Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Irishman

Mako 1...Irishman 0

Today was epic in so many ways.....
Long story short the shark was a little to large for me to feel comfortable in gaffing and dealing with. It was released as close as I could get to the end of the fluoro.
Launched at 6:45 with Kevin, there's a weird mojo happening that he is along when I hook into something big.
it was 31 degrees when I left La Mesa, balmy 42 at the launch in the dark. Paddled with the offshore winds pushing us, made so so Spanish for bait as the game plan was to do 45 mins of bait fishing and then drop to the bottom. We had frozen squid and yo yo rigs ready. The winds died about 10am and then the weather turned epic. Stripped off the layers to fish in board shorts and t-shirt. The conditions were amazing. We paddled to the south end of the NW corner after using all our bait. In about an hour made two nice greenies. I says to Kevin, let's paddle out to where I caught the sea bass earlier this year....on the way I stopped paddling and say I'm checking my knots as I had retied about 15 mins earlier, full re-rig, fluoro to braid, three way swivel, 4oz sinker, 4/0 ringed hook. I was happy with the day and the conditions.
I drop down one of my two greenies, then decide to add a thawed squid to my salas yo yo rig.....zzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..zzzzzzzzz
Kevin's shouting your on, I'm furiously cranking the yo yo rig to get the line out of the water, more so thinking I don't want a tangle if I have a nice yellow. Stow my rod and turn to my trusty penn senator 3/0.
I was not expecting what I saw next, I had engaged the reel, clicker off and then over my right shoulder saw what I had only seen in fishing shows on tv, it was a mako in the air, contorted but beautiful. I honestly expected that once it made contact with the water the game would be over....WRONG
I got the pleasure of 1, 2, 3, 4 long runs..I buttoned down the drag and sleigh ride commences..again thinking at any moment the jaws would close and fluoro go pop. That did not happen and then I'm thinking, maybe I can land this. Buttoned down further and get the fish to color....pucker once, pucker twice...
Zzzzzzzz again...now Kevin has caught up with me and is asking what the story is? The shark took off again and I ask Kevin do you have your camera? I'm feeling confident the hook set is holding and we can at least get some photos.
The fourth or fifth time it swam back towards my kayak and I'm now getting a real feel for its size common sense sinks in....I've never landed one on a kayak and it's still way to fresh to horse in. I was hoping for a bite from the shark to sever the line but I guess the big 4/0 hook was placed just right.
By now Kevin has his kayak parallel to mine, I wanted him to get a look at it also...I bring it back up again and get the fluoro on the reel...then it goes nuts, goes under my kayak straight to the bow of his and bites...at this stage I'm thinking all appendages are accounted for, quit while ahead...I grab my dykes and cut the line..first time I have ever cut a fish off, but in the interest of safety the best choice.
We laughed at the experience and I would have done differently if in a boat. My estimated size was 4' and about 50lbs. It was thicker and longer than the 51lb white sea bass I caught earlier this year. Bummed no on the water shots but we did take a photo of the bite Kevin's yak received.
Could not have asked for a better way to end the year
Attached Images

Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
momo fish

Wow! Would of done the same
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #3
FISH11

They are absolutely beautiful and dangerous. Last year I had a similar experience and had my camera ready when I got it up close, it started going nuts, but instinctively I pulled up on the Fishing Pole and kept his front slightly out of the water. It took away his leverage and allowed me to take 3 quick pictures of it two feet from the side of my X Factor. When I reached for the leader it broke loose and slowly swam away. The best picture is now my avatar. The memory I will never forget, is those crazy teeth up that close. It just adds to the wonderful La Jolla experience.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
I'm not trying to berate you or anything remotely resembling, so please don't take this question wrong or out of context.
After reading many other reports like this, catching a shark as a by catch or targeted always seems to be a possibility...doesn't anyone own/have/use a Dehooking appliance? In preparing for my offshore Kayak fishing I bought an 34" ARC Dehooker just in case (just the right length to keep them toothy critters at a safe distance ). I have a number of types for Fly Fishing Trout & jigging Bass and have had good success with them (not to mention all the hooks I've saved). They are a small enough profile that they don't take up any space and if you're out trying for a trifecta during the restricted fish season you can release a fish at length safely releasing fish without having to bring it aboard or handling and then continue to fish for and 'Butts if your so inclined.
The only reason I ask now is that so many members here practice C&R () and having read so many reports over the years then with the new year upon us with the , and "Butt season just around the corner (or just continuing for those who still continually a couple times a week ) I though this would be a good time to ask.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
taggermike

Using a de-hooker on most fish or out of a boat is fine, but a mako shark next to a kayak is not the time or place. And 34" can still be to close to a mako's head. They are so much faster than you think and since their teeth stick side ways out of their mouths they don't have to bite you, just brush against you, to tear you up. I tried to be a nice guy years ago and cut a thresher off with the minimum amount of line attached to the hook. Shark saw the pliers coming toward his head, pivetted on a dime, kicked it's tail over the side of the yak, and gave me a slap that left a welt through a 3 mm wet suit. Happened in an eye blink. Could have gotten me in the face or neck. In the same situation a mako could very well have ended up in my lap, or face/neck. Put your safety first. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Irishman

I practice C&R as much as possible, in this case there was absolutely no way I was risking having anything to do with this fish. I did my best at getting as close to the hook as possible. I have to admit seeing it rush at Kevins yak, bite the bow and leave those marks was enough to make me very quickly decide on what to do. I agree with the previous post that even at 34" its still way to close. From a boat there is more protection and a buddy to assist. At water level and dealing with a Mako no thank you.
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Great story. Smart move cutting the line. Glad you got to go on a sleigh ride in December.

As far as the de-hooker, as was stated earlier, on a boat sure, but on a kayak, I wouldn't leave anything to chance, knowing the possible outcomes. Cut the line, and let the hook rust out, just my opinion.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Dannowar

Mako is the best tasting fish on earth. You my friend, messed up big time
Old 12-29-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
Cbad Mike

Nice report.
A decision made in the name of safety is never wrong.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Deamon

Awesome experience and story. There are a few of us yakkers in La Mesa, all good looking. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
jorluivil

I have bigger scrapes on the bottom of my kayak from the boat launch at Cabrillo........just saying

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Yeah, he was a feisty little guy, surprised the hell out of me when he did some acrobatics in the air.

Can't believe a whale that big came that close in! Huge school of dolphins, and I seemed to catch everything but mackerel on the sibiki. Couple small calicos, copper rocky, white fish, about 25 of those perch, and finally a few Spanish, and a couple greenies later on.

I only heard of 1 yt landed around 9 am. I broke off near the lobster pots twice, and the last rig was only 20lb mono halibut rig busted clean.

We threw the yoyo all day for nada. Still a nice day on the water.

Good fishing with you again Allen. Happy New Year guys!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #13
captnblood34

Great report. I'll continue to believe it was a 10' + like your story led me to believe until the end... don't take that away from me.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
eDUBz

Cool report dude.