Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Flyak13

Lowrance elite 4 hdi temp gauge issues

So I'm having an issue with the temp reading . It's reading 10-20 degrees over actual temperature.... This is my second transducer on this unit and I happend to me once before... I thought the first time because I had left it out in the sun but made sure to take extra care of this one.... I have a warranty but just don't want to be stuck with out a ff for who knows how long. Has anyone else experiences this ? How'd you fix the problem and what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Thanks
Flyak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

What are you doing before it happens? Because if you're peeing through a scupper hole ahead of the transducer... Otherwise I think the problem is with your connection into your unit.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Flyak13

Lmao I'm definitely not peeing trough my scupper in front of my transducer.... So you think it could be corrosion or something in the connexrion?
Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

How is your transducer mounted, if it's directly in the water that's one set of possible culprits however if it's a wetmount in the hull that's a different set of possible causes. Battery capacity and charge prior to issue?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

10 to 20 above is perfectly normal in the hull on a hot summer day
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Flyak13

It's mounted externally on my X factor where the factory Lowrance mount bracket is located. Battery is always freshly charged and was think that was the problem because I'm now learning I should be running a 12 amp batter and I have an 8 amp. But it was working perfectly for 3 trips when I replaced it and the old one worked fine for a about 5 trips till I left it outside turned over to dry out one afternoon
Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #7
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

The amps won't cause issues besides change the length of time you can run it. This unit operates on a draw of .75 A so that only means an 8 amp battery will last a little over 10 hours whereas the 12 amp will last 16 hours. As long as you're running a 12 volt battery and it was charged prior to use then your connections are likely your culprit. Douse the connection points for the battery and FF with contact cleaner then apply dielectric grease, when you connect everything make sure it is nice and snug. Just my $0.02

Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
Flyak13

Thanks a bunch for your input and I'm definitely going to try that