Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #1
Wanderingincircles
Junior

waders and safety

I've been looking around, and I see a few pics of people in waders coming off their kayaks. To me, this just doesn't make safety wise. Even with a belt, if there's any current and you unfortunately goes over, won't that still cause a big safety issue?

I get staying dry on your launch and landing, especially in our colder waters, but is it worth it?

I'm just looking for your opinions. I'm still new to kayaking (matter of fact, mine is still in the garage waiting to be taken out on its maiden voyage!), so I'm trying to get myself as ready as i can before being on the water.

Tight lines,
Jason
Wanderingincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
jorluivil

The water in your waders isn't any heavier than the water that sits outside of the waders so if you're worried about sinking its not going to happen.

Also, the waters in our coastal waters doesn't get to a point where you will have to worry about hypothermia.

https://youtu.be/2m0_naq0-qc

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 04-01-2016 at 06:47 AM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Here is a good video made by one of the most reputable kayak fisherman around. Jim sammons exploits the myth of drowning i. Waders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #4
stevie951
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingincircles View Post
I've been looking around, and I see a few pics of people in waders coming off their kayaks. To me, this just doesn't make safety wise. Even with a belt, if there's any current and you unfortunately goes over, won't that still cause a big safety issue?

I get staying dry on your launch and landing, especially in our colder waters, but is it worth it?

I'm just looking for your opinions. I'm still new to kayaking (matter of fact, mine is still in the garage waiting to be taken out on its maiden voyage!), so I'm trying to get myself as ready as i can before being on the water.

Tight lines,
Jason
If you have a Malibu kayak and you don't want swamp ass, wear waders, the water just pools where the seat is unfortunately! And when launching especially in surf, that moment is inevitable when a wave crashes over the front of your kayak as your a paddling out and if no waders- you are soaked for a while, especially if it is dark! So in my non educated opinion, they are only going to be necessary for launches when it is still dark and or especially cold out...

And Jorge is right, halfway through the day yesterday I had to pee so I was the guy out on the water in his 14 foot Kayak managing to take off his Waders in open water. When i managed to wiggle them off, I just threw them in my crate in the back the rest of the way and I was a ok (Granted the waders now weighed like 8 lbs cause of being water logged but no biggie....)

Question is, how wet are you willing to get? That should tell you if you really need waders or not cause other guys just night launch in shorts/waterproof pants and deck boots and or with bootys on their feet.. Badasses right, I just prefer to stay dry

stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:39 AM   #5
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Also, the waters in our coastal waters doesn't get to a point where you will have to worry about hypothermia.
Thats really an ignorant statement. You can get hypothermia floating around in Cabo or HI. Unless youre in the jacuzzi, the water is colder than your core and it robs you of heat. 55-60° water will shut you down quick enough.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #6
FARRIER

You most certainly can get hypothermia in our waters. Ive seen it. It can impair your ability to make rash decisions when it happens. As far as the waders go. You must judge your own risk vs reward. Also your own skill in the water. We have pretty accomplished watermen in our group here. But I jumped into a pool with mine on and no belt and im still alive to talk about it.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
FullFlavorPike

The waders are big. If you fall overboard and can't get back in because they're full of heavy water, then you can always shrug out of them, climb back into your boat, pull the waders up after the fact, and then keep fishing if it's warm out. More likely than not, the wading belt will trap air the waders (if it's on correctly) while you bob like a cork. You're not gonna drown because waders.

Make sure you buy a splash jacket to wear during surf launches. Take one or two shots across the bow and the waders full of water will ruin your day.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #8
Mahigeer

I purchased a pair of waders with zippers to eliminate removing when going pepe.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I have the unique perspective of living in many places where waders are a must for kayak fishing. I've lived the Pacific Northwest, and several states surrounding the Great Lakes. So here is my two cents: In places where the water is less than 60 degrees or air temps are lower than mid sixties I will wear waders and a dry jacket, (a poor mans dry suit, but very effective) If you were to take a spill in coastal Oregon or Lake Superior this setup will keep you dry and give you enough time to re-enter the kayak without having to worry about that instant cols shock hypothermia. Nothing but a survival suit will allow you to spend a long time in 50 degree water. In our local waters most of the time the air temp is warm enough during the day that if you take a lap full of water on launching you will dry off and not get too cold. At night I think I would be wearing some type of waterproof pants or jacket . I have some wading pants that have neoprene stocking feet and they work well for early launches on cloudy or cool days.

