Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Mikey Likes It

Hi I'm Mikey and I'm Addicted to Kayak Fishing

My kayak fishing story starts three months ago in the middle of June when I cashed in some change I had been collecting over the years and bought a $350 cobra explorer off someone on craigslist. It came complete with a seat, paddle, life vest, and wheels so all I needed was fishing supplies. I went to Walmart, bought a cheap rod/reel combo and began fishing the San Diego bays.

I live in Ocean Beach so I would go to San Diego or Mission Bay and fish cut squid, anchovies, and plastic big hammers for bass and the hopes of a halibut. I caught a bunch of sand bass, spotted bay bass, and sculpin in the bays while I practiced maneuvering my kayak between boats and wakes. After a couple of weeks I knew it was time to step it up and go to La Jolla with the big boys.

My first sand bass. Caught in SD bay near shelter island pier:
Name:  IMG_0042.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  84.9 KB
My first Sculpin. Caught in SD Bay by moored sailboats near Bali High
Name:  IMG_0098.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  74.4 KB

In July I started fishing La Jolla for calico and rock fish and came away with a couple nice sized calicos but snapped my cheap walmart reel while doing so I went to the local tackle shop and picked up a nice conventional reel and rod. I then thought I was ready to land a yellowtail or white sea bass. Little did I know what it would really take.

Calicos caught in La Jolla:
Name:  IMG_0080.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  76.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0065.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  92.6 KB

I fished La Jolla during late July but was unaware of the squid bite and the dropper loop setup till it was too late and the squid bite was gone. But each time out I met new people who gave me pointers and advice. With the help of people like Chris (CTF Photo), Yani, Gabe, Randy, Cliff, Chad, Wayne, Paul, Jeff, Sharon and whoever else I saw I learned about the proper setup, methods, and best spots.

August comes and I had my setup pretty much dialed with my bait rod, bait tube, and heavy duty trolling rod off my custom milk crate. I fished more often, woke up earlier, stayed out longer, and paddled further only to witness countless people hook up and land yellowtail around me. I hooked up with but got snapped off by two yellowtail and a thresher shark before finally the day came.

Last Monday I launched in La Jolla at 6am. There were no other kayakers on the beach or in the water. The surf had picked up and the launch was tricky but I made it out after plowing through some waves. The current was pushing hard towards the kelp and it was windy so it took longer than usual to make it out to the fishing grounds. The fog was so thick I couldn't see the beach and tennis club from the fishing grounds. I didn't make any bait for at least 2 hours but I kept heading further out. At one point I was thinking about heading back in but I kept fishing and finally caught 3 perfect sized green back mackerel and paddled out away from the kelp. I fly line one of the green backs and about ten minutes later my clicker goes off. I grab my rod from the holder but let the fish run for at least five seconds before I set the hook and begin to fight. I was all by myself on the water but I had learned from my other two hook ups and I was battling. I feel my line start to rub against the kelp and thought I was gonna get snapped off again but I keep fighting and after five or ten minutes I see the fish and the yellow on the tail down below as I'm screaming "come on baby." By the time I bring the fish to the surface he is dead tired and I land an easy gaff shot. I rip out the gills and just enjoy the moment for a while before paddling in. I still had two good pieces of bait in my tube but I decided to give them away to some guys on a skiff on the way in.

My first yellowtail:
Name:  IMG_0138.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  63.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0148.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  74.1 KB

After hundreds of hours on the water I finally accomplished what I set out to do. I called up all my friends and invited them over for fresh sushi the following night. We ate the entire yellowtail Tuesday night.

On Wednesday I meet up with Chris and Cliff and we launch around 6am. We make bait (greenbacks) and get to the yellowtail area but unlike Monday there are a whole bunch of personal boats and kayaks all in one area. I see a gap between boats where there are some boils and activity so I paddle straight through it and bam my clicker goes off. After a short 5 minute fight I land yellowtail number two.

