Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #1
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

UV Protection Sun Sleeves?

I want to find functional quality lightweight compression style sleeves to protect my arms from too much sun on the water.

Just received some compression sleeves from Amazon that are very disappointing. "One size fits all" ... maybe they mean all children?
http://www.amazon.com/H2H-SPORT-Comp...ilpage_o00_s00

I'm relatively average size and weight - 5'11" and 180 lbs. These were too short to cover from my wrist to my t-shirt sleeve and stretched to the seam limit when I tried to pull it on.

Can anyone recommend a better brand or source that are good for kayak fishing? Easy to wash out fish muck and blood stains is a plus. Fast dry fabric. Some long sleeve UV sports shirts I bought are awful for stains.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-30-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #2
octico

I fish with these, they last a long time. I have had mine for a couple years, grant it they are all stained but still do the job. Who gives a crap about stains. your fishing, not gong to a fashion show.

http://amzn.com/B00ZV3TURA

octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

I like to wear Quiksilver long-sleeve rash guards. I'm 6'4" 160# and they work well for me; They dry quickly and are meant to get wet.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

I'm a cyclist so I naturally scorn triathletes...but I'll admit that some of the stuff marketed to triathletes is really good. Try 2XU sportswear as a jumping off point. It's good quality and affordable. Will stick to you better than cheap-o amazon import stuff.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
I'm a cyclist so I naturally scorn triathletes...but I'll admit that some of the stuff marketed to triathletes is really good. Try 2XU sportswear as a jumping off point. It's good quality and affordable. Will stick to you better than cheap-o amazon import stuff.
I cycle too, but those sleeves do not cost 7 bucks.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I cycle too, but those sleeves do not cost 7 bucks.
Agreed. But i think you really get what you pay for in technical fabrics. Cheap sleeves tend to loose their stretch and end up bunched around your wrists after like an hour or two, which is pretty lame.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
Johnp

I got a pair of Columbia sleeves I found in the bargain area at West Marine. I use them Mountain Biking and on the kayak. I have been pretty happy with them. Fast dry, and cool max fabric. They have slipped a little on the upper arm when biking, but if I make sure they are all the way up, they seem to hold pretty well. They were seven bucks in the clearance area, but will be more at full price. Found the buff uv gloves there also, would have been last choice as a color pick. But I just tell people I am fishing for "The Cure"
Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I wear a quick dry upf 50 shirt http://www.fishworksproducts.com/pro...il.php?pID=218 I don't see any use for just sleeves and it hasn't stained yet
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #9
FullFlavorPike

I got an LL Bean SUP shirt, upf50, for $5, nwt at Goodwill, but that was a lucky break.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
maquinapescado

X2 on the Columbia PFG upf50 shirts. You can find them for as low as 20 on sierratradingpost.com
Old 03-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
I think you really get what you pay for in technical fabrics.
Nice things that work well for their intended purpose are nice to have. Hence, this thread. We are drawing upon a lot of combined experience here.

I have a pair of single layer thin and loose fitting nylon fast dry travel pants that I got on the bargain rack at A-16 Mission Valley about 20 years ago that are nearly the same now as the day I bought them. Wish I knew who made them. Probably generic. Simple and perfect for any temperature or season. Blood doesn't stick at all. Fully respectable style for a cool margarita on the way home after a robust day of fishing

The Columbia shirts above look comfortable.

I've tried similar style sports shirts that come and go regularly at Costco. That's been hit or miss. Some are OK for fishing, others get discarded as bunk after a couple of fishing trips.

I recently found an elegant (for me) button-up long sleeved Columbia sports/travel shirt with a collar. It's made of some kind of rip-stop nylon-like tech fabric. It was on the discount rack at Sports Authority Grossmont Center that has been excellent for fishing and sun protection. I'm not a fashionista (more like a t-shirt, carpenter pants and flip-flop guy), but it's one of the best looking shirts I have in my limited arsenal if I go out for a dinner date. I'll probably screw it up, butt hay, that's the way it goes. Columbia seems to make worthy products.

Thanks for all the tips.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 03-31-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I like to wear Quiksilver long-sleeve rash guards. I'm 6'4" 160# and they work well for me; They dry quickly and are meant to get wet.
6'4", 160#? How do you keep your kayak down in the water? I'm 5'10" and when I was 160# everyone thought I was dying or something, to stop everyone from worrying I got my weight back up to 220#, now only my Dr worries about me.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 AM   #13
Denis_Ruso

Southern Fin Apparel

A bit pricy but I love the one I got from them.

http://www.southernfinapparel.com/co...ns/performance

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
Jimmyz123

I usually go with the full shirt. The sleeves can be annoying at times. I wear the sleeves when running and cycling, not for kayaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Vapor-Apparel-...s=SPF+clothing

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #15
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
6'4", 160#? How do you keep your kayak down in the water? I'm 5'10" and when I was 160# everyone thought I was dying or something, to stop everyone from worrying I got my weight back up to 220#, now only my Dr worries about me.
This might be a key component in why you and I have had such differing experiences with the same model of kayak? My metabolism is crazy active, so I have been tall and lanky my whole life. It's cool that I can eat whatever I want without any visible consequence, but it's a silent killer. I have to try hard to not go nuts and lead myself toward a heart attack!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquinapescado View Post
X2 on the Columbia PFG upf50 shirts. You can find them for as low as 20 on sierratradingpost.com
This is a very good suggestion!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #17
Harry Hill

Quote:
This might be a key component in why you and I have had such differing experiences with the same model of kayak? My metabolism is crazy active, so I have been tall and lanky my whole life. It's cool that I can eat whatever I want without any visible consequence, but it's a silent killer. I have to try hard to not go nuts and lead myself toward a heart attack!
I was like that until I turned about 35, then everything changed and weight was hard to keep off. A combination of hard work and a high metabolism meant I was eating 5 meals a day and not putting on weight but that all changed. Now I have to watch everything I eat and I don't work hard any more. It's probably also why my boat sits low in the water. Are you part of OEX Dave?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
Are you part of OEX Dave?
I am not in anyway affiliated with OEX, but I am a supporter.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #19
Harry Hill

Quote:
I am not in anyway affiliated with OEX, but I am a supporter.
I wasn't sure, I know they took good care of me when I bought the Malibu P2T though I wish I had waited and bought something different. It is doing the job right now but it is hard to set up for fishing. I can't figure out if I want the Native Tandem or the Jackson Cuda. I want to find something easy to paddle but stable so my wife feel secure. I need to paddle both solo so I can see how it will work for me but I also need to get her in them so we can see how they work tandem. In the meantime I need to stop in one of the stores and have them install another hatch on the P2T.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #20
Wanderingincircles
Junior

http://www.sportchalet.com/columbia-...FdKIfgodzVYHsw

Hope this link works. I'm on my phone. Columbia terminal tackle hoodies are on sale at sports chalet right now for $20

Looks like only XL's though. Just went back to the site to get one for myself and realized this
Wanderingincircles is offline   Reply With Quote