Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

New"ish" Guy Looking for a few answers / suggestions ! Thank You!!!

Hi all,

So I am fairly new to San Diego I moved here July of 2013, but then ended up in Michigan for 8 months. So I am fairly new to fishing in SoCal. I fish in LJ and all over Mission and SD Bays. I still haven't landed a YT from the kayak but I have managed to catch some nice spotties, and Halibut in the bays. I am looking to expand my fishing locations and I had a few questions.

I hear places like Cabrillo and the Sewer, and San Onofre but I am not sure where they are?
Is Cabrillo the National Monument at the end of Point Loma in SD? Do they have a launch there?

how about The Sewer ? is this Mission Bay ?

I am Guessing that San Onofre is the state park south of the power plant? Where do I launch there? Beach ?

Where can I find a place to fish for Rockfish ( i know they are closed currently) ?

Any good books magazine articles I can read to hone my skills?

Anyway, I am looking expand my fishing areas/ and expertise and I thought this would be a great place to come for answers or even some helpful suggestions. I greatly appreciate any help!!!

Cheers, Bernie
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
MrPatrick

Rule one: know where Tony and his video camera are at all times! 😄
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
TroutBum

San O.... drive to the end of the road, south of "Old Mans" Beach Launch.
TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Pretty sure that the both places are near LA. Two different cabriollo's and mission bay is not the sewer I believe. I do know san O is aka the power plant people fish there so there must be a launch somewhere around there.

Since you are near LJ, I would just stick there. You save on gas and its a great fishery. Even I can catch from time to time there. Just take some time snd dial it in. Once I was set on catching a yellow, I told myself no fishing the bays until I get a yellow on the yak.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #5
EastLosYaker

99% of all useful so cal kayak fishing info can be found here. Just search the old threads and you will find almost anything you need to know. The problem with other books/magazines is that much of the info is very general. Here you will find info specific to our waters. Like cadillyak said, stick to la jolla and sd/mission bays. We fish cabrillo/"the sewer" up here in LA mostly because it's close. Much of the time we're driving south to fish your home waters. Welcome to BWE. If your new to this like me, you're in the right place.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
Pretty sure that the both places are near LA. Two different cabriollo's and mission bay is not the sewer I believe. I do know san O is aka the power plant people fish there so there must be a launch somewhere around there.

Since you are near LJ, I would just stick there. You save on gas and its a great fishery. Even I can catch from time to time there. Just take some time snd dial it in. Once I was set on catching a yellow, I told myself no fishing the bays until I get a yellow on the yak.
What he said! We go down there to fish La Jolla. No point to drive up here unless you're visiting someone I guess. I bet you're glad to NOT be in Michigan right now, unless you like ice fishing walleye more! I'm from Ohio myself, welcome to SoCal!
Old 01-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Cabrillo (the sewer, and a long story) is in San Pedro Harbor. San O(nofre) is at the power plant. You park at the state beach for $15 and drive all the way to the end of the parking lot (along with all other paddle craft). Not a good place to launch without someone that knows the place as it is over a shallow reef. Check out Google Earth for rockfish spots. Any bumps on the bottom in over 100' are good places to start.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
jorluivil

Stay away from The Sewer, that place is just nasty and it holds nothing, parking rates are insane and when the winds start to blow you'd better hope you're at least 10' from the launch. The guys that fish that area are a bunch of weirdos and they'll make you buy them lunch just because.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #9
bubblehide

Bernie, I think everyone thus far missed the boat, so I'll do you the favor. Contact josh Pruitt, DarkHorse here on BWE, and book a guided tour of LJ. Lots of folks here will tell you that one day with him will cut the learning curve by years.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
Teambcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Stay away from The Sewer, that place is just nasty and it holds nothing, parking rates are insane and when the winds start to blow you'd better hope you're at least 10' from the launch. The guys that fish that area are a bunch of weirdos and they'll make you buy them lunch just because.
1 hot turkey pastrami please!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Wait Wait Wait... lemme get this straight. You fish La Jolla and want to fish other locations?

If you're sleeping with Scarlett Johanssen, do you suddenly want to start dating Steve Buscemi?

Put in your time at La Jolla and eventually you'll land a Yellow. Don't downgrade.

Besides, during the summer, La Jolla is more fun than the other locations - lots of "Scarlett Johanssens" to welcome you back to the beach.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Wait Wait Wait... lemme get this straight. You fish La Jolla and want to fish other locations?

If you're sleeping with Scarlett Johanssen, do you suddenly want to start dating Steve Buscemi?

Put in your time at La Jolla and eventually you'll land a Yellow. Don't downgrade.

Besides, during the summer, La Jolla is more fun than the other locations - lots of "Scarlett Johanssens" to welcome you back to the beach.
That comparison just made me grimace.......Oh Steve sure is not a looker but sure does play a good Mr. Pink!
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #13
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Quote:

HAHAHA, this made me laugh out loud. I was really trying to get an idea if I was missing the proverbial boat by not fishing anywhere else. I am pretty lucky that I can be at LJ in about 15 min, and Mission Bay in about 5. I agree with the fact that the learning curve is pretty steep, but I guess its all about putting your time in and finding out what works and what doesn't.
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
TJones

Sewer

Quote:
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:

Quote from the movie Perfect Stranger:

Ro: [on hearing Mr Hill is cheating on his wife] I don't get it. Mrs Hill is pretty. I mean, she's really pretty.
Gina: Show me a beautiful woman, I'll show you a man who's tired of f*#king her.

LJ is a really pretty place to fish but just because it is doesn't mean everyone is drooling to tap it, I know I'm not.

IMHO

Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
LJ is a really pretty place to fish but just because it is doesn't mean everyone is drooling to tap it, I know I'm not.
You're just bitter you live 2+ hours from La Jolla... he's 15 minutes away.

Don't try to talk him out of banging Scarlett Johanssen. You know you would be tapping that every day if you lived 15 minutes away from her.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
ericko

Of course he would drive 15 minutes to just hug Scallet....Do you remember his girl on the side Candy a thing of beauty
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #18
jorluivil

Question

Quote:
You're just bitter you live 2+ hours from La Jolla... he's 15 minutes away.

Don't try to talk him out of banging Scarlett Johanssen. You know you would be tapping that every day if you lived 15 minutes away from her.

HA!!!!

Bitter? I think not. You want to know how many times I fished there last year during that wide open bite? Let's just say that I went to a bar more times than I fished LJ and I dont even drink alcohol

In my opinion if he wants to fish other locations let him do it, it'll only make him a better fisherman.

By the way, Scarlett johansen has been married twice so obviosuly someone was tired of tapping it.