My second yellowtail:
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  49.7 KB

The Wednesday previous I fished San Diego Bay and landed my first halibut, a legal one at 22.5". In one week I had caught two yellowtail and a halibut. Please keep in mind I currently am not working, not married, and have no kids so every day can be a fishing day if I want and I've taken full advantage of that.

My first Halibut:
Name:  IMG_0136.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  51.5 KB

I love everything about kayak fishing especially the people and characters on the water. The experiences I've had and people I've meet these last three plus months have me hooked on kayak fishing for life. I hope to see all of you out on the water sometime soon.
Mikey Likes It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your fishing success. More and bigger will come. Thank you for taking time to post. Tight lines an bloody gaffs!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
ctfphoto

Hey Mikey, Dude you deserve all those fish as you certainly put in the hours, learned as much as you could, and got up to speed extremely quickly.

I have had quite a lot of fun fishing with you over the last month. You forgot to tell the story how you jumped in the water to free Sharon's large fish that was caught in the kelp. I was bummed that she lost it before you could dive down, but still it was extremely funny to watch.

Welcome to the Addiction and now you get to enjoy it as the pressure is off....

Chris
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Vikingj

Nice report. Hardwork and persistence got you where you wanted to be and will continue to do so when you knock it up a notch and go for bigger & better. This is a sport that you can continue into your 60's, 70's, and ? Some of us even think it is better than golf!
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
driftwood

Make no mistake, Mikey was born for this! He has the eye of the tiger
and he's been kayak fishing for just a few months.

Hope you never loose that cat like intense look when you hear me say BOIL!!!!!

Gabe.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
YakMedic

I love how pumped you are on the sport and how you put in the time and effort to catch fish. When people are willing to learn the ropes and take their lumps, it makes landing that first target fish so much better.

The stoke only gets bigger from here
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

Great write up Mikey! I know you have put in tons of time OTW you definitely deserve it!

Congrats

Jeff
Old 09-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

Nice post Mike.

They are getting bigger!

Congrats.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
lamb

MIKEY LIKES IT!!
Getting groovy with it.
That's what's all about - being out there, having a blast.
And you have been, it sounds.

I heard when you learn how to love each new fish more than the previous one, they start loving you back.
It creates this special relationship.

Cool to hear folks you met on the water helped you out.
And that you listened, then learned on your own.

You gotta love the energy : - "Come on baby!!!"
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Congrats on getting your "1st's" and even "2nds". Looks like you're made for the sport, keep it up.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
steveooo

Excellent first post! Love the stoke
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
Cbad Mike

Thanks for a great first report!!! Keep up the good work.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
kareem korn

You wanna "lip" those sculpin. That glove won't help. Right there in that fat part of your hand under your pinky is a really nice spine. A nice poke from a rattler would really slow your stoke down.
If you wanna keep them (I highly recommend it) have someone show you all the spines to clip.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
kauaiboy04

inspiring post to newbies like myself! congrats!

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Sdspeed

little help for a rookie angler please!

Thanks Mikey , great reporting. As soon as my shoulder heals up i'm gonna take the plunge.Been lurking here for a year already and always learning .

Can someone please define the term "fly line one of the green backs"
I know the green back is the bait but when i try to define "flyline" I always end up reading about fly fishing. Is it just trolling with live bait on the line?

Also if I use braid to fish near the kelp with a mono topshot is the mono the same test as the braid and is there a rule of thumb as to how long the topshot usually is?

thanks!
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
ctfphoto

LOL, I fished with Mickey today.

Flylining a greenback mac means to use no to little weight on the line so the mac can run free near the surface. I have not been using any weight at all this summer.

The standard set-up for Yellowtail and WSB is 65 lb dark green braid with a 40lb fluorocarbon leader.

Last edited by ctfphoto; 09-24-2013 at 02:28 PM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
LOL, I fished with Mickey today.

Flylining a greenback mac means to use no to little weight on the line so the mac can run free near the surface. I have not been using any weight at all this summer.

The standard set-up for Yellowtail and WSB is 65 lb dark green braid with a 40lb fluorocarbon leader.
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote