Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
medina760

Live squid

Does anyone have any advice on where to find squid or how to find it? And also what to use to catch it?
medina760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
PapaDave

Depends on where you fish. You can catch them on a sabili or a squid jig/gannion.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
MrM

I've wondered this myself... Having never targeted them, I have never caught one. (I wouldn't know the first thing to look for/do)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
medina760

Well I wanna try and catch some in la jolla. But I never fished for them so I have no idea what to do.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
SABA

http://www.squid-jigs.com/hot-2/flas...e-battery.html

Watch for comercial squid boats fishing the area they have a lot of lights. It helps to get under their lights and use the jigs in a up and down way a few feet off the bottom. The light boat goes in first they light up and ball up the squid. The purse seiner
will come in and will be dead in the water. A Big skiff will pull the purse seine net of the deck (stay out of their way and out of the net). But by that time you should have some live bait. Or you can paddel up to them and just ask for some Squid do not live long if crowded or ink and fowl their water.
If you lived in Los Angels go north to county line of LA and Ventura thats were the squid are here. Santa Barbara the white sea bass and squid area at Napels beach north of SB

Cheers
SABA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

glow stick and a squid jig and prob the bottom. bounce it high.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
thefisher

If you have a fish finder, just off the bottom youll see a haze. Whenever I see that, I'll drop it down till it hits the floor and bring it right back up.
thefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
steveooo

Forget all the lights and stuff. Most guys here use a ganion type squid jig like his one:

http://www.candycatchers.com/pages/C...tchers4x4.html

When you can make squid at La Jolla, it typically in the traditional cove, straight out from the launch, caught jigging the ganion on the bottom in anywhere from 75-120 feet. Make sure you know where the reserve boundaries.

Squid is not here every year, and it is not always available. The last few years have been pretty good though.

As mentioned before, you will probably see a slight fuzz on the bottom on your fish finder. Other keys to whether there is squid in the area are massive crowds during the winter months on randomly odd days, when the board goes quiet for a couple weeks, or if you are paddling out at 7 am, and you pass guys paddling in with big fish already in their lap.

Good luck
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Forget all the lights and stuff. Most guys here use a ganion type squid jig like his one:

http://www.candycatchers.com/pages/C...tchers4x4.html

When you can make squid at La Jolla, it typically in the traditional cove, straight out from the launch, caught jigging the ganion on the bottom in anywhere from 75-120 feet. Make sure you know where the reserve boundaries.
seen a few boats fishing just outside the old buoys the last couple weeks. seems no ones there to enforce it. not saying its a good idea, just dont follow the crowds.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
medina760

Thx everyone for all the help... I really don't know how far is the reserve boundaries. How far out should I paddle?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
Vikingj

Quote:
Originally Posted by medina760 View Post
Does anyone have any advice on where to find squid or how to find it? And also what to use to catch it?
If the squid boats are out paddle over to one, offer him $10 and get a big scoop that will last you all day!
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote