Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
spudz

Recommended PFD's?

Time to get a new PFD. The Stohlquist I've had over the last few years needs to be replaced. It's done well, but before I replace it with another Stohlquist I'd like to know what others may prefer in comfort and function in their PFD. I know that comfort is individual, so I'll try before I buy. Would appreciate your recommendations!
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Dave Legacy

When I bought my kayak used it came with a two NPS Chinook PFDs that seemed like they had never been worn, so I kept them. It's the only non-rental PFD I have ever worn, but it's a nice vest and I never notice it. I don't really use any of the pockets and if I have one complaint it's that there's really no good place to clip my VHF radio. Aside from that it's a good choice.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
buddha

Ms Kokatat is the very best fit that i have ever owned.

http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/show....html?prod=828
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #4
jorluivil

The best PFD is the one you wear

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Rocketfish

I have been meaning to ask this question as it is sort of related. Are those really thin PFD's safe enough? they are the ones with the CO2 cartridge where you yank a string and it self inflates. It's a type IV I believe.

My concern is that it won't inflate automatically. Have any of you heard of kayak related accidents where one might not be able to yank the cord in time to let the PFD work? I'm probably too paranoid, but I LOVE the comfort of my thin PFD.
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
I have been meaning to ask this question as it is sort of related. Are those really thin PFD's safe enough? they are the ones with the CO2 cartridge where you yank a string and it self inflates. It's a type IV I believe.

My concern is that it won't inflate automatically. Have any of you heard of kayak related accidents where one might not be able to yank the cord in time to let the PFD work? I'm probably too paranoid, but I LOVE the comfort of my thin PFD.
I've seen them and yes, they definitely work.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
maquinapescado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post

I have one and prefer it because of the low profile. I don't care for the angler models with pockets because I don't need all that. I am a minimalist for tackle. Hooks, weights, couple hammer baits and irons. If the CO2 doesn't work you can manually inflate it quickly.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Saba Slayer

X2

X2 on the inflatables...manual type only... !
Very comfortable...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
spudz

My old PFD worked fine until my dog got a hold of it. Considered getting another Stohlquist, but just wanted to see what preferences are by the people who use them the most. I haven't been in the market for a PFD in years. Sounds like I'll be trying on a bunch of over the weekend. Haven't really considered the CO2 charged inflatable... like Rocketfish I'm leery of it failing when I need it the most! Comfort and a functional place for my VHF are my tops. Don't necessarily need a bunch of pockets.
Thanks all!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudz View Post
My old PFD worked fine until my dog got a hold of it. Considered getting another Stohlquist, but just wanted to see what preferences are by the people who use them the most. I haven't been in the market for a PFD in years. Sounds like I'll be trying on a bunch of over the weekend. Haven't really considered the CO2 charged inflatable... like Rocketfish I'm leery of it failing when I need it the most! Comfort and a functional place for my VHF are my tops. Don't necessarily need a bunch of pockets.
Thanks all!
I like the Kokatat Bahia. Great fit. Nice radio pouch. Neoprene on the shoulder straps. Well constructed.
OEX MB had them last year in stock.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #11
spudz

Thanks all!
I tried on several different PFD's (Kokatat MsFit, Stohlquist Fisherman, NRS Ninja, NRS CVest, NRS Chinook, MTI Voyager) and was even able to try a few on the water. I picked the Kokatat Bahia Tour, as recommended by Batmann. Not as bulky as some of the before mentioned PFD's, love the layout - pocket for my VHF and dikes. Most of all, it was comfortable to paddle in.

