Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
M4TT

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt and i'm completely new to kayak fishing and just picked up a Kraken from the awesome team at OEX SB.

I'm located out of LA County and would appreciate any words of advise on areas to fish. Not looking for specific spots, just areas to launch out of. Malibu is the closest beach to me but from what i've been hearing, it sounds like it's not recommended for beginners..?

All help is greatly appreciated and if anyone is even willing to let me tag along, that'd be even better!

tight lines.
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Hey Matt

Welcome!

Firstly if you have any questions then give the search feature a try, lots of information on here already.

The answer to your question will very much depend on you current skill level and comfort with the ocean.

Beginner - Get your safety gear, Vhf radio and PFD and I would probably do a couple of trips to fish the Harbor. Any Harbor.

Somewhat Comfortable - Bring minimal gear and give launching at Malibu Pier a try. Its a piece of cake if you watch the surf forecast and get out on a small day.

PM me if you want to link up sometime.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #3
octico

Welcome!
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
Starsky

Hey Matt, welcome to the forum.

I fished cabrillo for the first time a couple weeks ago, super easy boat ramp launch and a protected harbor is great for beginners, a lot of Bass and maybe Halibut can be caught right inside the harbor. Just watch out for the wakes. Also easy parking.

Redondo might be another option when the launch is ready.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
M4TT

Thanks everyone for the tips and warm welcome. I look forward to meeting everyone at the MBC!
M4TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4TT View Post
Thanks everyone for the tips and warm welcome. I look forward to meeting everyone at the MBC!
Welcome Matt, I fish Newport and Mission Bay a lot, if you go near the mouth of the bays it gives you a good idea on how you will feel about swells and get you used to the motion of the ocean.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote