Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
old_rookie

what does this mean?

Taking a look at the dfg site regulations:

Rockfish
The recreational fishery for rockfish (Sebastes sp.) is open to divers2 and shore-based anglers year-round (see important NOTE at the end of this section) . This fishery is closed to boat-based anglers as of January 1, 2011. These species may only be taken or possessed4 in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep*. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on bocaccio (2 per person, minimum size limit of 10 inches total length, also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit). Yelloweye rockfish, canary rockfish, bronzespotted rockfish, and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero).

4 These fish may be possessed in closed waters only aboard vessels in transit with no fishing gear in the water.

I read it as: I can catch rockfish in water shallower than 360 feet or ummm... have it on my kayak in the bay if no line is in the water and paddling around??... I think.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post

Rockfish
The recreational fishery for rockfish (Sebastes sp.) is open to divers2 and shore-based anglers year-round (see important NOTE at the end of this section) . This fishery is closed to boat-based anglers as of January 1, 2011. These species may only be taken or possessed4 in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep*. The daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish in combination of all species within the RCG Complex (includes all species of Rockfish, Cabezon and Greenlings) per person, with a sub-limit on bocaccio (2 per person, minimum size limit of 10 inches total length, also included in the 10 fish RCG Complex aggregate limit). Yelloweye rockfish, canary rockfish, bronzespotted rockfish, and cowcod may not be retained (bag limit: zero).

4 These fish may be possessed in closed waters only aboard vessels in transit with no fishing gear in the water.

I read it as: I can catch rockfish in water shallower than 360 feet or ummm... have it on my kayak in the bay if no line is in the water and paddling around??... I think.
Rockfish are off limits until March 1st, Lincod are off limits until April 1st, unless you are fishing in Mexican waters. Also to this the Yelloweye, Canary, and CowCod are off limits completely.

In short, if you want to keep rockfish right now you need to take a boat ride to the Islands. The Regs are a little confusing but rockfishing is something I have done a lot of study on.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

I just talked to DFG a couple weeks ago, while he had his hand in everything I had, at Refugio, and he told me the same, year round off the beach...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

If in doubt feel free to call them as be clear, it would suck to get popped.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Willy

Quote:

This stipulation is for those who do go into Mexican waters. So if you do catch some rockfish or lings in places where they don't care to manage species, you can still take your catch home to (or through) places where they do manage the species.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Rockfish are off limits until March 1st, Lincod are off limits until April 1st, unless you are fishing in Mexican waters. Also to this the Yelloweye, Canary, and CowCod are off limits completely.

In short, if you want to keep rockfish right now you need to take a boat ride to the Islands. The Regs are a little confusing but rockfishing is something I have done a lot of study on.

Where does one find these dates you speak of?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Where does one find these dates you speak of?
Page 18 it should say Southern Management Area.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
dorado50

If you do catch in Mex. don't forget to fill out declaration of entry form before entering back to U.S.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
sdtangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
If you do catch in Mex. don't forget to fill out declaration of entry form before entering back to U.S.
If you dont have your declaration you will get fined per fish....
sdtangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtangler View Post
If you dont have your declaration you will get fined per fish....
If you are fishing on the Charter boats out of the Landings you are safe. If you are on a private boat then you need the declarations. Trust me on these dates here in American waters you do not want to keep rockfish right now.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
If you are fishing on the Charter boats out of the Landings you are safe. If you are on a private boat then you need the declarations. Trust me on these dates here in American waters you do not want to keep rockfish right now.

no kidding?!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
Jimmyz123

It's in the DFG regs but on this side of the border rockfish are off limits until March 1st and Lingcods are April 1st.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I just talked to DFG a couple weeks ago, while he had his hand in everything I had, at Refugio, and he told me the same, year round off the beach...
That is exactly what it says. You can take the specified limits while diving or fishing from shore in waters less than 360 feet deep year round.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
That is exactly what it says. You can take the specified limits while diving or fishing from shore in waters less than 360 feet deep year round.
So if you are fishing on the beach and catch a Lingcod you can keep it year round? I guess the likelyhood of catching a Ling from the beach or any of those is not that great.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
mtnbykr2

The park host at Refugio did catch a short ling from the beach in early December, Time to hunt the striper...lol
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote