Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Sumguy
Junior

What to buy?

Im considering buying a kayak but am not sure what kind would be best. Any suggestions...?

Also keep in mind im 6foot 2 and mostly legs.
Sumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
kareem korn

Have I got the kayak for you

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=5129
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

I'm 6'1, 210 and I love my X-Factor. Not the fastest ship in the fleet but very stable and can handle good size surf with no wArries! And you can store all your gear in it too.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
fishinkid2010

I am 6'2" and 170 lbs. My Hobie Revolution fits great. The peddles do not affect your leg room as much as you would think. But from the info you gave I'm not sure how much you want to spend; Hobies are pretty pricey. What is most important in your kayak?... deck space, stability, speed, price, size, weight, features? If you can narrow down what it is you are looking for in your kayak, you can considerably narrow down what type of kayak you want.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
dorado50

Yea, its kinda like "do I want whole milk or 2% lowfat milk on my cereal in the morning?", good luck with that decision.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
JD

X-factor is great, but slow. You won't find a more stable boat, great beginner or experienced angler boat.

I have a friend with an Scupper pro, it's a dart in the water, very fast but not the most stable boat out there. Many YT's have been caught from Scuppers, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Tarpon 160 is about the same, maybe a bit more stable than a scupper but just as fast. Good fishing paltform too.

Prowler / Tridents would be the first thing i looked at if i decided to replace my X-factor. I havent paddled one, but appears to be a nice hybird of all the best features od the 160 and the X-factor. Fast, stable and very customizeable.

Hobie, I can't speak on Hobies, I really dont know much about them other than they are kinda spendy. The look very sturdy and fast. If you find yourself fishing in windy conditions, you have a distinct advantage over all boats w/o mirage drive. Try to tie a knot and paddle at the same time, you'll know what i mean!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
wbrewski

I am 6'2" and 270 and feel very saft in my X-Factor. Go see Andy at Sunset beach and try one.
wbrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
herbo

Take your time and road(paddle)test all you can. Andy at OEX has quite a selection to test, don't be in a hurry.....H