Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2017, 05:52 AM   #1
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Mission accomplished.....sun up to sundown

I decided to slip down to halbut fish the big bay before the 6 day for casted rain. I launched at shelter island boat launch and put two poles out, one for bait, and one setup with the bounce ball flasher rig, with a purple and black jig, which I caught an angel shark on last year. low tide was going to be around 7am. I started bounce balling west with an outgoing tide,it wasn't long before the first mackerel only one I put it in my bait tube and kept on metering with my graph and bound ballin west.Just shy of the bait receiver I see movement on my bait rod...holy mackerel a full gangon...of junior mac's....greenbacks that is. No luck on the bounce ball rig so I put it away. With all the mackerel I need in my bait tubes I start fishing the bottom with a trap rig three way swivel 5 oz torpedo wt 20lb florocarbon . I am at the bait receiver and I see an aircraft carrier coming up the bay 3/4 of a mile away and I am heading to the Coronado side south of the bay so I cross the channel as fast as I can go. It was a spectacular view. With just a trolling motor with oars it was pretty much fishing all the way out and all the way back. No telling where a big flatty.....will show up. I only got bit on the junior mac twice one being a rake job and one being a 30 in halibut which went ballistic and bounced off the gaff after the hook was in it, tangling my pole into other poles but i was able to free my line up and get a second chance to gaff again,game clip on.... happy inauguration day to ya.....Peace out.
Attached Images

Last edited by MITCHELL; 01-19-2017 at 07:33 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:03 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

-------------}

(@- -@)
(----------)
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
Harry Hill

nice, I will join you one day as halibut catching fisherman. What is a bouncing ball rig? I see you got your steering fixed. Did you go all aluminum on your brackets? I was supposed to get down there on Wednesday but once again life got in the way of going fishing.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Nice fish!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #5
onetriphudson

Smart thinking man, nice job on the halibut. What's the tuna trolling rod doing on your boat?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
kirkdavis

I always enjoy halibut stories. My first keeper was on a cattle boat many years ago, and it went nutso when I tried to get the hook out. I didn't need stitches but I bled as much as the halibut. lesson learned....those thing have sharp teeth and are not afraid to use them. I am eager and ready with my halibut whacker when I catch one from my yak.
Thanks for the story.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
Smart thinking man, nice job on the halibut. What's the tuna trolling rod doing on your boat?
The Marlin/tuna rod is for bounce ballin it works bitchen and I get to play with it 454 Newell with 85 lb braid
Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
nice, I will join you one day as halibut catching fisherman. What is a bouncing ball rig? I see you got your steering fixed. Did you go all aluminum on your brackets? I was supposed to get down there on Wednesday but once again life got in the way of going fishing.
My inverted picture of my trolling motor with added aluminum brace kick proof and a bounce ball rig, you put any leader and jig you want.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Baja_Traveler

We knew that - I was talking about visitors to your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote