Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
StumpFisher

Advice on choosing a new kayak

Hi guys I wanted some advice. I am currently looking into getting a pedal yak. My first choice would actually be to get a pro angler 12. I love the stability and the fact that I almost always will have one of my 3 boys with me, I can put a chair in the back and we would be ready to rock. The 14 feels too big for me and we often times like to get into tight areas in the harbors. The problem is I’m worried about car topping it. I have a Hyundai Santa Fe and just worried how hard it might be and a trailer isn’t an option for me right now. I’ve seen some of the things like rhino t rack and similar inventions made by folks on this site but still concerned. Any thoughts? My next option would be the compass in seeing it’s fairly light weight. My question is for anyone that’s used it if there is enough room for a child passenger. There looks like there is still plenty of room in the back and even a small area in the front where the mesh is for a smaller child (I only take one boy at a time just looking at all options).

Thanks for any advice!!
StumpFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
King Saba

Perhaps the new outback then? I think you'd be okay car topping a PA on your car provided that you use kayak saddles to evenly distribute the weight. I've seen photos of people doing the same with PAs and their Sedans.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
StumpFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Perhaps the new outback then? I think you'd be okay car topping a PA on your car provided that you use kayak saddles to evenly distribute the weight. I've seen photos of people doing the same with PAs and their Sedans.
Thank you! I’ve looked at the outbacks and they do look nice but they seem to sit quite low in the water especially in the stern which worries me if I had one of my boys with me.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
goldenglory18

If you're dead set on having the ability to bring your kid with you, I think the PA is about your only option. It's not really designed for it, but the boat is so buoyant I think you would be ok until hes a teenager. What kind of rack do you have on your Santa Fe? Anything rail based (I hate window/frame mounted) should be fine with proper rigging.

Also, the 12 is liftable, but its going to be a bear after a long day on the water or on a breezy day. Just make sure you are 100% confident in your lifting technique and practice before going out solo.

No joke, for anyone that is considering car topping their fishing kayaks, I STRONGLY encourage you to take an entry level olympic lifting class. If you can learn how to comfortably snatch and clean/jerk, you can car-top a moderately heavy (anything other than a PA14) kayak....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQp2sldyts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw0YyyJ8Tgw
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Dingokevin

Have a PA 12 my wife love to sit in the tank well with my dogs 2 dachshunds. We do the bays and LJ by the cliffs handles fine.
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
kevbeer

dingo what size people are you out of curiosity?

what is the weight of PA 12 stripped down (i.e. drive train and whatever else comes off for transport)? 80 lbs?
kevbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
drunkentiger765
Junior

Going to hijack your thread

Considering either a Trident 13 or a Kraken 13.5. Coming from a old Tarpon 160, willing to give up a few feet to make it a bit more manageable. So really cant lose in comparison to my current yak.

I think overall I dig the Trident layout more, the new mod pod looks great, its a little bit narrower which I like, and like the hatch and track places a tiny bit more than the kraken.

The Trident seat will be an upgrade from the softies i use, but it does look like the kraken seat is really the defining feature and most kayaks seem to be going to the raised chair style.

Anyone got any input on if the chair style is totally the best thing ever and worth picking it over the similar style kayak, but with a more traditional seat style?
drunkentiger765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:43 AM   #8
MrPukaShell

Getting it on your vehicle is easier than you think. I get my kayak on top of my RAM with a camper shell on it. First I put the kayak on the ground with the nose a couple of feet past the back of the truck on the side I am loading. Then I hook a road from the back of the kayak to the hitch on the truck so it doesn't slide back when I lift the front. I then get by the front of the kayak and lift it up and put it on the back of the rack. I then go to the back of the kayak lift it up, unhook the rope and slide it up on the rack. I have Rollers on the back and saddles on the front. At no time am I lifting the whole kayak by myself. Something that works for me and it will be easier on a lower vehicle. Good luck
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:07 AM   #9
Mahigeer

If you get a Hobie inflatable one, the loading problem is no longer an issue.

I spent about $1200.00 on Thule Helevator, and still not easy to do.

Depending on your age, health condition loading can become an issue.

Not everyone is able to lift heavy weights especially after a day of fishing.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
Semper Fi-shing

Have you thought about an inflatable i14tandem? I'm pretty sure u can fit it in your trunk and inflate and deflate as necessary. Might be able to carry 2 kids if they are small enough.....1 on your lap and 1 in the front
Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
Ddwineguy

You may want to demo a Hobie Compass Duo. I fish off a regular compass and love it.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-compass-duo/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #12
yemff

For anyone looking for a rack extension, 1 left

https://www.artscyclery.com/Thule_84...age-TH847.html
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #13
Saba Slayer

DEMO...

...It's one thing to listen to all these knuckle heads on what is best for you...some of which have never paddled or peddled the kayaks they are referring too...and another when you actually get in a yak....please go to OEX and try the different kayaks they have available..."kayaks are like shoes"..."not one size fits all"...see what works best for you and your style of fishing and your budget...go see Andy or Brent at OEX and let them help you make the right decision...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #14
StumpFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
...It's one thing to listen to all these knuckle heads on what is best for you...some of which have never paddled or peddled the kayaks they are referring too...and another when you actually get in a yak....please go to OEX and try the different kayaks they have available..."kayaks are like shoes"..."not one size fits all"...see what works best for you and your style of fishing and your budget...go see Andy or Brent at OEX and let them help you make the right decision...!
Thank you all so much. I have determined that I reall do need to try one out and have one of th kids with me. I do appreciate all the advice. I hadn’t thought about the compass duo which may be a good option!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:06 AM   #15
Hunters Pa

Kids grow fast, plan for it. Maybe a tandem in your future? One that could be used solo as well.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #16
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Kids grow fast, plan for it. Maybe a tandem in your future? One that could be used solo as well.
If you get a tandem, make sure its a convertible.

They're called Divorce Boats for a reason....
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #17
Flounder

I put my girl in the back of my pa12 and we take it sailing/yaking in the bay no issues. Bought the costco chair that fits in the back. She is 5'7 about 140 so unless your kid is bigger you will be fine.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #18
jorluivil

The best advice is to test ride a few kayaks before you drop your hard earned money on any kayak.

Take a drive over to OEX and test ride a few kayaks, once you make your choice I'm sure Andy will take care of you. As far as the PA goes the difference in weight between the 12 and 14 is only 15lbs, that alone should convince you to get the 14. Also, you mentioned getting into tight places in the harbor, unless the area you're trying to fish is less than 36 inches wide there is no reason to not get the 14 which is 2 inches wider.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #19
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Lots of experts here

Be your own captain!

Figure it out.

That Andy guy, he's legit.

Doing the Happy Paddle with my Kiddo!!

Last edited by katchfish; 10-18-2018 at 08:29 PM.
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #20
randman
Banned

an interesting question. I too was looking for it
randman is offline   Reply With Quote