Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
philr21

Success! First Korean River Tarpon

During my tour in Korea I'm definitely trying to catch a couple species of fish that I hadn't ever caught before. I heard the Korean River Tarpon called gangjuchi in Korea, were in a river about 45 minutes from where am at. They are actually a predatory carp. Average size is probably about 14 inches. Not having a clue of where to start, I took an ultralight rod with 5lb floro, and some ultralight Shad Raps, and decided to troll from the kayak along the shorelines. After a couple of hours, I found some fish holed up.

I was quite surprised when I had snagged the bottom, and the bottom moved on me. I was sure I had snagged a carp in the side as the fish was too heavy to move. After about ten minutes I got the fish to the net, and it barely fit.

I was happy just to catch the smaller ones, and thought maybe at some point I'd catch a larger one. Had no idea I'd catch one this size on my first attempt. Was a good day on the water.... hope to get out and do it again soon. All fish were released.
Attached Images

philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
philr21

More pics.....
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

Beautiful fish. Average size 14 inches huh, that one must of been a huge surprise. We're there any tarpon like jumps? Great catch. One day...
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Is that a banded krait snake swimming in the water? Wow you don't wanna get bit by that bad boy

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
philr21

Unfortunately, no jumps. Easy to tell the bass because they all jump right away.

The large one definitely pulled hard enough to make it interesting though. I thought for sure I was bringing something up sideways, I just couldn't get the fish up.

Think the snake is what we call Yamakagashi in Japan, or tiger keelback. Very poisoness but beleive rear fanged so they really would have to get ahold of you. Then again could be wrong.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
roadx

that looks like a ladyfish. i was catching them in the surf last month when i was in Florida. they are in the tarpon family

Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
kobra

Congrats on another successful mission. Great looking frog water. Looks like a real blast.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
philr21

Yep, have caught plenty of ladyfish, and they seem fairly similar. These guys are actually in the carp family which makes things a bit odd.

They also have slime like a ladyfish.

Frogging here sucked. Tried for a couple hours without a hit. Was hoping fora snakehead in the shallow canal but wasn't meant to be.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i think they look like silver snook. lol. pretty cool! hope i can scratch those off the species list one day!
Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
rpd

Very Interesting. Looks like if I ever visit Korea I have a few species to cross off. Thanks for the report!!
rpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr21 View Post
Unfortunately, no jumps. Easy to tell the bass because they all jump right away.

The large one definitely pulled hard enough to make it interesting though. I thought for sure I was bringing something up sideways, I just couldn't get the fish up.

Think the snake is what we call Yamakagashi in Japan, or tiger keelback. Very poisoness but beleive rear fanged so they really would have to get ahold of you. Then again could be wrong.
Ahhh, very cool. Couldn't see the checker pattern from the picture, looked like straight bars. I love reps like this that give us a glimps of nature on the other side of the planet. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful photos and write up

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote