Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Flyak13

805 pb sheeps

Fished the home turf FridaY. Lots of mackerel mostly greenies and few patches if Spanish . Fished outside for a couple hours looking for ghosts and butts for nada. Once the party boats started getting real close to me I moved into this really fishy spot i always kill it at . I was using a red winged lead head with a whole frozen squid, nailed this piggy of a sheepshead right when I dropped to the bottom. Ended up with a pair of 20 inch calicos and a few other rock fish. Then i noticed my balance was off... And then realized I was taking on water... So some how on the top side of my X factor right im under the seat I cracked my yak about 2 inches right next to the scupper. I was about a mile 1/2 from the launch and bee lined it in. Barellllly made it back water was less than half an inch from coming over the sides and any bit of movement turned into a huge balance issue. I'd apreciate any recomendations on how to fix this. It was bought from a 3rd party on clist so i doubt the warranty from malibu covers ... I saw some vids online using a plastic welder, hear gun and extra plastic to fix. Is this a good method ?
Thanks guys
Attached Images

Flyak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
bwana

I took mine to Andy at OEX in Sunset Beach last week and he fixed a crack on a structurally difficult spot. Tested it yesterday and no leaks.

You can do it yourself, but do you really want to risk another failure offshore to save a couple of bucks?

I went to someone who has experience and knew if it was repairable or not.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Hunters Pa

Hard to tell without a pic how easy a fix. I have successfully used a soldering iron to weld plastic. It's best if you have some trimmed material, from adding a flushmount or something, that you can melt and blend with the hull to build it up.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Flyak13

The crack
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
CaliHalikiller

Good.ol Malibu kayak stress crack lmk if oex can't my boy john at Malibu wil do it
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Hunters Pa

Doesn't look like it would be hard to weld, but with where it is I would lean towards having it professionally done since it will have a lot of water exposure and will be bearing weight. If you do it yourself I would augment the weld on top with a really thick layer of goop on the inside.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Flyak13

Thanks fellas, before I make a final decision I'm waiting to talk to the guys at malibu kayak to see what their recomendation is . Oex is a bit far of a drive for my self since I'm in woodland hills... Worst comes to worst I'll use some of the plastic from installing my ff to fill in with a plastic welder I guess. Bummed that this happened though this kayak was brand new and I bought with all the tags n everything just a few months ago ...
Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
CaliHalikiller

I'm in woodlandhills to who are you dealing with Samantha ? Let me know if can get it done with john directly cheaper and faster
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #9
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Yeah OEX SSB is quite a distance from you but Andy does "great" work! I've never had a crack as I'm relatively new to this Kayak Fishing but have heard nothing but good things about his work (He's the one who outfitted {TRICKED OUT} my Outback)!
Glad to hear you made it back safely with some nice fish (especially that sheepshead!)
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote