Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Steve Max

How do you trap rig?

Hello Fellas

I would like to know how you guys set up your trap rigs for bottom fishing...From knots to hooks and hook sizes to length on your leaders. Also, I am very confused as to where to place the "second" hook on the dorsal fin on lets say a green mack.. Is it in front of the dorsal fin or behind it? I have seen many fishing videos display this setup and it looks to be a promising rig for catching halibut and other bottom feeders. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

See you out in the water.
Steve Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I just bought size #1 circle hooks....

There just a little thin unsure how strong they are but that's all they had. I use a snell knot on the first hook 20-25 or 30 florocarbon.improved clench knot about 6 inches back on the second hook, if there no slack in the line the treble hook will pull out as the mackerel swims . I hook the treble hook either on top or bottom behind the dorsal fin.
I'm thinking about just use two circle hooks so the second hook doesn't pull out.
I have used them too with just the second hook swinging freely but you can snag the bottom that way

Last edited by MITCHELL; 06-08-2017 at 07:05 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
Steve Max

Awesome Mitchell. Thanks for the advice. I never considered the slack on the second hook. And now I know where to place the second hook. The only thing left is to hook up to a fatty halibut. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Tie a snell knot with your j hook, leaving a good 6+ inches tag, then tie your trap hook, treble with an improved clinch or whatever you prefer. 3 way swivel for 40+ feet with a torpedo sinker, less than 40 swivel and Carolina rig
Hook the trap near the anal fin, usually hook em just behind that. Hook sizes depends on the baits.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

I have never caught a halibut on a circle hook....

All have been J hooks or treble....
But after reading the halbut kings posts
I thought I would try some and let the fish hook it self since you don't swing to set the hook just pick up and start winning, but I like swinging to set the hook on a fish using j hooks
Old 06-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
GregAndrew

Double egg loop knots with Octopus hooks in 1/0 or 2/0.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #7
taggermike

There is a way to rig a trap set up where the front hook can slide. This is nice is your baits vary in size. Not sure what it's called but it works pretty well. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
There is a way to rig a trap set up where the front hook can slide. This is nice is your baits vary in size. Not sure what it's called but it works pretty well. Mike
The Halibut rigs at my LTS are tied like that. You can snell a hook onto your main line with separate piece of line, then tie your trap hook at the end of the main line. This way the hook can be slid up or down your main line to match your bait size.

I don't use trap rigs anymore unless it's a tournament because there's too much risk of gut hooking a short fish. I stick with single circle hooks, but I suppose one could make a trap rig with 2 circle hooks.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
Steve Max

Awesome you guys. Very informative and I appreciate the timely response. I have seen a trap set where you can adjust the hook to match the bait size. I can't wait to try it. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Instead of using 3 way swivels l--

I'm going to try something stronger....
2 barrel swivels and a snap ring you can make it slide....up and down maybe no resistance when the fish picks up the bait....
Old 06-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #11
OCPhisher

My search for sliding rigs brought me to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81fGIxeiG1I

Tried it for the first time this past weekend targeting Halibut in Dana Point with 1/0 octopus and 1/0 nautilus circle. Didn't hookup with any halibut but my son hooked up with a couple leopard sharks. Both times he got broken off at the end of the leader (20# fluoro). I'm guessing either the shark bit off (since only 20#) or the sliding hook (tied with 30# braid) contributed or was the cause of the break off.

Do you guys think it's better to not use sliding rigs and have some extra slack between hooks (if bait smaller)? What's preferred or the lesser evil of the two choices (?) I guess you could tie on the water, but I preferred to rig up night before. Often times I get a little sea sick tying stuff on the water.
OCPhisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
GregAndrew

The problem with adjustable trap rigs is that you will have to reset your bait after every swing and miss. The tendency of the hooks to get too close together (and horse-shoe your bait) gets pretty frustrating.

I have never found any 3-way swivels that I like very much, so I made my own. I am using 3 barrel swivels and a split ring right now and am pretty happy with that.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
The problem with adjustable trap rigs is that you will have to reset your bait after every swing and miss. The tendency of the hooks to get too close together (and horse-shoe your bait) gets pretty frustrating.

I have never found any 3-way swivels that I like very much, so I made my own. I am using 3 barrel swivels and a split ring right now and am pretty happy with that.

Are you tying your mainline to one of the swivels? Or the split ring? Not a bad idea. You're right most 3 way swivels are bad quality.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #14
GregAndrew

Tie my main line to one of the 3 swivels. Some of them are good quality, but still do not swivel properly under load.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #15
bwana

Danielson

I am not the halibut killer that others are on this site, but when
I am...

I like to use the black Danielson sliding sinker rig with a bead
between it and the leader knot.

When tying the sinker leader I use line that is about one
half the strength of my main line/leader so if it snags
the bottom I can easily break free just losing a sinker.

Having said that I have yet to snag the bottom with this rig.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote