Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Ljs089
Junior

Hobie outback Mirage Drive

Hey guys, i have a quick question for you experts out there. I'm going to run by the nearest shop to see if anyone can fix this issue but here it goes. My mirage drive when placed in the click and go system only locks in place on the left side, i have to manually lock the right side in place.

Has anyone had this issue before? Now it seems that i have to press down a little harder on the right side before locking the drive in place, does a little plastic need to be shaved off? does it need to be worn in? I'm confused because this is a brand new 2017 hull that was pulled out of packaging.
Ljs089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Definitely go see andy. He should be able to give you an answer. Likely not a big deal, especially on a new boat.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

Make sure you’re putting it in as straight as possible. It can take some time to break in as well. Happened to me on two different hobies when they were new, but fixed itself.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

Dealer

Go see the Hobie Dealer that you bought your kayak from...he is the best prepared to offer warranty service if you need it.
This is the reason that Hobie recommends buying from a dealer in your area.
Don't cut any plastic until you've seen your local dealer.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
ProfessorLongArms

Fwiw, mines pretty new and I find I have to finagle it a bit to get them to click in.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Mahigeer

I am no expert here, but here is my experience to share:

The first time I got on an Outback in Baja, I had a hell of time getting the drive to seat properly.

It was me. In time, I got to do it easier. I would pull the black caps away from me thinking it would widen the opening. Actually they were supposed to be toward me.

It may not be the case, but make sure the drive is facing the correct direction.
You should be able to read the numbers on the uprights of pedals.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Raskal311

It sounds like the spring is broken, replacing it is easy Andy ordered me a new one about a year ago. 10-15min to switch out.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
Raskal311

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=57555
Old 04-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #9
TJones

Sold an outback recently and had same issue

[QUOTE=Raskal311;292418]It sounds like the spring is broken, replacing it is easy Andy ordered me a new one about a year ago. 10-15min to switch
Wasn’t aware of the problem until the guy that purchased it from me made me aware . Same problem. Spring broken. First time I’ve experienced this from any of my hobie’s
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
Raskal311

[QUOTE=TJones;292421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
It sounds like the spring is broken, replacing it is easy Andy ordered me a new one about a year ago. 10-15min to switch
Wasn’t aware of the problem until the guy that purchased it from me made me aware . Same problem. Spring broken. First time I’ve experienced this from any of my hobie’s
Right before selling my oasis one broke. LoL ended up pulling the click and go from my pro angler and wrapped it for the sale.

Keep in mind the swing is side specific so order the right one or maybe a couple of both for future use.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Ljs089
Junior

Fixed

Hey guys thanks for all the input! I'm glad to be part of this community because i often reach out to you guys who have had much more experience than me when working with these Hobie kayaks.

Anyways, it turns out the rivet was too tight on the right click and go, the Hobie dealership is going to fix it for me when i take it down to SD next week. He told me to use a flat head screw driver and that sometimes you can loosen it up, but i told him i'd rather him do it since i don't trust myself.

So those of you that said you had the same issue and it resolved itself more than likely worked it in overtime and it loosened up, i too thought i was putting in the mirage drive wrong at first but after a lot of research and practice i realized it was a failure in one of the click and go mechanism. Thanks for all the advice guys, you helped me troubleshoot the problem.
Ljs089 is offline   Reply With Quote