Last edited by spudz; 04-03-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
Deamon

Quote:
Thanks all!
I tried on several different PFD's (Kokatat MsFit, Stohlquist Fisherman, and NRS Ninja, NRS CVest, MTI Voyager) and was even able to try a few put on the water. I picked the Kokatat Bahia Tour, as recommended by Batmann. Not as bulky as some of the before mentioned PFD's, love the layout - pocket for my VHF and dikes. Most of all, it was comfortable to paddle in.
I appreciate the info. Time for a new pfd so went with your suggestions. Found them at clearance in Austin Kayak for $99 free shipping. Didn't check elsewhere...Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #13
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Found them at clearance in Austin Kayak for $99 free shipping. Didn't check elsewhere...Jim
rumor has it that company is owned by the devil!
Old 03-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #14
Deamon

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
rumor has it that company is owned by the devil!
Uh oh...5 Hail Mary's and 20 Our Father's??? Sorry abt that Andy! Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #15
Fish Taco

Quote:
Thanks all!
I tried on several different PFD's (Kokatat MsFit, Stohlquist Fisherman, and NRS Ninja, NRS CVest, MTI Voyager) and was even able to try a few put on the water. I picked the Kokatat Bahia Tour, as recommended by Batmann. Not as bulky as some of the before mentioned PFD's, love the layout - pocket for my VHF and dikes. Most of all, it was comfortable to paddle in.
I have this exact PFD and love it except my Standard Horizon HX851 doesn't fit in the pocket where a VHF Radio would go... too large... which is a bummer. I'm considering replacing it with the new Bahia Predator model... supposedly designed with kayak fisherman in mind. Still haven't made my mind up yet or not... but Kokatat makes a great PFD for sure...

- Ken

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #16
spudz

Deamon,

Fish Taco, the Kokatat Predator was one of the PFD’s I looked at but didn’t have a chance to trial on the water. Looked great!

When I trialed PFD’s I brought along the items I typically carry on my PFD (knife, dikes and VHF). Fortunately my radio fits well in the pocket of the Bahia Tour PFD. The lash tab location worked perfect for the placement of my knife. Having my dikes EASILY accessible with the hidden pocket behind the radio pocket was a bonus! Even has a D-ring to attach a leash to your dikes. Comfort and function.

Last edited by spudz; 03-31-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #17
Hunters Pa

I personally am not a fan of the inflatables. The automatics can go off if you get wet during launch/landing and the manuals wont deploy if some jackass in a boat or on a personal watercraft run into you and you are knocked out.

I'd say go somewhere that has a variety and then sit in a chair or on the floor and go through the paddling motion and see how it feels. See if it rides up, how it supports your back or is uncomfortable.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
Fish Taco

Quote:
Deamon,

Fish Taco, the Kokatat Predator was one of the PFD’s I looked at but didn’t have a chance to trial on the water. Looked great!

When I trialed PFD’s I brought along the items I typically carry on my PFD (knife, dikes and VHF). Fortunately my radio fits well in the pocket of the Bahia Tour PFD. The lash tab location worked perfect for the placement of my knife. Having my dikes EASILY accessible with the hidden pocket behind the radio pocket was a bonus! Even has a D-ring to attach a leash to your dikes. Comfort and function is what worked for me with the Bahia Tour.
One thing I really like about the Kokatat Bahia Tour (and I believe their other PFDs too) is that on each side there are THREE adjustable straps to really make sure that the PFD is on snugly and doesn't ride up on you should you take a dunk in deep water. Many other brands only have two straps in this location. I'm reminded of the episode in Jim Sammons Kayak Fishing Show whereby he tackles some rapids in Canada, flips, and nearly drowns. His PFD was not adjusted properly, and it slid up way over his head when he went in the water... not good. He readily admits his mistake and the importance of having it fit properly afterwards in the show. Just my two cents for whatever its worth.

- Ken

Redondo Beach, CA
2011 Malibu Stealth 14
Fish Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #19
beef78
Large Member

Ronnie fisher. My only complaint is that I wish it had two lash tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #20
spudz

What I missed about my old PFD (Stohlquist Fisherman) was being able to access my radio at my shoulder while paddling out on the water without too much fiddling around - easily hear what was being said and with a push of the button easy to respond to others.without holding the radio. Decided to add a couple of straps to my new PFD to make it a little more functional.

Last edited by spudz; 04-02-2016 at 05:46 PM.