking the time to share.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
Mahigeer

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Great report might just have to try this trip some day. It has been a long time since I made the trip to Catalina. Thanks for taking the time to share.
You can go for free on your Birthday.

Check the information on Catalina Express.com, BD promotion.

Let me know if you have questions.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
toby

re

another great report with pics!
'

Merry Christmas
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #7
kayakfisherman

Wow, that's was an adventure!! Thanks for sharing.
kayakfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
Mahigeer

Thanks guys.