Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #21
jscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post

They definitely seem to behave different in different places.
I agree. In malibu-- I don't believe I have ever had a bait stolen by a dog. I only pick up my stringer if I am keeping bass or rockfish....but I have never had even close to an incident with that either. I see them all the time-- usually frolicking in the kelp==> they actually look cute to me. (Because they never steal my bait!) The LJ ones are just UGLY! Definitely have been trained and no longer keep a safe distance away.
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 AM   #22
Handymansd
Ancient Member

This guy is a friend of a friend, you should check this out!

http://www.californiapaddle.com/

He is using an electrical field of some kind on his board that apparently deters the smaller predators, sharks, seals etc.,and other nuisances. When he finishes his Trek from Canada to the Mexican border I will ask him more about it. Something like that might work, a taser, cattle prod, or even an electrical field designed to dissuade seals, and other predators. I think it only works within a few feet of his board though...hmmm....

Anyone want to meet up and paddle with him through La Jolla?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 AM   #23
Jimm H

How about?

I heard somewhere that a small paper clip on the tail of the mac will not significantly limit its swim ability, but deter the dogs as they sense the metal somehow. I have noticed they don't ever take a bait with a stinger rigged in the tail. Haven't tried it yet, but it would be worth experimenting.

That would be a superior solution to a "stinger" hook.... you could handle your bait without sticking yourself.
Jimm H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #24
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H View Post
I heard somewhere that a small paper clip on the tail of the mac will not significantly limit its swim ability, but deter the dogs as they sense the metal somehow.
I think Nelz mentioned this trick in Hawaii for porpoise... I think they use echolocation to pick up the clip (I think )

Last year during the kelp loss, and everyone was catching nice WSB, besides me The dogs were in full force and people were loosing a lot of baits... After loosing 2 or 3 baits within minutes of eachother to "ol knothead." I took to the paperclip method... Confidently dropped my bait in the water with paperclip on the tail. LINE PEELING!!!! And it wasn't a WSB!!! Stupid DOG!!!

Chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #25
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H View Post
I heard somewhere that a small paper clip on the tail of the mac will not significantly limit its swim ability, but deter the dogs as they sense the metal somehow. I have noticed they don't ever take a bait with a stinger rigged in the tail. Haven't tried it yet, but it would be worth experimenting.

That would be a superior solution to a "stinger" hook.... you could handle your bait without sticking yourself.

I've caught them on the stinger.....unfortunately!!!