Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 2-24-15 Yellowtail

After waiting for the rains and the high wind to go away, I finally made it out today. Got to the launch a little later than I wanted (in the water before 7am), but in no hurry. I met Tony "TJONES" at the launch (nice meeting you Tony). I thought that the wind was going to stay down till after lunch and would provably need to make a short day on it. As it turned out other than the swell which started just before launching. When I arrived the surf was like almost a lake , ankle slappers. By the time I was ready all of the sudden the intervals where close together and surf was 2-3'. It happened so fast, the wind was picking up some but then it slowed down as the day progressed. I turned out to be a great beautiful day on the water. Made bait and had like 7 greenies and 2 spanish. Trolled a Wax wing out to deeper water and once out past 120' started dragging a flylined greenie. after 1 1/2 hours and a couple of lost bait to some hits that didn't hook but killed the bait (crushed heads). I finally had a hit and the clicker started just running fast. This time I let it run for like another 7 seconds before pointing the pole towards the fish and engaging the reel. This time the circle hook did it's job and the deep runs started. after about 10 minutes I saw color and soon had it gaffed. After bleeding it out and it sitting inside my X Factor for the next 3 1/2 hours, it weighed 17.26 lbs at the launch on my Rapala digital scale. Off the water by 2:05 pm. Got it home and fillet and bagged it, just adding to the Yellowtail stock in the freezer. If I didn't have to work the rest of this week through Saturday I would be back out there Tomorrow.
Attached Images