Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
5-20

H-Bar on an Outback

Any of you got a H-bar on an Outback? I'm thinking that it might be a nice asset on my '15 outback, just so I can stand up for a short time when needed, to stretch, for better casting ability when a school of fish pops up a short distance away, etx etx.

Again, it would basically for being able to stand up for very short times and making sure I have something to grab on to if the yak shifts for whatever reason and I lose my balance. Without the H-bar I think I would be really nervous about possibly becoming separated from the yak if I happened to lose my balance.

Just doing a bit of research right now, really. Any drawbacks to having one on the outback? Does it get in the way? I'm also wondering how compatible the h bar would be with the pair of rod holders and fish finder i have up front.

Thanks for any input/thoughts about this.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #2
Mr_Fixit

I have an outback. They are certainly stable, but I dont think they are stable enough to stand in even with an Hbar.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
Dingokevin

I stand in mine. You could add the hbar or the sidekicks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

I never had a problem standing in mine with no H bar. The tri hull makes it more stable than you would think. I used to practice standing by pushing the tipping limits. And I never flipped it. I think falling off is probably more likely. H bar would help.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
5-20

I can stand up in the outback, sure. That's not really why I made this post. It's more about standing up reasonably safely when I am out by myself and having the bar to grab onto if needed to help stabilize myself and prevent myself from possibly falling off the yak and becoming separated from the yak. That could happen in the blink of an eye and before you know it, the yak's out of reach and drifting away rapidly...

You know, a school of YT pops up, having the peace of mind of being able to grab onto the bar could help me make an extra hard cast that adds 10-15 extra yards of distance and make all of the difference between grabbing a fish or two and spooking the school.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #6
5-20

Hmm, I stopped by one of the yak shops I have near me to have those guys look at the rudder on my outback and I noticed they had a H-Bar in stock!

Those guys were nice enough to do a mock up for me and d-ohh... unfortunately, my yak has a couple of rod holders up front and we spent probably 15 minutes looking at all possible configurations and it ultimately became apparent that if I wanted a H-Bar on the yak, it'd come down to either the rod holders or the H-Bar.

Just my luck... I definitely want to keep those rod holders, and really, doing that saves me a pretty penny so that's probably a good thing.

I'll just save the crazy all-out customization for the solo-skiff...! j/k.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

How about H Bars and H Rail

Old 03-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
5-20

That does look pretty good. I'll keep that in mind. That's a bunch of extra accessories... and I've already got some other things for the yak in mind.

The main issue I see with that set up you have pictured is the rod holders would be between the mounts for the H-Bar and it might be difficult getting the rods out of the holders with it being located between each post. Just a lot of fumbling instead of quickly being able to grab the rod out of the holder clear and free.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 AM   #9
monstahfish

If you have a 2015 or newer with the larger deck area, standing is easy. I stand in mine up to 3 foot swell. It's the chop that gets you and never straighten your knees. Even if I were to fall, it's more likely the boat would stay upright and I would fall off the side. The h-bar is great if you are unsure, you can always leave it at home if you get comfortable without it.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote