Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Kayak insurance?

So since my fleet is almost complete I've been thinking about getting insurance for them I'm not a home owner so homeowners insurance is out of the question. I was just wondering if any of you guys have kayak insurance,good and bad companies, any information would be greatly appreciated...

Already tried to get more insurance on the trailer but its maxed out already at 500 which wouldn't cover anything if the guy that hit the kayak didn't have insurance
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:25 AM   #2
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-fishing-socal View Post
So since my fleet is almost complete I've been thinking about getting insurance for them I'm not a home owner so homeowners insurance is out of the question. I was just wondering if any of you guys have kayak insurance,good and bad companies, any information would be greatly appreciated...

Already tried to get more insurance on the trailer but its maxed out already at 500 which wouldn't cover anything if the guy that hit the kayak didn't have insurance
Check with your Insurance agent. Inquire about Renter's Insurance.
Prior to consulting your insurance agent, take the time to write yourself out a list to take with you or to discuss over the phone, this way you don't forget anything. Be specific about the all the coverages you want to have and be prepared to be flexible on deductibles and maximum coverages (be sure to cover Kayak transport, not always covered).
I've always had what some call "Overkill" for insurance but I've been in 2(two) serious collisions (one head-on) that were so physically damaging & financially expensive I would have been financially ruined if I hadn't had proper coverage (my hospitalization alone coverage "saved my arse"). I have actually "made back" (from the 2 accidents) almost as much as I had paid for the insurance over the years!
Depending on your Insurance company and your deductable, if your insurance has a combined (multi-policy plan) it could run you anything from about $12+ p/mo.
With my combined auto and renter's, that's about what I pay and I also have over $100K () worth of fresh/salt/Fly gear @ home (some collectable like Truline blanks/rods and Scott Heli-Ply Fly Rods) & a storage unit insured!
This is just my experience. I should disclose that I haven't had a ticket in over 30 years and no "chargeable" accidents in over 20. In addition due to my disability I drive less than 12K miles p/year with 2 (two) cars (I'm on one of those pay by mileage full coverage policies...NOT Progressive).
I don't know how your driving record is, so that may be a factor in he cost of insuring your kayak during transport, or they may not even cover it.
I hope this was helpful and equally hope your Insurance company offers or you find a decent policy to cover your Kayak.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
walrus

Great information for all.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
Toromike
Junior

call FLO @ Progressive LOL
Toromike is offline   Reply With Quote