Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Fiskadoro

Castaic weekend fishing..

Short version fished Castiac for slow fishing and some dink stripers.

Long Version:

Decided I'd take my chances and fish on a weekend for a change. They planted Trout at Castaic and Pyramid Wednesday and I figure by Saturday the fish would be on them. The goal was to catch a big fish on a big swimbait.

So basically I spent all day throwing big trout baits.

Lovely day with a few clouds when I got there.

Set up a few drifts casting and dead sticking trout imitations but pretty soon the wind came up.

Clouds came in thicker and it actually got kind of rainy a few times.

Took some shelter back in a cove to get out of the wind and took a few pics of the yak.

Usually that area is bone dry, maybe ten twelve feet above the water.

So here's the bad news.

The water was really up,high as I have ever seen it, maybe fifteen feet higher then last time I was there and I heard they raised the level ten feet in last few days. I guess the goal was to cool the lake down for the trout and no doubt it had dropped a good seven degrees, but going from the seventies to low sixties in a week really shut down the bite. I stuck to my plan fishing for big ones, but they just were not feeding.

The trout were there no doubt, saw plenty of them, but the stripers were not feeding on them, and didn't see any Largemouth Bass eating them either. No balls, no boils, no nothing.

Maybe with the water temp the big fish, are just not moving around, and just have not found them yet but fishing the big swimmies was a no go. Then again all it takes is one...

Tough fishing for me because I'm used to fishing structure that is now much deeper in the water, and I could not find fish on any of my the usual spots.

I did catch few dinks playing around in the coves but saw no boils and no other fish caught so it was pretty slow..

If I had to call it I'd say Pyramid will go off first but you never know, and I might head back up to Castaic tomorrow, it's all good, sometimes you just have to put the time, and hit them on the head when they are in a biting mood.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 10-25-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
Jzo

Thx for the great report.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Sure is beautiful out there....thanks for the report!
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Sure is beautiful out there....thanks for the report!

Not much of a fish report with no fish and all

It's funny but if I post pics of fish people give me shit saying I'm putting people on bites, so I'm relegated to posting my no fish days. Fortunately I have no shortage of them...

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote