Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
DocHaole

Safety Gear for Buggin

Last year was my first lobster season and now I am counting the days until October. I have to admit that when getting all my gear for last season I didn't do terribly much for safety gear. I had my PFD, dry top and pants, extra LED glow sticks on each end of the kayak, headlamp and made sure that everything on the boat was leashed on. As I am upgrading some of my gear for this year I thought I would ask what else to get for safety.

Do any of you guys carry radio's, or flares, ect.

I have never flipped my kayak but I understand that things happen our there, and yes I do go out alone from time to time.

thanks for the feedback
DocHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHaole View Post
Last year was my first lobster season and now I am counting the days until October. I have to admit that when getting all my gear for last season I didn't do terribly much for safety gear. I had my PFD, dry top and pants, extra LED glow sticks on each end of the kayak, headlamp and made sure that everything on the boat was leashed on. As I am upgrading some of my gear for this year I thought I would ask what else to get for safety.

Do any of you guys carry radio's, or flares, ect.

I have never flipped my kayak but I understand that things happen our there, and yes I do go out alone from time to time.

thanks for the feedback
I bring a firefly and whistle tethered to my PFD which I don't take off.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #3
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Get a good waterproof floating radio, day or night, alone or with others you should have a radio. Check the party like its 1999 thread.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
Get a good waterproof floating radio, day or night, alone or with others you should have a radio. Check the party like its 1999 thread.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
DocHaole

Ok, I'm kind of a cheapskate but I know I should get the radio. Does the firefly send out any emergency radio signal or is it all the strobe light?
DocHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHaole View Post
Ok, I'm kind of a cheapskate but I know I should get the radio. Does the firefly send out any emergency radio signal or is it all the strobe light?
Spend the money on a radio. Its only $120ish. Not any more than a medium quality reel. You cannot afford to be cheap with the essential safety gear. Besides, you'll have access to weather reports, other chat from private boaters/anglers, and you can listen in on the CG for any warnings about naval activity, abnormal conditions, etc.