Also a wading belt works very well to keep water from pouring into your waders, and if you have ever gone chest deep in the water with waders on you realized that the pressure from the water seals the waders to you like a second skin, so you dont have to worry about them acting like an anchor and pulling your to your death.

Bottom line is this in order to be safe, always wear your life jacket, and know how to self rescue. In SoCal what you wear is going to be dependent on the water temp and the air temps, and how comfortable you are when wet. If it is going to ruin your day, wear the waders, if its warm and you have quick drying clothes then they probably aren't needed.

Keep safe out there and find your comfort zone.

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
YOYOYaker
Junior

When actually in the water with waders on, the water pressure forces the waders tightly to your body, leaving any places water can enter the waders very small in size. This, along with a wading belt keeps you pretty dry inside the waders. Just as long as you re-enter your yak quickly, you will stay dry. Stay in the water too long, and they will start to seep, then fill. The Jim Sammons video mentioned above explains/shows it best.
YOYOYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
acorad

I've spilled in deep rivers with waders on, the belt trapped the air in my waders below the belt such that I floated high and dry until I got my feet back under me.

Probably the air would escape fairly quickly, but I was pleasantly surprised at how buoyant I became!

Andy
acorad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #12
Hammerhead_77

Rivers are a different risk, since the current is the risk rather than just the cold. Also, that current can fill up waders and drag you along in a way that just won't happen if you dump it in the kelp or the surf.

Wintertime, with a belt and PFD, waders are an awesome way to go. Summertime I usually just roll in board shorts and water sandals....but I drive a PA-14. Less swamp ass.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
pingpangdang

There are many ways to use your pants, coveralls, long sleeve shirt, hat etc for flotation. Water survivability is taught to every Marine or Sailor.

You could probably do the same with waiders. You can either scoop up air or splash it in. Here is a video but there are many methods. Sometimes for pants you can tie each leg off fill with air then stick the crotch area under your stomach. ..Essentially water wings. The video method may be good for waiders so the boot can rest behind your neck.

I wear boardshorts but my wife complains about the stink if I get bloody from a kill. Waiders probably repel the stink a lot better. https://youtu.be/Fn80OMNrX4g
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
I wear boardshorts but my wife complains about the stink if I get bloody from a kill. Waiders probably repel the stink a lot better. https://youtu.be/Fn80OMNrX4g
Waders all day, err day! But my waders smell horrible lol. It helps to attract the toothy kine
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #15
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Waders all day, err day! But my waders smell horrible lol. It helps to attract the toothy kine
I turn mine inside out every so often and let them air out.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #16
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post

Thats really an ignorant statement. You can get hypothermia floating around in Cabo or HI. Unless youre in the jacuzzi, the water is colder than your core and it robs you of heat. 55-60° water will shut you down quick enough.
If YOU know that you can suffer from hypothermia in our own waters what do YOU do to prevent it? If you're wearing wool socks with some thermal pants and a sweater its fair to say that you're also ignorant by going out and not being prepared. Hell, if that's the case we're all ignorant.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #17
FullFlavorPike

Teh texture of the nylon fabric is perfect for scrubbing mackerel slime off your hands, too.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:23 PM   #18
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
If YOU know that you can suffer from hypothermia in our own waters what do YOU do to prevent it? If you're wearing wool socks with some thermal pants and a sweater its fair to say that you're also ignorant by going out and not being prepared. Hell, if that's the case we're all ignorant.
I dont tell newbs not to worry about it.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #19
Pinhead
We all Stink Sometimes!

When it's cold, I'm wearing 1mm wetsuit type waist-high pants with splash pants over them, 3mm booties and a splash jacket over a long-sleeve dry shirt.....and a NRS life jacket w/radio.

I have been wearing waders for 30+ years duck hunting and know the risks and how to avoid the pitfalls.

For kayak fishing, it appears to me you can wear them safely by heeding the warnings of the kaking experts..........just be able to self-rescue, plan for the worst and enjoy fising.
Pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #20
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I dont tell newbs not to worry about it.

I worry more about hooks in my hand than hypothermia.

But Zed is correct. you can die in the ocean.

ALWAYS practice getting back into your kayak. NEVER go out alone.

two absolutes that everyone should keep in mind.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote